• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Making the case for the need for medical training for folks that carry guns.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6b1v9lcmG0[/ame]

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I got to sit in on a LE gunshot treatment class a few weeks ago. I have to say that I was rather disappointed. I understand that in or near a city EMT's are only a couple minutes away, but in that profession why wouldn't you want considerably more extensive training? Looking in on that class made me feel like I went to medical school in the military (not really, but military combat life saver training is CONSIDERABLY more in depth.) I whole heartedly agree that EVERYONE should seek appropriate medical training for emergency situations, ESPECIALLY if you carry a gun.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    I got to sit in on a LE gunshot treatment class a few weeks ago. I have to say that I was rather disappointed. I understand that in or near a city EMT's are only a couple minutes away, but in that profession why wouldn't you want considerably more extensive training? Looking in on that class made me feel like I went to medical school in the military (not really, but military combat life saver training is CONSIDERABLY more in depth.) I whole heartedly agree that EVERYONE should seek appropriate medical training for emergency situations, ESPECIALLY if you carry a gun.

lol basic training medical treatment is more in depth than most LE medical treatment classes.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

The combat lifesaver training is actually pretty good, not sure if the Army is different from the Marines but we learn everything from stopping blood loss to tension pneumothorax (sp?). We used to do IV's also but they have gotten away from that and focus now on stopping blood loss etc. I agree that it is something everyone should know and you should keep pressure (Israeli) bandages and tourniquets handy, you may have to treat yourself someday.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The combat lifesaver training is actually pretty good, not sure if the Army is different from the Marines but we learn everything from stopping blood loss to tension pneumothorax (sp?). We used to do IV's also but they have gotten away from that and focus now on stopping blood loss etc. I agree that it is something everyone should know and you should keep pressure (Israeli) bandages and tourniquets handy, you may have to treat yourself someday.

How long has this been the case? When I was in the Army way back when, Trauma Medicine training was pretty weak. Shortly after that in the Police Academy we were required to become First Responders. This was much better, but still not up to todays standards.

btw, good video clip Paul.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    How long has this been the case? When I was in the Army way back when, Trauma Medicine training was pretty weak. Shortly after that in the Police Academy we were required to become First Responders. This was much better, but still not up to todays standards.

Way back in the early 80's we did a crap load of medical training. Then again all we ever freakin did was train, train and then take a test on our training. I can still stop a sucking chest wound in my sleep.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN

I cannot remember exactly how in depth our first aide training was in boot, but I do remember going through numerous classes in the fleet as a result of many of the guys in my platoon were accident prone. Lots of things that are not considered in civilian first aide that are considered common thoughts in military situations.

I agree with others here that basic first aide is a good idea for everyone, the life you save could be your own.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Marines spend nearly a full week in boot camp concentrating on medical. The curriculum is broken down very presicely and effectively. I don't know what it was like in the past, but at least in the last 10 years the training has been very in depth. In a general sense, I would say they train equivalently to a common EMT. Of course not as far as range of areas covered because it's concentrated on what they are likely to see in combat, but with respect to WHAT they cover it is comparible. I have a friend who is an EMT and we have talked about things quite a bit. We were actually working together to organize an SOP for shooting range immediate response.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Marines spend nearly a full week in boot camp concentrating on medical. The curriculum is broken down very presicely and effectively. I don't know what it was like in the past, but at least in the last 10 years the training has been very in depth. In a general sense, I would say they train equivalently to a common EMT. Of course not as far as range of areas covered because it's concentrated on what they are likely to see in combat, but with respect to WHAT they cover it is comparible. I have a friend who is an EMT and we have talked about things quite a bit. We were actually working together to organize an SOP for shooting range immediate response.

For comparisons sake I took combat lifesaver in the Army. We learned IV's, sucking chest wounds, gunshot wounds, head trauma, NBC(nuke,bio,chem) treatment, basic CPR which has changed a lot since then(95-99) and a few others that i am forgetting.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I was going to say. I have been in the Army's Combat Life Savers Class. Although its been abit, around 2008. The class had changed though from when I first took the class in 98 though. I would still love to go back and get back into the training, but right now im on medical, so it might be abit. I know that they were showing the 1 handed tourniquets, Israeli bandages, as well as quik clot. They were doing the chest needles (although Ive since forgotten the medical name). They were still doing IVs at the time, although I have heard that they did away with them. I know around 2008-2010 that they were starting to do CLS classes in addition to the basic first aid in Basic Training. Not sure if they are still doing all that medical. I would hope so, as I know in the units that I have been, that we tried to get every available body into those classes and trained. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/members/blamecharles.htmlhttps://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/members/blamecharles.html

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    F.A.S.T. IO needle?

Immediate iv access. Google the video of the WitchDoctor7 medics out of Kunduhar demonstrating how they go in. They are bad men indeed.

We have IO needles on board. Have a little drill gun that puts it in your upper shoulder/humerous or in your knee. Its fairly painless, very fast iv access even with complete vascular collapse, and is easily extracted from the bone once its time to DC.

Spooky as hell to see it done though

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

I'll see if I can lay hands on the current Combat Lifesavers Curriculum... :dunno:

Top Bottom