• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    So WTSHTF, I won't be able to continue sexting. Got it.

Btw, I was talking to a friend in DC 15 minutes after it happened on her cellphone. Must just be a provider specific thing.

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    Depending on what you mean by "took out" ... what happened was all the people that were making calls overloaded the network. The towers were still fine, but more calls were being made than the network could handle. This will happen during any major event. Networks are designed to handle the "normal" call-volume.

But the result is the same and your warning is valid. As we become more dependent on cellular communication, the more of a problem this will become.

Emergency services in major metro areas are dealing with this. They know they will not be able to use the "standard" communications services when a disaster hits. But .... right now most are dependent on the same service that the public uses. Even the EOC vehicles that go to disaster sites (or sometimes to a safer area if a hardened EOC is not available) generally use standard cellular services for quick communications set-up. After audio, video and data converged onto the IP network, handling the increased demand on the network infrastructure during specific times became a large problem.

Indianapolis emergency services are working on solutions to handle this situation during the super-bowl. I'm sure emergency services personnel who are members know more about this than I do. I only attended the early meetings that discussed the needs and various solutions for the remote EOC that was to be set-up near the stadium and handling the various live video feeds to the remote EOC and to other sites. And what to do if communications were compromised to that remote EOC site.

The report I heard was that the relatively moderate earthquake in DC (5.8) took out all cell phone service on the east coast for a while. Something to keep in mind.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    After Katrina, I heard the same thing happened. The cell towers were fine, but they couldn't handle the number of calls being made. If you find yourself needing to communicate during one of these moments, use text messaging. Texts cue up and are easier to send through a network than a phone call. You could also try voice messaging.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    After Katrina, I heard the same thing happened. The cell towers were fine, but they couldn't handle the number of calls being made. If you find yourself needing to communicate during one of these moments, use text messaging. Texts cue up and are easier to send through a network than a phone call. You could also try voice messaging.

Better yet if you have a smartphone use email or an internet program.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom