• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The only thing I hate more than being cold is being cold and wet.

What are you guys using this year?

I got some frogg toggs with camo print, since they have a pretty good name. We'll see how that works out.

I'm probably the only sissy that's worried about it though.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    The problem I found with Frog Toggs is that they get noisy when you move. I haven't checked the newer models though. Does this seem like it might still be a problem?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I have an old Mossy Oak branded cheap ($100) rain suit that works great and is very light weight, but I would never wear it anywhere but up in the tree or on a boat. I think thorns would shred it.

I really like the current US Military rain gear if you can find a pair and they seem really tough.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The problem I found with Frog Toggs is that they get noisy when you move. I haven't checked the newer models though. Does this seem like it might still be a problem?

They are pretty stiff when new, hopefully they break in.

I would like to go stomping around in them sometime to see if they loosen up.

The material seems to be fairly sturdy. Much better than the old thin plastic stuff.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have an old Mossy Oak branded cheap ($100) rain suit that works great and is very light weight, but I would never wear it anywhere but up in the tree or on a boat. I think thorns would shred it.

I really like the current US Military rain gear if you can find a pair and they seem really tough.

Thanks! I'll keep my eye out for a set that fits me.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Silicone spray...CampDri. (SP) I spray all over my boots and works pretty well I prefer 2-3 coats myself. Also put on clothes to help but, don't think it will repel water if you fall in a river but should do well with a light rain.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Some kind of layering scheme involving wool, with a Sitka jacket and pants as the outermost layer, will solve the problems of cold and wet and noisy.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Silicone spray...CampDri. (SP) I spray all over my boots and works pretty well I prefer 2-3 coats myself. Also put on clothes to help but, don't think it will repel water if you fall in a river but should do well with a light rain.

I found Kiwi Camp Dry spray that is sold in most stores. Is that the stuff?

LOL! Yeah, I don't plan on going swimming, just don't like the rain.

joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    I bought a Cabelas camo rain suit last year. Haven't really been out in the rain with it, but I did a ton of research on it before I bought it and it received tremendously great reviews.

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    i'm an avid bow hunter and hunt all over the US and Canada and I have hunting is some very wet conditions. There are generally some very affordable camo rain suits you can pick up from Gander Mtn or Dicks Sporting Goods that will work well for light rain. In heavier rain, its a good idea to invest in better gear. I've had good luck with Browning and Sitka gear...you pay a bit more but they typically work better than cheaper rain gear.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    For cold and wet I wear the Gander Guide series parka and pants that are water proof. Not Gore Tex but their brand of similar material. They do keep you warm and dry even in pouring rain as we had last year opening weekend of gun season. The problem I found is that the outer layer absorbed so much water that it got very heavy and difficult to dry out. The water never soaked through and I was in the pouring rain for several hours. If I had it to do over I would look for a gore tex shell to wear over my parka and pants. That way you are not soaking down the outer fabric. Whatever it is it needs to be breathable. Frog Toggs and some of the imitations are good at repelling water but tend to soak through when sitting down in the seat and other points where there is external pressure. Their biggest advantae is that they are packable and handy to have in your pack for when an unexpected rain comes up.

Top Bottom