• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • surferfox72

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    south bend
    i have only recently started my serious stockpile, but...when I did start this back in Sept 2012... prices were 28 - 34¢ a round for 223 now its more like a buck...rediculous

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    My wife, who has never fired a firearm, and who was very much opposed to me owning firearms at the beginning of our marriage, asked the other day about potentially getting a firearm and carry license after an armed robbery not too far from where we are.

On the other hand, I don't know anybody who has sworn off firearms after having them around.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What I can't figure out is, where all the increased demand is coming from for guns not even remotely on the ban list (.38 revolvers, pump shotguns, .22LR ammo, etc).

I think what is happening is that there are a lot of people that have thought they might like to have a gun someday. The current situation has them thinking that they had better get one now while they can, so it's not that they are thinking they need a Glock 17, but just that they've been pushed past the tipping point from 'I might want' to 'I do want'. They may go shopping with a Glock in mind, but the reality brings them to buy something else. They had turned the corner on deciding to buy a gun and it's just down to what's available now.

Even Mosin's seem to be in short supply right now.

joale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    we've never had a commi president before, hang on for the ride

So the ban under Clinton was non-commie?

What would you call the President under which the Patriot Act was passed...non-commie as he was a republican?

Where there is power, there is corruption....and an effort to grab more power.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I survived the '94 ban and barely noticed it, it was nothing as panicky as this. I think the Internet is partly to blame, or more precisely the way any idiot with a modem can set up a blog and declare the end is nigh or set up a little home business selling p-mags to the world.

Internet access, especially at speeds beyond dialup, was a lot less common in '94. If you wanted to say something to the world, you had to call a radio show or write the editor of a newspaper. If you wanted to sell something, you had to put ads out or take it to a gun shop.

Panic and profiteering were tougher to spread, in other words.
    Use to be the only way to make a private sale or purchase was the old "Trader Paper" (which you made it a point to get to where you normally purchased it as early as possible to buy one when the latest copy came out) or through word of mouth.

Yodes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Noble County
    It seems to me that a sizable portion of the country was not in favor of the re-election of the current President. Combine this with a genuine fear of the 2nd Amendment being trampled on and also the apparent increase of violent crime, home invasions, etc. etc. and we have a lot of people waking up, or at least realizing that they should perhaps take precautions.

Like others here, I know several people who have very recently decided that they need to be ready to protect themselves. The people I know though, tend to be more concerned about a lessening police presence and an increasing desperation amongst some elements of society.

If every eligible voter was asked whether Obama stays in office it would be overwhelmingly NO! Unfortunately, too many people think voting is a waste of time. I agree many people are much more concerned about protecting themselves, families, and property than fighting government. They're concerned our nation is headed for a crisis and possible anarchy. I've seen people in gunshops buying guns who look like they would not normally purchase a gun. There is no way the military and police could disarm every American -- there aren't enough of them and their are too many of us. Besides, more and more Sheriffs are publicly saying they will not violate the 2nd Amendment and disarm Americans.

Yodes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Noble County
    Very little ammo left around here. Looks like an ammo ban. If your in the market, a 30-06 rifle might be a good choice. I've seen 30-06 ammo in every store I've visited. A gun dealer told me gun and ammo orders are 6-12 months back ordered. Much ammo sold at Sportsman's Guide is months back ordered.

Yodes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Noble County
    we've never had a commi president before, hang on for the ride

Well...Obama did give us fair warning. He said he would fundamentally transform the U.S.A., that could mean anything and everything. Maybe we'll all end up paying 90% income tax rate before he is done raping and pillaging liberties. Unfortunately, most of the nation's elected representatives either want what he wants or are too scared to stand up to his bullying.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I'm sure the increase in guns being purchased and the addition of millions of new gun owners is partly to blame for the lack of ammo out there, but I think the more pressing problem is the hoarders who are snapping up any cartridge out there. Some of them may be truly concerned about stockpiling for a SHTF situation, but I'd bet many more are just feeding on the paranoia and creating the supply bottleneck so they can turn around and make a huge profit.

I'm willing to bet that the many of the people with the biggest stockpiles of ammo right now don't even own guns in the calibers they're buying. They just know that gun owners, unable to find ammo elsewhere, will have to turn to them for supplies, and at that point they can charge whatever they want.

To the retailers who are trying their best to curtail this by placing limits on the number of boxes of ammo purchased, I thank you. You're doing your best to combat the problem of the few that are exploiting the free market for their own personal gain.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm really starting to regret my decision for the simple fact that now I can't find ammo for any of my guns and when I do come across some the price is nuts!! So my question is, did it get this bad before? How long did it take to calm down?

