Was there a court decision about temporarily seizing gun during a traffic stop?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    The Mimms case is different because the driver was possessing the firearm illegally. So that is much different than someone who is legally carrying a firearm (assuming they are acting normal.) Not considering if the search for the firearm was warranted or not, this is still much different from a person who gets pulled over for speeding and the LEO disarms them without any other reason than the fact that they are carrying a firearm. So I agree with Fargo.
    I will also say that I do appreciate all of the law enforcement officers, and I would not want to face the things they could potentially face every day.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The Mimms case is different because the driver was possessing the firearm illegally. So that is much different than someone who is legally carrying a firearm (assuming they are acting normal.) Not considering if the search for the firearm was warranted or not, this is still much different from a person who gets pulled over for speeding and the LEO disarms them without any other reason than the fact that they are carrying a firearm. So I agree with Fargo.
    I will also say that I do appreciate all of the law enforcement officers, and I would not want to face the things they could potentially face every day.

No, that's not quite right. If it is, you're saying that an "illegal" search magically becomes "legal" if you find something illegal. It doesn't work that way. The search was legal to begin with. Let me ask you plainly, what do you think the Mimm's case rule on?

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I'm not saying "because they found something illegal" but it seems like they had reasonable cause to believe he had something illegal. To me that makes the difference.

Top Bottom