• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I'm sure there is someone who might be able to help me.. I bought a used washer and dryer set some time ago. (GE, nothing fancy) When the washer switches from drain to spin it will clank a few times rather loudly. I've already leveled it out to no avail. Could there be a bolt or something jarred loose on the motor? It's worked fine as is for 9 months or so, but since the weather is better I may want to drag it out to the garage and work on it one day.

999323_10151673434643966_1955855436_n.jpg

Also.. any old wives tricks to getting rid of bad yellow staining in the tub? These were in storage for who knows how long before I bought them, and the insides have a pretty gnarly build up. I thought it would go away with use, but a lot of it still remains.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    For the yellowing, run a washer cycle on hot. When the tub is full, add 2-3 cups of vinegar to the water. Let the cycle run. Y can follow this up by repeating the process a 2nd time using lemon juice instead of vinegar. Lemon juice will also help with any lingering vinegar smell.

You can try a vinegar/baking soda scrub as well.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Call Bell Appliance Parts @ 317-291-3829 and tell them what it is doing........the guy is an appliance master and will tell you what is wrong.
    Thanks. I'll rediscover my model number and give them a ring. :)

For the yellowing, run a washer cycle on hot. When the tub is full, add 2-3 cups of vinegar to the water. Let the cycle run. Y can follow this up by repeating the process a 2nd time using lemon juice instead of vinegar. Lemon juice will also help with any lingering vinegar smell.

You can try a vinegar/baking soda scrub as well.

I just went back in to look at and it looks like the yellowing has worn off from use, but only in the spots where the cloths would be rubbing the sides of the tub. I'll probably have to do the scrub first because I doubt the water would get up to the last couple inches of the tub. I do remember running a lot of vinegar through it after I first got it though. That, and cleaning out what looked like salt and pepper gravel. I think it was on unfiltered well water at some point in its life. Gotta love Indiana water!

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    The clanking you are hearing is the brake releasing. The GE washers brake the WHOLE transmission from spinning while in agitate mode. During the spin cycle the whole transmission spins with the drum. You probably need to service the brake setup. The whirlpools from about 1986 and newer are all direct drive with a coupler and the transmission is bolted to the chassis and is stationary except for the input and output shaft. Next time get a whirlpool! Nothing much to go wrong on them except for a $13 coupler and $40 water pump. Post up the model number and I can lookup the parts you need to fix this monster.

They(GE's) are a BYOETCH to replace the transmission when it goes out!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Thanks. I'll rediscover my model number and give them a ring. :)

I just went back in to look at and it looks like the yellowing has worn off from use, but only in the spots where the cloths would be rubbing the sides of the tub. I'll probably have to do the scrub first because I doubt the water would get up to the last couple inches of the tub. I do remember running a lot of vinegar through it after I first got it though. That, and cleaning out what looked like salt and pepper gravel. I think it was on unfiltered well water at some point in its life. Gotta love Indiana water!

You can use a vinegar solution to wipe the upper areas if the water won't reach. I'd only worry about the scrub if it needs the mechanical action of friction beyond a cloth to help remove it. Just make sure it's hot water with the vinegar. It makes the vinegar work a lot better.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    My buddy at work and I were just talking. He has to replace his 4 y/o Whirlpool washing machine. To replace the parts is cost prohibitive. Four years old, really that sucks. He is going over to Lowe's who have 18 months 0% financing for a LG machine.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    My buddy at work and I were just talking. He has to replace his 4 y/o Whirlpool washing machine. To replace the parts is cost prohibitive. Four years old, really that sucks. He is going over to Lowe's who have 18 months 0% financing for a LG machine.
    Is it "cost prohibitive" beacause he doesnt know where to go and NOT pay full retail for the parts? Is this a standard capacity machine that he is using to wash clothes for a family of 5+ and/or family of 3 or 4 and doing 2-3 loads PER DAY? They werent designed for that kind of use, the extra/large/heacy duty capacity are designed for that kind of use. I cant think of any part on a whirlpool machine that would be cost prohibitive to repair the washer considering they are $450 and up brand new. Even a transmission (which rarely fails in a direct drive whirlpool) is well less than $200.
    I guess I am biased considering I worked on Sears appliances for 2yrs after I got out of the Navy in 1998 and can fix just about any appliance, tv, refrigeration, etc.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Is it "cost prohibitive" beacause he doesnt know where to go and NOT pay full retail for the parts? Is this a standard capacity machine that he is using to wash clothes for a family of 5+ and/or family of 3 or 4 and doing 2-3 loads PER DAY? They werent designed for that kind of use, the extra/large/heacy duty capacity are designed for that kind of use. I cant think of any part on a whirlpool machine that would be cost prohibitive to repair the washer considering they are $450 and up brand new. Even a transmission (which rarely fails in a direct drive whirlpool) is well less than $200.
    I guess I am biased considering I worked on Sears appliances for 2yrs after I got out of the Navy in 1998 and can fix just about any appliance, tv, refrigeration, etc.

It's just him and his wife doing laundry. All I know it is a front loader. I will pass this info on to him. Thanks!

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    It's just him and his wife doing laundry. All I know it is a front loader. I will pass this info on to him. Thanks!

Front loader are totally different beast from top loaders. I am referring to the top loaders as almost bullet proof. (CHCRANDY) The water heater division of whirlpool is a very different place vs. the washer/dryer division. (use to be in evansville. Still might be). Thats like saying I wont buy a brand new Corvette because the chevy monza was a POS. Both made in totally seperate divisions and factories.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Front loader are totally different beast from top loaders. I am referring to the top loaders as almost bullet proof. (CHCRANDY) The water heater division of whirlpool is a very different place vs. the washer/dryer division. (use to be in evansville. Still might be). Thats like saying I wont buy a brand new Corvette because the chevy monza was a POS. Both made in totally seperate divisions and factories.

I wouldnt buy a Chevy Corvette if I got bad customer service from Chevrolet on a Chevy Cobalt. Customer service is customer service....that's all I am saying. If your name is on it.....it's your baby, regardless of which plant it was made in.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I wouldnt buy a Chevy Corvette if I got bad customer service from Chevrolet on a Chevy Cobalt. Customer service is customer service....that's all I am saying. If your name is on it.....it's your baby, regardless of which plant it was made in.
    Im sure you will go far with THAT logic. Go on with your bad self! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom