• ...and so much more!
  • GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I used to drink a 2-liter plus 2-4 20oz bottles of Mt. Dew per day. I had a kidney stone about a year ago, ever since I've started drinking more water, I still have my Dew, but average 24oz or less a day. I've also started to watch what I eat, and have lost a lot of weight.

Water, I hate the stuff, but drink it anyway. I keep a gallon in the fridge @ work, so that's what I drink. I cannot drink city water, ugh, I buy enon springs at speedway every couple days (much cheaper than single bottles.) During the summer, I drink unsweetened iced tea, probably a gallon per day. I feel your pain on the sweet tea, better than soda though.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    My dietitian, who you can contact for verification Ask The Dietitian, said that any none caffeinated or non carbonated sugary drink (ie coke, Pepsi and such) can count as your water. you just have to count the added calories in your diet. so Gatorade, hot tea, iced tea, coffee and such are all ok as long as you are not prone to kidney stones. people with kidney stones need to drink clear liquids to help prevent the stone buildup.

I thought tea was the highest caffeinated drink there was? :dunno:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    There's some great tips here. I've been trying to drink more water, but as stated by others, it doesn't taste like anything and that makes it a little harder to consume. I've tried cutting back on Mountain Dew. I'm down to two vans a day from easily being able to drink a two liter in an afternoon.

The crystal light idea might be a good one. I'll try that.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    For clarity, I'm talking about energy additives or even plain sugar, just to make water consumption a bit more pleasurable.

If I'm working out or doing anything strenuous I can drink plenty of water. However, if I want to just drink the recommended 64 ounces a day as I'm sitting behind my desk, it's not likely to happen. That sweet tea calls my name!

Have you tried squeezing lime or lemon juice into your water? No sugar just a little juice to make the water interesting. I do this to counter my craving for soda.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I thought tea was the highest caffeinated drink there was? :dunno:

I think you can get de-caff tea, can't you?

I never knew how many people hated water. I love water! I'm pretty well constantly drinking it. Lucky me, I guess. Haha

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Are you saying that lemonade is healthier than tea?

I don't know the answer to that question.
    I can only go on what my urologist recommended.
    I used to drink tea, diet soda, lots of coffee, etc. Hardly any water.
    If it were not for having 3) 7mm stones I would still be
    drinking a pot and a half of coffee a day and 3-4 diets.
    Now lemonade and water is my friend.:rockwoot:
    Good luck to you.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think you can get de-caff tea, can't you?

I never knew how many people hated water. I love water! I'm pretty well constantly drinking it. Lucky me, I guess. Haha
    Yeah, there is decaff/ caffeine free tea. It'll say on the box or bag depending on whether you buy loose leaf or bagged tea.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    re: insulin and all that jazz

I drink a gallon-jug of kool-aid water, no sugar, per day. I have Agent-Orange proximal-caused diabetes, and do my blood test every two hours. I don't always need insulin but I have both slo- and fast-acting vials in readiness. When my "sugar" drops it puts me in a "cheap drunk" and if I don't get sugar (food) to boost it back up I go all crazy-delirious and might go unconscious. I keep Oreos & Pepsi always on hand. Too high causes eyes to hurt, brain to ring, palpitations, etc. Vertigo and numb fingers and toes now, too. Doctor says that for every hour I am above 160 takes a year off my life, plus it just feels $hitty. I take anywhere from 5 units to 50 units to keep it level, every two hours, plus before and after meals. Bedtime I shoot 60 units. Weed-killer "2-4-D", who'd a'thunk it?
    This is true. +1

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been trying to do more and more water to get to the recommended amounts. Silly question; Does the needing to pee every ten minutes or so go away over time?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Do ya'll carry a
    111508-urinal-bottle.jpg
    in your vehicle?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Proper hydration is not as simple as drink X amount of water a day. Each person's needs are different and climate, exercise, and acclimitization all play factors.

The general rule of thumb is to drink enough to pee clear. For some people under some conditions that might be a liter or two a day. Others might require 6-8 liters a day. ALL foods or drinks with water in them are better than no water, but some are better than others at allowing the body to absorb and retain fluids.

You can actually absorb water faster if it has some concentration of electrolytes and sugars, but most sports drinks have way too much sugar for optimal absorption, generally about one third of what Gatorade has is best. Further, most people who drink a lot of water do not take in enough sodium to balance what they flush out, and proper sodium levels in the body are also key to being properly hydrated as without it you don't retain water in the tissues.

There are some excellent sports nutrition books out there that go into the physiology of it all, but to answer Que's original question, 4-5 teaspoons of sugar, and a pinch of salt per liter of water, plus whatever flavoring you like will allow you to drink more and absorb and retain more.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...4-5 teaspoons of sugar, and a pinch of salt per liter of water, plus whatever flavoring you like will allow you to drink more and absorb and retain more.
    That seems like a lot? Can I drink the water plane and have my sugar and salt at the same time, in something like maybe pie?

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Once you have had stones water taste pretty good.

You're damn right it does. :):

Are you saying that lemonade is healthier than tea?

Not sure about that but it sure tastes better. To me at least. I hate tea.

My urologist said to put lemon juice in my water. Tried it for a day and it just tasted horrible. Now I drink plain water but also do my "shots" of lemon juice every day. 3 to 4 ounces is the norm.

As long as you don't breathe through your nose, you won't taste the bitterness at all. Works for cutting an onion as well.

That's my INGO tip for the day. :)

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    For clarity, I'm talking about energy additives or even plain sugar, just to make water consumption a bit more pleasurable.

If I'm working out or doing anything strenuous I can drink plenty of water. However, if I want to just drink the recommended 64 ounces a day as I'm sitting behind my desk, it's not likely to happen. That sweet tea calls my name!

Im the same way about water, working outside i need plenty of it. I have been buying koolaid drops, they say to use 4 to 5 drops in your water but i like just 2, it doesnt give it a koolaid taste but more of a water thats has the essence of, whatever flavor ya buy.
    Any flavored water additive works for me, I just use a very very small amount to beat that plain water taste.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    That seems like a lot? Can I drink the water plane and have my sugar and salt at the same time, in something like maybe pie?

If you want, but it's hard to eat pie while exercising :)

You can drink the water plain regardless, the sugar added just helps increase absorption speed which is only important during those times when you are losing it rapidly. In hot weather you can lose 1-2 liters an hour while you can only absorb about a liter an hour no matter how much you drink. Adding sugar and electrolyte can increase absorption speed by as much as 25%, though paradoxically too much sugars starts decreasing absorption speed again. If you're not exercising hard then most people get plenty of salt in their diet as is, but too much water intake will flush electrolytes and especially in hotter weather can be an issue for some folks.

Top Bottom