• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Never thought about this before. The neighbors called from vacationing in Tennessee. They wanted me to "watch their house" till they get back. Apparently there is some concern that some "black sheep" family member might want to get into the house to take some guns. My question is this: How much authority do I have, legally, to protect their belongings,(same as my own?,or not?) given that they asked me to watch over their house. They are good people and would do anything for me. All I need do is ask.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You do not have the same legal authority to protect their property as your own without legal documentation outlining exactly what those responsibilities and duties are (and do you want that potential bombshell situation?), but it does mean you should go out of your way to keep an eye on it and to call the police and tell them that you have been asked to watch their house and you see something suspicious.

Look at it this way, is protecting someone elses stuff worth your life? It's just stuff.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i would stick with 911 in this case. especially since their main worry is a family member. but anytime i watch someone's property other than my own i tend to let the police handle any confrontation.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Or someone else's life should the person gain entry and make off with firearms.
    That's one of my concerns. I know we'd all feel heartsick if that happened. Sounds like there is some agreement to be more of a good witness in this case, rather than inserting myself into a break in. Hopefully, my nosing around would be, of itself, enough to deter any one looking for an easy score, while no one is around.

Iceandfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    7 miles from Medora, IN
    Last year we left for a Florida vacation, and asked a friend/neighbor to "watch the house". He noticed the garage door opened the day after we left, and called 911. The deputy found no entry into the house, and secured the property. I feel that the neighbor did a great job, and thanked him profusely.
    Do the same, is my advice.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Have had two neighbors over the years ask that I keep an eye on their home while they were gone. One was a state trooper [now post commander], going away for a couple of weeks. Wife told me she saw a pickup truck in their driveway, garage door open, thought I should go over. Grabbed a .357 and across the street I went. Seems it was it in-laws, and they were supposed to be there, but when they saw me approaching them, they got real friendly. Later on wife was BS with his wife, relayed the story that this gun toting nut from across the street came over. Seems the trooper had to keep a straight face when hearing the encounter. Could be when my son was a little tyke, he and his friends were at the guys house one day when he was cleaning his state car, and the boys got curious about the shotgun he had, so he showed them the AR he had in the trunk. My son apparently told him that was nice but my dad has more guns than you do. Priceless!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't know what the law says. Just last night my wife's grandparents house was robbed. My inlaws were at the hospital when they found out. So father in law asked me to check his house out, its down the road from grandparents. So I drove over and entered the house. Had my .45 drawn while I looked around. The way I see it is this. No matter what house your in, if someone else is there that had broken in or whatever, and means to do you harm, then you shoot them. No matter where you are, you have every right to defend yourself. Just make sure you can prove they had the intention of harming you.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I house sat for a guy I work with awhile back. I didn't think much of it when I spent the weekend in their house, if something happened and my life was threatened I would shoot.

Top Bottom