• ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    OT, but oh well.

All of us with gas water heaters may find this hard to believe. My parents have an electric water heater. My Dad traded a refrigerator for it and so it was used when he installed it...in 1962. Yes- they have a perfectly functioning 53+ year old water heater.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The old one might be really heavy & filled with crud making it very hard to drain. I had to shut off the gas and let what little hot water was in it cool down then break off the clogged drain cock. Get ready for water to go everywhere & have a plan. I had to use an engine hoist to move mine off the pedestal.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Old one out, new one in. It was gunked up and didn't drain very well...luckily we were in the garage. Just manhandled it off the pedestal and used a 2-wheel cart to move it to the yard dump it out of the top.

It was on the curb at 8:20pm and gone by 9:10pm. :yesway:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you are going traditional tank, go Rheem and never look back.

In my experience, getting rid of an old tank was as easy as setting it out by the curb. The scrappers got it the same day.

No it's not. I just sat the one I removed out at the street, and the tenant told me it was gone before the next day. A scrapper will pick it up in no time.

Huh? How hard is it to drag it to curb? In 30 minutes it will be gone.

Edit: Dang it - scooped twice.

What is the scrap value of a junk water heater?

I change out the Anode rod in mine every 3 or 4 years these days.

Just buy another and put it in? Years ago in Brown County a service guy pulled a rod for us (sulfer smell) and plugged the hole.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    The rod is there so your tank isn't what's attacked, hence the title sacrificial.

I was told $8 for a water heater as scrap.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    INGO convinced me to replace my water heater a couple years ago and saved me a few hundred bucks in the process. I ended up paying $10 to Ray's to have the old one hauled away. Guess the scrappers aren't as active in suburbia.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    You'll Save a lot of Money if you do it yourself and it's Not that Complicated. I'd Buy a Quality Replacement and utilize your friends knowledge.

This! If it's electric, shut off the breaker, open the top to get the wiring undone, and disconnect the water connections. If it's gas, shut off the gas, disconnect the gas and water connections.

When shopping for a replacement, measure the space of the existing tank. I ran into problems when none of the WHs on the market would fit into the very small spot of my existing WH. I had to remove a piece of drywall and put the thing up on 2x4s (properly supported across the entire bottom, obviously).

You might also check YouTube. I'm sure there's a short video about WH replacement on there somewhere!!!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You're a little late with the advise, David. Jagee already did it:
    Old one out, new one in. It was gunked up and didn't drain very well...luckily we were in the garage. Just manhandled it off the pedestal and used a 2-wheel cart to move it to the yard dump it out of the top.

:n00b:

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.

You just killed the lawn by doing that...so plan on some dirt amendments before replanting. The soil ph will be way off due to the lime buildup from the heater.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Anyone know what the standard install cost (ball park) for a gas water heater from a big box (Lowes, Home Depot, Sears) is?

I think ours is dead, and since it is gas, I don't want to mess with it.

Also, do the electric ones run 220 or "regular" outlets?

Top Bottom