• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Ok, my new house has 3 toilets. 1 sits on slate tile that is on cement and the other 2 sit on slate tile on backerboard over plywood. Guess which 2 bathrooms give me a sewer smell? I pulled one of them today and it looks like the wax ring barely touched the bottom of the toilet. I bought a Fernco toilet seal that is supposed to stick on the bottom of the toilet and has ribs to seal in the drain pipe. Well, the stickem on it really sucked so I don't think it will work.

The plumber did put a spacer kit on the the toilet flange but I still lack about 1/8-1/4" of getting a good seal on the original wax ring. Do they make any rings that are just a little bit taller than standard? There are about 50 different kinds at menards and I'm not sure what kind to get. I believe the toilet flange is 3.5"

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    i know lowes has something i want to say is called the "Jumbo" ring which may solve your problem.

OK, I'll look for that. The wax ring almost looked untouched when I pulled the toilet off. The spacer kit they had at Menards looked like a nightmare. There were about 5 thin pieces and it said it needed caulking inbetween every layer.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    i know lowes has something i want to say is called the "Jumbo" ring which may solve your problem.
    yes they do, and it is quite a bit bigger then the standard ring.
    you can also use two rings pressed together (plain wax ring), I have done this in the past and it works well

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    they also make a PVC flange spacer that goes on top of the existing flange. I think it adds around 3/8 of an inch in height.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I seem to remember when we had hardwood put in our downstairs bathroom that I had to get a ring that had a plastic sleeve in it for the same problem. Someone also suggested just using two rings which would work but I'm sure there is a better solution. I'm pretty sire they also make a standard and a "tall" wax ring, might check that as well.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have replaced many wax rings over the years. I always use the Jumbo Kant Leak brand, sold at Lowes, oh unless the floor/flange bolts look new I always replace these as well.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    When we had laminate flooring installed in our last house the flooring guys put a regular wax ring back in. Soon after we soon noticed "that smell". I installed new flooring around the toilet where it has swelled up and a jumbo wax ring under the toilet. No problems after the jumbo ring install.:yesway:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I did a double-ring on the last toilet repair. A single ring was like yours - barely touched. I sat another on top of it, and bolted it down. Hasn't leaked in about 4 years so far.

Didn't know they made "tall" rings. I just happened to have 2 handy.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    sounds like you need to us a # 7 and a #10 ....put the #10 with the horn on the toilet and the # 7 with no horn on the flang after putting in new long closet bolts. set your toilet over the bolts once in place rock with firm presure side to side to seat it on the floor....tighten bolts

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Avoid the wax rings with the plastic funnel, and use multiple conventional wax rings to get the thickness you need.
    I had to use a regular and an extra thick one together at my house.

Top Bottom