WATCH: 11 Indiana Cops Detain Entire Bar to Conduct Background Checks on Patrons

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It may be better to say that you will speak to counsel before replying beyond name, address and DOB.

I have had a few interactions with police officers that had a problem with my not informing, carrying openly, and carrying on private property.

In every event I knew the law and educated them. Two of them were very angry when the when they told me to leave and one (doing private security) ran away to a distant part of the store in a huff.

Knowing the law is absolutely necessary if you carry. The police are given many hours instruction in what is illegal, but it seems they are given little to no instruction in what is legal. It might be a good idea to at lest tell them plainly that if it is not illegal, it is legal.

I am always polite and never start an argument. I only defend myself against misunderstandings of the law.

I have never had an interaction that came close to the federal statute "Under color of law", but in my opinion I believe that this incident is over that line.

The appropriate action would be to take it to the feds.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I seem to remember in recent years (maybe within 2) a court case about police reading you your rights and police questioning a detainee and the court ruled that the police could keep asking questions and lie or whatever unless the person specifically asked for a lawyer. So just saying that you didnt want to talk or answer questions (invoking your right to remain silent) wasnt good enough.
    So if you get detained or arrested it ALWAYS is to your bennefit to keep your damn mouth shut and ask for a lawyer.
    It NEVER will help you in court by talking to the police no matter what they lie and tell you. But it will ALWAYS hurt you by talking to the police.

I think the biggest benefit to society with regards to police interactions would be to teach in schools starting from like elementary school that you do not answer questions and to keep your trap shut to the police. You are innocent until proven guilty. You dont have to plead your innocence to police. It doesn't help you. All you are doing by running your trap is self incriminating even if you arent lying. Your words can be twisted to prosecute you. I forget things easily and mix things up sometimes. I havw a medical condition. So what if i say something untrue to the police by accident and in court im made out to be a liar? I hurt myself by pure accident.
    I see so many people on those cop shows I used to watch who would have been going home that night if they would have not said a damn word to police. Guilt or innocence doesn't matter. We MUST force the agents of the law to always follow the law and PROVE guilt or get the probable cause on their own. This attitude of everyone is guilty from the start, really sucks

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It NEVER will help you in court by talking to the police no matter what they lie and tell you. But it will ALWAYS hurt you by talking to the police.
    It can help quite a bit to talk to me at the scene. For instance, I pulled a car full of teens over and when I walked up to the driver I could smell cut weed. That is PC for a search if I wanted to but I was not interested in making any arrest. I was interested in not allowing teens to drive away still in possession of illegal narcotics. So I told him that if he just gave it to me, that we'd throw it away and he'd be on his way. If he continued to lie to me (I won't lie to them and hate being lied to) I'd be forced to actually use my PC and I really didn't want to do that. I eventually gained his trust and he handed me his stash. We then BOTH took it to the nearest trash can and dumped it out. As I said, I let them all go...for telling me the truth. More times than you know, talking to the police has gotten detained persons out of trouble.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    If you ever pull me over and I have been smoking dope I will talk to you.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    It may be better to say that you will speak to counsel before replying beyond name, address and DOB.

I have had a few interactions with police officers that had a problem with my not informing, carrying openly, and carrying on private property.

In every event I knew the law and educated them. Two of them were very angry when the when they told me to leave and one (doing private security) ran away to a distant part of the store in a huff.

Knowing the law is absolutely necessary if you carry. The police are given many hours instruction in what is illegal, but it seems they are given little to no instruction in what is legal. It might be a good idea to at lest tell them plainly that if it is not illegal, it is legal.

I am always polite and never start an argument. I only defend myself against misunderstandings of the law.

I have never had an interaction that came close to the federal statute "Under color of law", but in my opinion I believe that this incident is over that line.

The appropriate action would be to take it to the feds.

So....
    You mean you don't actually tell the cop he's a NAZI or communist and demand *Your* lawyer every time you are stopped?
    You don't actually try to tell the cop what *Your* version of the law is and demand he obey *YOU*?

That's not what you recommended everyone else do!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It can help quite a bit to talk to me at the scene. For instance, I pulled a car full of teens over and when I walked up to the driver I could smell cut weed. That is PC for a search if I wanted to but I was not interested in making any arrest. I was interested in not allowing teens to drive away still in possession of illegal narcotics. So I told him that if he just gave it to me, that we'd throw it away and he'd be on his way. If he continued to lie to me (I won't lie to them and hate being lied to) I'd be forced to actually use my PC and I really didn't want to do that. I eventually gained his trust and he handed me his stash. We then BOTH took it to the nearest trash can and dumped it out. As I said, I let them all go...for telling me the truth. More times than you know, talking to the police has gotten detained persons out of trouble.

What are the odds they circled the block and came back and dug it out of the trash after you left?

Top Bottom