Was anyone else lied to in their high school Government class?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I took Government class at an alternative high school that was self-paced and independent study. I passed out of the course in 2 days, without opening the book, and that was only because the teacher wouldn't let me take more than 8 chapter tests in one night (she was only supposed to let people take 1 test a night, I guess). Did the same thing with Econ.

I was then, and am now, amazed that a typical late teenager has so little idea of how their country operates that they needed someone to explain it to them for an entire school year, 5 hours a week (between those 2 classes).

Sounds like I'm glad I never had anyone tell me their version of the truth on those subjects.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    So are you saying that you were born with in innate genetic knowledge? Are you a Goa'uld?

Speaking of.....

I found a hot tub I want.
    owp7irt.jpg

AlVine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    High school? I barely remember going. I don’t think anyone is being lied to in their government class because I doubt they teach it anymore. If it is still being taught then it’s probably all lies these days. Does anybody watch PragerU videos? They have a young guy doing those ‘man on the street’ questions. ‘Why do we celebrate the 4th of July?’ ‘Who’s the Vice-President,’ ‘What was Pearl Harbor?’ Etc. Judging by those we are a nation of idiots that can’t even name the two houses of Congress. They can’t be teaching civics in high school anymore.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    High school? I barely remember going. I don’t think anyone is being lied to in their government class because I doubt they teach it anymore. If it is still being taught then it’s probably all lies these days. Does anybody watch PragerU videos? They have a young guy doing those ‘man on the street’ questions. ‘Why do we celebrate the 4th of July?’ ‘Who’s the Vice-President,’ ‘What was Pearl Harbor?’ Etc. Judging by those we are a nation of idiots that can’t even name the two houses of Congress. They can’t be teaching civics in high school anymore.

Yes. They still teach government. It's a required class in the local high school.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    It’s been a long, long time ago, but I took government in rural Georgia. The school had a tendency to use football coaches to teach government and history classes. The coach was a great guy and popular because he drove a Corvette, but it is quite a stretch to refer to him as anything resembling an instructor. To give you some idea of the level of difficulty, “tests” were generally matching, followed by a word search for extra credit. Academic rigor at its finest.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.

I am going to take exception to this statement. I am old and had an old school education, graduated HS in 1972. I had a proper fact filled education.

As I mentioned earlier my wife has taught Gov't for over 30 years. She teaches regular, AP and dual credit classes. They HAVE to study and know the material to pass. No easy way out. I started working at the school after retiring from heavy equipment and was pleased to see a group of dedicated teachers that are concerned about the students. They go to amazing lengths to encourage and teach the students.

There will always be a small number of kids who will not learn. A few have legitimate reasons, most of the failures have zero or negative parental support. There is literally no way a teacher can undo a lifetime of bad parenting in a few hours a day. Or are lazy and allowed to get away with it. The vast majority of the students are normal teenagers with a good number of superior students. Go to a local HS on awards day at graduation. Our small rural HS awards $300,000 a year in scholarships!!

The notion that teachers are not teaching is wrong. Like any other profession the exceptions get the exposure in the press.

Don

Top Bottom