Water Barrels that had food OK for water storage?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Will the water taste like pickles/saurkraut? Even if you clean and re-clean the barrel?

yea. it will. see if there's a bakery... the vanilla icing will taste pretty good in your water. lol.

My dad uses icing tubs for making beer, and you can't really taste anything aside from a nice easy hint of vanilla. pickles would be horrible with beer, but vanilla isn't so bad.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I heard or read somewhere that filling a clear plastic bottle with water (leaving little or no air space) and letting it sit in the sun for at least 24 hours (two days minimum) will "treat" your water and make it suitable for drinking. This was proposed as a last resort when chemical treatment was not available.

Any truth to this?

What does this have to do with the OP question? ... nothing really, but the subject of container degradation by light has been mentioned. I was just wondering if any amount of light is bad.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I heard or read somewhere that filling a clear plastic bottle with water (leaving little or no air space) and letting it sit in the sun for at least 24 hours (two days minimum) will "treat" your water and make it suitable for drinking. This was proposed as a last resort when chemical treatment was not available.

Any truth to this?

What does this have to do with the OP question? ... nothing really, but the subject of container degradation by light has been mentioned. I was just wondering if any amount of light is bad.

There is a lot of truth to this. It's the SODIS method.
    SODIS: How does ist work?

I was part of a project that looked at this as emergency water treatement and found it to be effective as a last resort under some specific circumstances. The website goes into pretty good detail.

Top Bottom