• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    I was planning on buying a Big Berkey water filter for when the unwanted residual matter impacts the electrical oscillating device. At the 1500, one of the survival vendors was selling two or three different types and said that the Berkey isn't good enough for really bad situations and that there was some stuff it won't filter. So before I buy, I'll bring this to you guys. What are the various systems out there, and what works best? I'm talking mad max situations here, to find device xyz that will filter sewer water for 20 years after the grid goes down into healthy drinking water. Any thoughts?

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Indiana Self Defense has Berkey and Katadyn systems and filters on hand

LONG term ? run with one of the S/S models. 20 yrs ? Get a couple cases of filters

:twocents:

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Would you want to use both the Point one and Point zero two together? It looks like the Point one, provides drinking water as well? I'm curious as to the difference......obviously micron sizing, but......what else?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Long term? Educate yourself on how to make water drinkable and don't listen to the hype by dealers. EVER. It's not rocket science and there's a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding, especially by the people selling systems.

Water and Wastewater Treatment: A Guide for the Nonengineering Professional, Second Edition: Joanne E. Drinan, Frank Spellman: 9781439854006: Amazon.com: Books

This is a great book on the subject and while you can read some of it online as a preview. If you really want to know how to deal with drinking water and wastewater 20 years after the fall, this book and similar ones needs to be sitting on your shelf. The first edition was one of the texts in college classes I had on the subject and is very readable even by the layman. Yes, it is designed for those who run big plants, but the concepts are exactly the same for someone who wants to do it on the household level.

Understand the process and you can BUILD a system to make water drinkable from sewage water or water contaminated by dissolved material if you need to. It really is not a difficult subject.

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Long term? Educate yourself on how to make water drinkable and don't listen to the hype by dealers. EVER. It's not rocket science and there's a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding, especially by the people selling systems.

I agree. Education is number one.

I use MSR Sweetwater for short term. It will filter anything that you will encounter. I have used mine backpacking all over this country and it has never let me down. If not that one then make sure it's ceramic and not paper filters.

I am a dealer but I don't sell them. Infact I send people to my competition just so they can get what's best.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I have a 6 stage RO/DI filter that has a 2 micron sediment, .5 micron carbon block, catalytic GAC, RO, and 10" canisters for both anion and cation resin. If we lose water service I plan to bypass the RO and DI and just gravity feed the sediment and carbon canisters and UV sterilize with either an AC UV filter or a steripen depending on the circumstances. I figure I can just get water from retention ponds.

You can pick up 10" canisters pretty cheap and setup your own filtration. It will work better and longer (and a lot cheaper per gallon) than hiking filters. Hiking filters are still nice to have when you have to bug-out though.

I keep 20g of water treated with bleach in some military scepter cans for short term use.

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Take a look at the Sawyer Point Zero Two
    Amazon.com: Sawyer PointTwo Purifier with Bucket Adapter Kit with Faucet Adapter: Sports & Outdoors

Not as fancy but if i understand correctly will do the same for less.
    I ordered one in, we will see how it works, It says it has a million gallon guarantee. if you only get 10% of what they say, that's 100,000 gallons. That's 70 years worth of water for 4 people at only 10 percent. Their website is pretty informative. It looks like it puts the ceramic filters to shame. We will see....

freedomrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Not sure I would trust any filter that tells me it can filter 1 Million gallons, but that's me. I have a berkey and a Katadyn. I like the berkey the best personally, but here's a comparison chart that compares a bunch of gravity filters to the berkey water filters.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    We've got a sawyer .1 squeeze bag system and a .1 all-in-one system. Though I don't trust anything for a million gallons, these are flushable meaning you can backflush to get the dirtier stuff back out of the filter. Many of the other option are limited to a few hundred gallons before you have to buy an expensive replacement filter. Though I don't think they're perfect, I think they'll suit our needs. We do keep purification tablets and other larger volume purification methods at hand.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Not sure I would trust any filter that tells me it can filter 1 Million gallons, but that's me. I have a berkey and a Katadyn. I like the berkey the best personally, but here's a comparison chart that compares a bunch of gravity filters to the berkey water filters.

Agreed. You aren't removing chemical contaminants for a million gallons, thats for sure.

Seriously, if you want something cheap for home use, buy yourself 2 or 3 10" canisters and a wall mount, plumb them together, and install a combination of sediment/carbon/carbon block filters in them. This can be gravity fed if needed.

I usually buy stuff from www.buckeyefieldsupply.com

Top Bottom