• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I wonder if making some sort of form for the top to make it more bullet-like would improve accuracy.
    Did you see him shooting from 100 yards? It was pretty accurate. One thing I thought of was making the front heavier than the back by filling the last half inch with wax, letting it harden, then filling the rest of the shell with shot and wax.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    This is a very old idea originally made from beeswax (which doesn't mess with powder like paraffin).

It was used as quick loads for fowling pieces, and produced superior groups to loose shot.

Josh

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    these are pretty interesting, i ended up watching several videos on them.. but still What's the big deal? go buy some darm slugs! i can see maybe playing with some reloads. but still seems pretty useless to myself.
    but thanks for sharing! it's fun seeing other ideas!

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Just had a thought... the wax slug is more efficient because the wax makes a seal on the bore, and no gas blows past it. Wax slugs probably have a greater range than deer slugs simply because of this. It would also protect the inside of the barrel from rust the way the wax on your car does. Nothing like a 300MPH polish followed by a 300 degree bake-on. :D

Did you see him shooting from 100 yards? It was pretty accurate. One thing I thought of was making the front heavier than the back by filling the last half inch with wax, letting it harden, then filling the rest of the shell with shot and wax.

yea, but he also said that the 6-7" grouping that he got was unusually accurate. Granted, at 100 yards, anything COM is good with a shot like that, but anything that makes it MORE accurate is better, right? Imagine getting a 1-2" grouping at that range. :rockwoot: If I could get them dead accurate at 100yds, I'd never buy anything but a 12ga. and a 9mm. No need for a rifle if you can make your shotgun as accurate with more force.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    these are pretty interesting, i ended up watching several videos on them.. but still What's the big deal? go buy some darm slugs! i can see maybe playing with some reloads. but still seems pretty useless to myself.
    but thanks for sharing! it's fun seeing other ideas!
    A lot of people don't like shooting many slugs because of the cost. This is cheap!
    I do, however, agree that reloading spent shells is the most practical application of this. I won't be cutting open many "store bought" shells!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    I have seen this a few days ago.
    I guess it depends what you want to do with your ammo.
    For home defense I would never use something home-made because it might not go "bang" like factory ammo will and also because if you ever shoot someone with home-made ammo it's something that could be used against you.
    "Look at that freak who made his own ammo because factory stuff was not deadly enough for him".
    Using something who says on the box "for law enforcement and home defense use" may be a better option and will make you look more like a "good guy" in front of a jury.

amen!!!!!

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Just had a thought... the wax slug is more efficient because the wax makes a seal on the bore, and no gas blows past it. Wax slugs probably have a greater range than deer slugs simply because of this. It would also protect the inside of the barrel from rust the way the wax on your car does. Nothing like a 300MPH polish followed by a 300 degree bake-on. :D
    Yup! Did you see him show the bore of that shotgun afterwards?
    yea, but he also said that the 6-7" grouping that he got was unusually accurate.
    I must have missed that! I'll check that out when I get a chance.
    Granted, at 100 yards, anything COM is good with a shot like that, but anything that makes it MORE accurate is better, right? Imagine getting a 1-2" grouping at that range. :rockwoot: If I could get them dead accurate at 100yds, I'd never buy anything but a 12ga. and a 9mm. No need for a rifle if you can make your shotgun as accurate with more force.
    What did you think of my idea?
    One thing I thought of was making the front heavier than the back by filling the last half inch with wax, letting it harden, then filling the rest of the shell with shot and wax.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    What did you think of my idea?

I don't know enough about physics, but I would think that if you weighted it unevenly without reshaping it, you'd wind up having a round that tumbles. Either that or it would fragment due to the uneven consistency.

Just my non-expert opinion.

as for whether they are legal... buckshot is legal... deer slugs are legal... buckshot slugs are... :dunno: I don't think they are specifically illegal because it would count as a self-loaded round. They aren't specifically legal though.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I don't know enough about physics, but I would think that if you weighted it unevenly without reshaping it, you'd wind up having a round that tumbles. Either that or it would fragment due to the uneven consistency.

Just my non-expert opinion.
    I just know that most slugs are designed to be heavier in the front :dunno:

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Well, I got a chance to fire off the 10 wax slugs that I made yesterday. Unfortunatly, ever single one of them behaved as a regular target load. I'm thinking the scented candle wax contains way too much oil to hold up to the blast.

The good news though, the range smelled great!

Next time I'm out and about I'm going to find some gulf wax and see if that will hold up better.

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    0622111819a.jpg

0622111819.jpg

you can see where the wax slug hit the rest of the holes were from a .22

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    its made of thin steel. it shot one handed within 5 yards with a 18 inch barrel i would have shot from farther away but I didnt have a buttstock on my 12 gauge.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom