• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have found wasp spray to be highly effective against wasps and hornets. As far as "off-label use", if I'm using wasp spray for defense, I'll be using the can for offense. When you think of it that way, a fire extinguisher would be more effective. The old "fog and beat" method.

I too have found the efficacy of wasp & hornet spray high for wasps and hornets. However, I have yet to find a brand that has any effect on those brutish carpenter bees. If you hit them directly with the stream while in flight, they might stutter a bit due to the momentum of the fluid, but then they shrug it off and continue as if nothing happened.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I too have found the efficacy of wasp & hornet spray high for wasps and hornets. However, I have yet to find a brand that has any effect on those brutish carpenter bees. If you hit them directly with the stream while in flight, they might stutter a bit due to the momentum of the fluid, but then they shrug it off and continue as if nothing happened.

Tennis racket is highly effective for both the termination and immediate relocation of carpenter bees.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have yet to find a brand that has any effect on those brutish carpenter bees. If you hit them directly with the stream while in flight, they might stutter a bit due to the momentum of the fluid, but then they shrug it off and continue as if nothing happened.

They are a different bug and you have to get a different spray for them. I wasted a lot of spray before I talked to my exterminator and he laughed at me.

I would have been upset, but the knowledge was free and helped me get rid of those pests.

071121533715.jpg

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I once got a good shot of Wasp/Hornet spray directly in the eyes - I was about 8 years old and my cousin was (still is) an *******. He caught me as I was coming around the corner into the kitchen.

I don't remember whether there was any pain, just an overwhelming fear of impending blindness. Fortunately, he immediately did the right thing and got my head under the kitchen faucet to flush my eyes.

Having used it for its intended purpose over the years, I agree with those upthread; I could see it as an improvised weapon in a pinch, but planning to do so seems less than wise.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus

Spray them with oil. Coats their wings and they fall like a rock.

Form oil in a pressure sprayer works great but you probably won't have that handy if you're not on a concrete job.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I've heard that this is a dangerous prospect. From my understanding it does little other than to shock the assailant. Not to mention anger them. Better to spray with real pepper spray & Pray, or Spray with lead and let them pray.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The point I wanted to get across is this - while wasp spray can be an improvised weapon, it is not a 1-to-1 alternative to pepper spray for the simple reason that it is a poison and can cause serious bodily harm.

It is not the equivalent of pepper spray. It's a different "force level" imo.

JoeG1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    Greenwood
    my wife and daughter both keep a can in their cars. Long range and a lot of material to spray. I have read up on it quite a bit and keep seeing that it is better that pepper spray.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    my wife and daughter both keep a can in their cars. Long range and a lot of material to spray. I have read up on it quite a bit and keep seeing that it is better that pepper spray.

As my algebra teacher would say, "show your work." Because that statement frankly, is full of :poop:. The only people that agree with you are sharing BS information blindly with no real research. They believe it because they saw somebody say it was true on the internet.

You obviously didnt watch my video I posted above. Please do, and them spend the $10-15 for a can of pepper spray for them. (unless they are heavily insured by your life insurance provider and are worth more to you dead than alive.)
    (purple means sarcasm here if you havent picked up on that yet)

[video=youtube_share;9Uy9MnQfk_0]http://youtu.be/9Uy9MnQfk_0[/video]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As my algebra teacher would say, "show your work." Because that statement frankly, is full of :poop:. The only people that agree with you are sharing BS information blindly with no real research. They believe it because they saw somebody say it was true on the internet.

You obviously didnt watch my video I posted above. Please do, and them spend the $10-15 for a can of pepper spray for them. (unless they are heavily insured by your life insurance provider and are worth more to you dead than alive.)
    (purple means sarcasm here if you havent picked up on that yet)

[video=youtube_share;9Uy9MnQfk_0]http://youtu.be/9Uy9MnQfk_0[/video]

:dunno:

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Years ago my uncle grabbed a can of cutter off the back porch at grandpas and hosed his self down with it. Few minutes later he broke out it massive hives. Grandpa asked him what he did on the back porch and he told him. Grandpa laughed because he didnt own any cutter it was a can of raid.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I had a customer a few years back that came up with some new fangled "green" wasp killer.
    It shot out just like the regular stuff, but he swore up and down that this stuff was completely non-toxic to humans or pets.
    As a matter of fact, he said it was spearmint based, and that you could eat the stuff!

He actually sprayed some on his finger and licked it clean!
    I was not going to try that, but the stuff worked amazingly on wasps.
    They stopped moving on contact. Seriously, they would just stop flying and drop like a rock if hit in flight.

Great wasp spray, but I couldn't get over the weirdo eating it!

Top Bottom