It has never been like this and it is not going to ratchet down.

Even if nothing comes out of Congress demand will continue to climb. No one is going to be caught without their hats like they have been now.

I, like all good ladies of Boston, already have my hats. However, many others on INGO will vow never to be wihtout hats.:D

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    In the past I would occasionally sell a rifle or pistol that I wanted at the time but never got around to shooting to buy something else. But now there isn't much out there and if I find something I will have to pay an inflated price.
    There are a couple of guns that I was thinking of selling, but the money isn't going to do me much good if I can't buy what I want.
    To answer the original question...I have never seen it this bad!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If every eligible voter was asked whether Obama stays in office it would be overwhelmingly NO! Unfortunately, too many people think voting is a waste of time. I agree many people are much more concerned about protecting themselves, families, and property than fighting government. They're concerned our nation is headed for a crisis and possible anarchy. I've seen people in gunshops buying guns who look like they would not normally purchase a gun. There is no way the military and police could disarm every American -- there aren't enough of them and their are too many of us. Besides, more and more Sheriffs are publicly saying they will not violate the 2nd Amendment and disarm Americans.

Unfortunately, it would be all too easy for Americans to be disarmed. They don't have to go door to door, most gun owners would willingly come to them. All they have to do is to make possession a crime with a mandatory jail sentence then, give an amnesty period for turn ins. Once that is past, they would just need to do probable cause searches any time they are called to a house that had any shred of evidence of having been a gun owner. If you had an LTCH and even if you turned in 10 guns, they would still do a search. In many cases, they would find a gun and then publicize the jailing of a normal person for weapons charges. Also, if anyone actually uses their gun to protect themselves or someone else, arrest them and open them to lawsuits by the person shot.

Do that for 2 years and then have another amnesty period. By that time, most people would realize that having a gun was doing them no good if it was buried in the yard and put them in jeopardy if it were found. That second amnesty would pull in most guns.

We need to be vigilant and never think there is no way they could disarm us. If my Glock is buried in the back yard, I have been disarmed already. If I cannot carry my gun for protection, then I have been disarmed whether or not they have taken my gun.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Unfortunately, it would be all too easy for Americans to be disarmed. They don't have to go door to door, most gun owners would willingly come to them. All they have to do is to make possession a crime with a mandatory jail sentence then, give an amnesty period for turn ins. Once that is past, they would just need to do probable cause searches any time they are called to a house that had any shred of evidence of having been a gun owner. If you had an LTCH and even if you turned in 10 guns, they would still do a search. In many cases, they would find a gun and then publicize the jailing of a normal person for weapons charges. Also, if anyone actually uses their gun to protect themselves or someone else, arrest them and open them to lawsuits by the person shot.

Do that for 2 years and then have another amnesty period. By that time, most people would realize that having a gun was doing them no good if it was buried in the yard and put them in jeopardy if it were found. That second amnesty would pull in most guns.

We need to be vigilant and never think there is no way they could disarm us. If my Glock is buried in the back yard, I have been disarmed already. If I cannot carry my gun for protection, then I have been disarmed whether or not they have taken my gun.
    Well said. Pick up a copy of "Essential Freedom". You'll be hooked as it is a real thrill ride. Even though fiction, it addresses the here and now of possible gun confiscation. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Liberty-Rob-Olive/dp/0985902000/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359308188&sr=8-1&keywords=essential+liberty]Essential Liberty: Rob Olive: 9780985902001: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Unfortunately, it would be all too easy for Americans to be disarmed. They don't have to go door to door, most gun owners would willingly come to them. All they have to do is to make possession a crime with a mandatory jail sentence then, give an amnesty period for turn ins. Once that is past, they would just need to do probable cause searches any time they are called to a house that had any shred of evidence of having been a gun owner.

And there are plenty of people right here in InGO who have publicly stated that if you were breaking the law regarding guns, even when no one was harmed, they'd turn you in.

The best time to fight any infringement on the RKBA is BEFORE it takes place. Once it's done it's many times harder to undo.

This coming from someone who wanted an "Uzi 9mm" because of the Terminator movie. I was 15 at the time. I was seeing them advertised in SOF and similar magazines for $600, full auto. By the time I was 18, those same guns were $10k+.

Any ban that takes place will be met by 99% of the people either rolling over and turning them in, or burying them deep. The very few people who take violent exception will be met with overwhelming force and will be painted as lunatics.

The BEST way to fight this right now is to remind politicians as to what happened after the 1994 AWB was passed when more of them lost their jobs at once than ever before. That's what's given us the slow easing of restrictions we've had until very recently.

Top Bottom