KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So no indiana constitutional carry? Wow!
    No ConC in a lot of States that aren't Vermont.

A lot fewer States with preemption.

Heller...

McDonald...

Bruen...

Civil immunity in Indiana...

Killing off Gary v Glock (signed by Old Eric last week) and supporting the ban on banks using transactions to track gun owners (also signed last week.)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    No ConC in a lot of States that aren't Vermont.

A lot fewer States with preemption.

Heller...

McDonald...

Bruen...

Civil immunity in Indiana...

Killing off Gary v Glock (signed by Old Eric last week) and supporting the ban on banks using transactions to track gun owners (also signed last week.)
    Heller was not them. It was the CATO institute and the 2A Foundation.

National Rifle Association (NRA)[edit]​

Attorney Alan Gura, in a 2003 filing, used the term "sham litigation" to describe the NRA's attempts to have Parker (aka Heller) consolidated with its own case challenging the D.C. law. Gura also stated that "the NRA was adamant about not wanting the Supreme Court to hear the case".[55] These concerns were based on NRA lawyers' assessment that the justices at the time the case was filed might reach an unfavorable decision.[56] Cato Institute senior fellow Robert Levy, co-counsel to the Parker plaintiffs, has stated that the Parker plaintiffs "faced repeated attempts by the NRA to derail the litigation."[57] He also stated that "The N.R.A.'s interference in this process set us back and almost killed the case. It was a very acrimonious relationship."[6]

Wayne LaPierre, the NRA's chief executive officer, confirmed the NRA's misgivings. "There was a real dispute on our side among the constitutional scholars about whether there was a majority of justices on the Supreme Court who would support the Constitution as written," Mr. LaPierre said.[6] Both Levy and LaPierre said the NRA and Mr. Levy's team were now on good terms.[6]

Elaine McArdle wrote in the Harvard Law Bulletin: "If Parker is the long-awaited "clean" case, one reason may be that proponents of the individual-rights view of the Second Amendment – including the National Rifle Association, which filed an amicus brief in the case – have learned from earlier defeats, and crafted strategies to maximize the chances of Supreme Court review." The NRA did eventually support the litigation by filing an amicus brief with the Court arguing that the plaintiffs in Parker had standing to sue and that the D.C. ban was unconstitutional under the Second Amendment.[58]

Chris Cox, executive director of the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action, had indicated support of federal legislation which would repeal the D.C. gun ban. Opponents of the legislation argued that this would have rendered the Parker case moot, and would have effectively eliminated the possibility that the case would be heard by the Supreme Court.[59]

Immediately after the Supreme Court's ruling, the NRA filed a lawsuit against the city of Chicago over its handgun ban, followed the next day by a lawsuit against the city of San Francisco over its ban of handguns in public housing.[60]

McDonald was the 2A foundation. The NRA had their own case consolidated with McDonald. Gura also litigated this one.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Heller was not them. It was the CATO institute and the 2A Foundation.

National Rifle Association (NRA)[edit]​

McDonald was the 2A foundation. The NRA had their own case consolidated with McDonald. Gura also litigated this one.
    I do not see the NRA as a legal machine first and foremost, they are a political machine advancing and retarding legislation. We have other organizations taking up the legal mantle and doing it well.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I do not see the NRA as a legal machine first and foremost, they are a political machine advancing and retarding legislation. We have other organizations taking up the legal mantle and doing it well.
    I do not disagree. That is why I wish they would get their house in order and get back to what they did well.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I know Wayne stole money from members, but all the big guys take a little for themselves right? He was an advocate for causes I support and an enemy of my enemies so it is OK.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I know Wayne stole money from members, but all the big guys take a little for themselves right? He was an advocate for causes I support and an enemy of my enemies so it is OK.
    I heard a rumor that Elon Musk is building a rocket to utopia that will be taking off soon, I hear everything there is perfect and there are not even enemies…

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The saddest part of this thread to me is how the left used fairly common corporate excess from the c-suite to turn gun owners against their own organization…
    Uhhh, I believe the NRA aired its own dirty laundry by getting into a ****ing match with Ackerman-McQueen, who knew where some of the skeletons were buried

'The left' just picked up that ammunition lying around and shot them with it. I also dispute your characterization of the irregularities as being of a 'fairly common' level of corporate excess. Citations, please

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Uhhh, I believe the NRA aired its own dirty laundry by getting into a ****ing match with Ackerman-McQueen, who knew where some of the skeletons were buried

'The left' just picked up that ammunition lying around and shot them with it. I also dispute your characterization of the irregularities as being of a 'fairly common' level of corporate excess. Citations, please
    Only the most naive believe those with control of the corporate jet don’t ever use them for personal travel, write off vacations, even their clothing. Then there is the aspect of power projection arriving in a private jet, limo waiting, coiffed hair, and a $5000 suit.

I get it, that doesn’t mean much in the hills and hollers but in the halls of power it speaks. None of us are welcome in the halls of power, but we can have reps there and if those rep are savvy can advance our interests…

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom