• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I had to in case I die and she needs to know a ballpark figure for all my guns and reloading equipment. Though I told her to give it to our son when he gets older.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    When in Cabelas, I follow up the gun counter with a trip down the boat section. After seeing a couple boats with $20k price tags, a new rifle doesn't seem so bad.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Worse still don’t add up what you’ve paid and then what you lost when you sold. Assuming some folks sell guns - many don’t - but I always seem to need to sell one or more guns to get the next “whatever” I seem to think I need.

ccha8778

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    The Region
    Having spent a lot on guns isn't a terrible thing necessarily. If you're buying quality guns you can usually sell them for a high % of what you spent. Spend your money on quality products would be my best advice.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm down to just one 1911 I can use as a club if it doesn't cycle. I told my wife to just donate to a neanderthal museum.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The amount I have spent on guns/ammo is peanuts compared to what I have spent on my car hobby. Wanna watch you bank account empty, try to make an old car go fast.

Again, I can certainly relate to this and 100% agree. As much as we have invested in racecars, I need to race until I'm 100yo to be able to really justify it all.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I keep track of what they are all worth, but never have any concern regarding what was spent. In any case, I never borrow money for anything, so most people spend more on interest payments than what I have ever spent on firearms.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    50 Years of shooting, buying,selling and reloading. It runs about 1% of the budget, adds up to a lot of money on the surface.

I don't go to bars, professional/college sports games or own a bass boat. So it evens out.

Drink at home, go to the kids/grand kids games and own a kayak. Guns though, I have a tendency to get high end items...……………

Don

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I own an M16A1 clone from the Vietnam era. Carry handle and everything. Of course, it is semiautomatic. The designation it had when I bought it online was not an AR-15, but rather a CR-15.

The primary issue with this rifle is that it doesn't have a brass deflector, unlike later models. Naturally, I was blessed with being left-handed. Having hot brass go down the back of my shirt was quite motivational on finding a brass deflector much like the one I used in boot camp.

When I did find it I was thrilled! It was only $10.50 from a couple of guys at one of those tables that had several hundred boxes of knick-knacks. They had stuff from WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam and everything in between.

The part: $10.50.
    The feeling of success: priceless!
    The cost of driving from Fort Wayne, Indiana to the gun show in TULSA OKLAHOMA: I really don't want to know.

Regards,

Doug

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hobbies can be expensive. I never keep track of how much I have wrapped up in sex toys.

Reminds me of what I saw on the Facebooks:

Nurse: do you own any guns?
    Patient: yes.
    Nurse: How many?
    Patient: How many vibrators do you own?
    Nurse: (aghast) Excuse me?!?!? That's personal!
    Patient: Exactly. Next question please.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If you must consider what you spent consider also what it is worth. I have made more (potential) money on firearms than any other investment I've made. '42 SMLE for $35, a 1891 Mauser for $25...even my more recent purchases are already worth more than I paid. So, it's not a cost, it's an investment.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Make a list on a flash drive with serial numbers, a picture or two, and a current value with a brief description. In the unforeseen event you depart this earthly world before you are ready it can help those left behind with disposition of your stuff.:)

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Make a list on a flash drive with serial numbers, a picture or two, and a current value with a brief description. In the unforeseen event you depart this earthly world before you are ready it can help those left behind with disposition of your stuff.:)

Very good advice here.

However, if you do this with a new flash drive and you RUN OUT OF SPACE, then you're probably spending too much money.:dunno:

Regards,

Doug

PS - This is truly good advice that should be taken by all. Keep the flash drive somewhere besides the home in case of fire loss or some other event. Helps with insurance.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I keep a back up list in our safe deposit box at the bank. I was using current market values but would have to update every year. Told the wife whatever the boy dont get look them up on gb and go from there.

Top Bottom