• ...and so much more!
  • danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Got the Alexapure Pro in yesterday, flushed the filter and it does a great job of removing the city water taste. I'm considering adding another filter to increase the flow rate, it's pretty darn slow with one filter (it has plugs for the other three openings, it can utilize up to four filters simultaneously.) I'm happy to have it.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    A couple of thoughts.
    1) household liquid bleach has a much shorter shelf life than most imagine. in most cases, your stored bleach will do little more than add a bit of flavor to your "purified" water.
    2) if we are at a point where groundwater needs to be distilled due to chemical contamination, you'd better be on the move to somewhere else. Multiple point distillation strategies aren't going to be as effective a moving a few hundred miles.
    3) the big advantage of living in Indiana is that within most neighborhoods, two or three houses suffer from leaky basements. Or "a reliable source of water" if we are in a SHTF situation.

For me, if I'm sitting, I'm going to boil.
    If I'm moving, I plan on carrying very little. But will have the ability to filter what I find along the way.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    UV does indeed kill most biologicals, but not all. And sunlight can take quite a while in our area. The SODIS method of UV water treatment does not kill all biologicals, it simply is an emergency method for reduce the amount of them in water which can make a difference when there is no other method, but it is NOT a good method to rely on in any but the most dire emergency. Proper UV sterilization takes a lot of power to run. Mechanical filtration down to the sub micron level combined with chemical treatment remains the best method in general.

I would liken the SODIS method more to pasteurization rather than sterilization.

socom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2015
    sellersburg
    making a very effective filter could easily be made using stuff use might already have that along with boiling you could bottle into 1gal or larger jugs and store for X amount of time.

Top Bottom