• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    A thread jack in another thread got me thinking...

Does anyone know a way that I could teach my Boston Terrier, Loki, to bark when someone's at the door or when there's a suspicious noise?

At 26lbs, I know he's not a guard dog, but I'd love it if I could get him to bark when it's appropriate. Currently, he's dead silent except when breathing heavily or if we get him overly excited during play.

He makes a wonderful apartment dog in that he's very quiet & can hold his 'business' for 10 hours or more. But, he's a terrible watch dog.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    1 of the 4 dogs in my home is a Boston Terrier. They are not good watch dogs and they are not good guard dogs. We've got a Maltese and a Maltese/Mutt that both are the "alert" dogs in the house. Either one of those gets going and then all 4 dogs start up, with our Akita then running to the doors and windows trying to figure out what the heck is going on and looking for movement outside. Once she zeros in on the problem only I can stop her. The Boston Terrier goes along with the barking of others but is too stupid to know why he is barking.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The Boston Terrier goes along with the barking of others but is too stupid to know why he is barking.

That's the impression that I get from ours...but we don't have any other dogs to get him going :n00b:

I wasn't sure if maybe someone knew of a Boston Terrier being successfully trained for watch duty or not.

Once we get out of our apartment and onto land, I'll be looking into German Shepherds. For now though, I feel it's irresponsible to keep most alert 'working' breeds in a 1br apartment.

Nobudy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    North Vernon
    My wife has a pityfull tiny little yap dog (A mini yorky) that thinks it's a mastiff to get their attention, while the Pure blood Husky sneaks up behind 'em ready for Perp snack.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    I've got a great dane that I've taught to bark when I saw "Who's out there?". Then whenever I heard something outside I'd say that and he just learned when he hears something outside to go nuts. Got a 1 year old english mastiff 6 months ago and still trying to teach her to join in. Basically just teach the dog to bark at a command, then transfer it over. Your dog may not scare away the intruder, but you'll be awake and alert.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    It's possible to condition any dog to bark on command, but some are easier than others.

A 'speak' command can work; use treats as a reward for barking on that command. You might have to coax him with barking sounds of your own mixed with 'speak' and the visible treat.
    Most dogs that aren't total idiots will pick that one up pretty easily.
    You can transition that command into a doorbell or knock at the door if you work at it.
    You're probably going to have to imitate a barking dog a whole lot in this process.

Suspicious noise response could be trained in a similar way, but you would have to find a method of rewarding the dog on an as-needed basis.

Be cautious when training a dog to bark on command. Reward for good behavior / punish (gently) for lack of restraint. The last thing you want is to train a dog that knows if it barks, it gets a treat. If they get that idea, you will be woken up at all hours for absolutely nothing. :P

My German Shepherd barks for the doorbell, knocks at the door, suspicious sounds, and car doors in the street, but for virtually no other reason. We constantly praise him when he barks appropriately. That gives me a little piece of mind that some criminal 'casing' our home when we're not around will probably pick another target when he hears that nasty bark behind the door.
    It's kind of mean, but hilarious to open the front door, make him sit on the threshold, and ring the bell. Lots of barking, very confused looks back and forth.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Not any help , but my Dachshund is awesome .

She'll bark anytime someone knocks at the door or hears a close noise outside .

Not much of a guard dog but she's 10 lbs of blood thirsty killer ! She HATES other animals and most kids .

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    I've got a great dane that I've taught to bark when I saw "Who's out there?". Then whenever I heard something outside I'd say that and he just learned when he hears something outside to go nuts. Got a 1 year old english mastiff 6 months ago and still trying to teach her to join in. Basically just teach the dog to bark at a command, then transfer it over. Your dog may not scare away the intruder, but you'll be awake and alert.

i'll second this approach. i just taught my dogs to react when i said, "who's here? go see who's here" in a scared/soft voice. they will go crazy and run to the door to see who is there! it's awesome :) :laugh: oh and they are just two little yorkies, who, like the other yorky in this thread, think they are as big as a great dane.

mrman740

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Portage
    I have so much deer and other wildlife right outside my house that I'm glad "Lucky" DOESN'T bark at the slightest sound......but when that doorbell rings, watch out! He can smell the pizza walking up to the driveway! He sure loves pizza......mmm......pizza.....

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I have a husky i had to leave with my mom, and a football sized mutt with the girlfriend. The husky doesn't really bark in the house unless someone rings the door or knocks. The mutt goes nuts when people knock... he thinks he's a great dane. My husky thinks he's a lap dog. I can't win, i swear.

Top Bottom