• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I hear so many say they don't want a Wasr in trade. Why the bad reputation? Never owned a AK, but was thinking of getting one just for cheaper plinking and playing.

Are re they able to be upgraded? I am only looking to put a Vortex sight on it since I get my discount.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The majority of WASR owners are very happy with them. Part of the problem stemmed from a batch Century got in a few years ago that weren't up to standards. Most of the latest batch have been very good shooters.

One issue is that they enter the country with the politically correct narrow single stack mag well. Century or their distributors then open up the magwell to accept standard AK mags. If not done just right you can have feed problems, but lately they have been getting it right.

They do come with a side mount for a scope, so installing a Vortex on a mount is not a problem.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I currently own two of them. Never had any problem with either. The normal warnings in the past were to check for canted sights and mag wobble, but neither of mine were cursed with these.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have a WASR I bought about 4 years ago, and aside from having to file out the dust cover release hole, it has ran flawlessly. It puts lead where I want it to go, and has been 100% dependable with many crates of ammo down the pipe.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Curious. I'll be watching this. For quite awhile I have also been toying with the idea of getting an affordable but good AK-47 and I check out the Century's whenever at the LGS. I can only base my knowledge on what I hear or read from others and It seems the likes and complaints are all over the board on them so I have held off. The idea of adding and having to buy another caliber ammo also keeps me outside the fence.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I've got one of the early canted sight models. Not a big deal, honestly. I just adjusted the sight to make up for the cant. Works flawlessly and fairly accurately for a low-end Kalashnikov. No mag wobble here though.

Both issues are things you can readily see when looking at the rifle at a store. I haven't heard of the issues being common in years though. It was just a bad batch that had them.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    mine had a canted sight as well. I put a new sight on mine and filed the groove for the pin a little to straighten it out and it is perfect. I have never had a malfunction with it yet. shoots straight and goes bang every time.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    My 2002 WASR had a canted front sight and gas block and welded on barrel nut. The mag well looked like it was modified from single stack to double stack mag configuration by blind, autistic, spastic monkeys with power tools at Century Arms. The trigger slap was so bad, you had to wear gloves to shoot it. A little time on the internet and a couple of hours in the workshop had it repaired and in good working order. Now it reliably shoots minute of beer can, all day long, with no malfunctions.

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    The first, and only, AK I've ever owned was a WASR, and it shot well, and was surprisingly accurate, and I liked it, but traded it for something else. No regrets, and would buy another someday...if I were to get the money to buy one!

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I have had two of them in the past, and they worked just fine for me, but don't expect any great shakes in the accuracy department...like AK's are that accurate, but some do better than others. The best I could do was about 3 MOA. Guess that's pretty standard for most run-of-the-mill AKM's.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    I have had two of them in the past, and they worked just fine for me, but don't expect any great shakes in the accuracy department...like AK's are that accurate, but some do better than others. The best I could do was about 3 MOA. Guess that's pretty standard for most run-of-the-mill AKM's.
    remember the AK was made to hit a man size target at 100yrds. not put 2" groups in paper

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011

That is really good actually.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    How many brand new privates in the red army got an ak with a canted front sight post? I'd love to have an Arsenal, but I don't have that sort of budget. To me an ak is like a civic: they almost always go where you point them, without malfunction, and last forever. If I wanted heated seats, navigation, a DVD player, horsepower and style, I'd get a Chey-tac or some such. I'll most likely be getting a wasr to scratch the ak itch I've developed in the last couple of months. Do they make a cream for that?

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Woobie. I'll most likely be getting a wasr to scratch the ak itch I've developed in the last couple of months. Do they make a cream for that?[/QUOTE said:
    AKs are bad for infecting someone with an obsessive compulsive behavior known as Black Rifle Disease, (BRD). Used to be that only ARs could give you BRD. Now, AKs are known to do the same thing. They can hoover out any extra funds in your wallet, in a hurry. Almost as bad as being married and having kids.

Top Bottom