WARNING do not use Duncan's affordable tree service.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    8603 Dix Road indianapolis 46259

317-862-5961

Was highly recommended to my parents by the contractor they use. Needed tree removed that was split in half during last storms. He went out and took care of the tree but with all the storm damage said he will have to get the stump out in a few days... They were going out of town and since he was so highly recommended by the contractor that is also a family friend they paid for the stump removal (yeah bad idea but again he works with family friend and all and small stump so not much of a loss)

Weeks later and many phone calls later and being told he will get bad reviews posted and it is still not done. Know one person that was going to call him to get some tree trimming done... Not now.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    8603 Dix Road indianapolis 46259

317-862-5961

Was highly recommended to my parents by the contractor they use. Needed tree removed that was split in half during last storms. He went out and took care of the tree but with all the storm damage said he will have to get the stump out in a few days... They were going out of town and since he was so highly recommended by the contractor that is also a family friend they paid for the stump removal (yeah bad idea but again he works with family friend and all and small stump so not much of a loss)

Weeks later and many phone calls later and being told he will get bad reviews posted and it is still not done. Know one person that was going to call him to get some tree trimming done... Not now.

I have actually heard this same story before about Duncan's tree service. A good family friend had them take down 2 trees a few years back. He paid them, they topped them said they'd be back in the morning and never came back. They left 2 extension ladders and several ropes, he caught them a couple weeks later walking around his property so he came out with a 20ga and they ran off.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Use Arbor Experts out of Franklin. He's a good guy and they rope up the tree, no boom trucks. Also certified arborist. Took 3.5 trees down for me next to our house without issue, cut and stacked the wood, and only marks were a few holes from the limbs hitting our soft ground. And that was while he was out of town, his crew did great work without his direct supervision and he trusted me to pay his crew.

2298 E 80 S, Franklin, IN 46131
    (317) 738-3024

http://archive.indystar.com/article...nklin-students-learn-about-trees-from-experts

Last edited:

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    This happens all the time when you hire unqualified fly by nights. To be sure you are getting a quality service look them up here. International Society of Arboriculture

ISA cert is difficult to obtain and shows a certain proficiency in the industry.

I would suggest to also ask for a certificate of Insurance and not pay until the job is complete. If they cannot afford to wait until the job is done then that shows poor business practices.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    This exactly
    This happens all the time when you hire unqualified fly by nights. To be sure you are getting a quality service look them up here. International Society of Arboriculture

ISA cert is difficult to obtain and shows a certain proficiency in the industry.

I would suggest to also ask for a certificate of Insurance and not pay until the job is complete. If they cannot afford to wait until the job is done then that shows poor business practices.

Being ISA certified isn't required to be a good tree service but your odds of getting someone who is passionate about their job is much improved. I'm slow to go back for stumps sometimes because I like to book a full day of them but I clearly communicate that with the clients.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am not in the tree service business. I'm a general contractor, but this kind of story puts a bad taste in peoples mouth's for a lot of small businesses.
    It is for this reason, and a few others, that I always put a disclosure in my written proposals regarding payment.
    My proposals ALWAYS read,
    "...materials money will be supplied before start of work."
    "...remaining labor monies are due in full upon satisfactory completion of work."

There is little ambiguity. I don't get paid until you say o.k.

Keeps me on my toes.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Bye bye. You'll never get a contract from me. If you can't fund the job, you have no business in the contracting business.
    Problem is with a lot of these kinds of jobs it's not about the contractor's ability to fund it but the customer's willingness to pay for it when it's all said and done. I'd bet money it's more about loss mitigation than anything else.

I don't have a problem with materials cost up front or half due on signing. But I won't pay the full amount until the job is done.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Problem is with a lot of these kinds of jobs it's not about the contractor's ability to fund it but the customer's willingness to pay for it when it's all said and done. I'd bet money it's more about loss mitigation than anything else.

I don't have a problem with materials cost up front or half due on signing. But I won't pay the full amount until the job is done.

yeah, people can be jerks and it's not worth the contractor losing 100% of time+material if he runs into one.

If a contractor needs every job he bids I don't want him. If he sets rules to protect himself then he's concerned about his longevity and likely more reliable.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Yeah if you hire company x to do some $$$ not to mention if the materials are not used all that often and company x pays for it and then you the customer backs out then they are stuck with materials that they paid for but who knows when they will be able to use it on another job.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    We don't.

We bill for work completed or stored material purchased. We have to document all material being billed for with either invoices or proof of material on hand (pictures, etc.).

Who is "we?" What kind of business? An electrical r plumbing contractor I could see this, but a GC doing renovations/etc, no way.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I am not in the tree service business. I'm a general contractor, but this kind of story puts a bad taste in peoples mouth's for a lot of small businesses.
    It is for this reason, and a few others, that I always put a disclosure in my written proposals regarding payment.
    My proposals ALWAYS read,
    "...materials money will be supplied before start of work."
    "...remaining labor monies are due in full upon satisfactory completion of work."

There is little ambiguity. I don't get paid until you say o.k.

Keeps me on my toes.

:yesway:...Yup......at's way my shizz rolls...never had a pro'lem, or dis-satsfied client, neither.....
    (material(s).....if it 500.00 or under....I'a usually go on with it.....)

Bye bye. You'll never get a contract from me. If you can't fund the job, you have no business in the contracting business.

Then I'd say..."C-ya.....good luck......"......been STUK b'fore, dude.....more'n once'd......big'st was the tune o' 7K.....EVERbody cain't eat 'at kind'a pile....You may Phek me on'a labor......but when the material arrives.....I'a git'a chek from ya fer that.....or I'll tell'em ta take it back the shop/yard....:yesway:
    Custom orders is cash up front.....PERIOD.....at' shizz is NON-returnable.....

Any body worth a shizz....or legit....don't xpect ya to.....
    What percentage of business owners operate without operating loans or a tiered payment system from their customers?
    BIG shizz(jobs) I'll do a tier'd pay.....demand it, actually...it ain' un-common...I'a turn in time, or % o' work done throughout said job
    Ain't never taken a loan ta fund a job.....an' WON't , neither......:noway:

Yeah if you hire company x to do some $$$ not to mention if the materials are not used all that often and company x pays for it and then you the customer backs out then they are stuck with materials that they paid for but who knows when they will be able to use it on another job.

Like said up a bit......BEEN'ere......more'n once'd.....cost ya as much in time an' legal shizz......or MORE jus' ta collect whut due ya.....

Top Bottom