"We aren't asking you to leave, we want you to stay and shop"...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Voice recorders are worth their weight in gold. IF they had another complaint and IF the police were called it would have been nice to have the "we aren't asking you to leave" on file.

This was an afterthought. I did make sure to have the app loaded and ready to go in the event I was paid a visit by Mishawaka's finest. (Mishawaka cops have been pretty cool from what I understand. Haven't had a run-in yet)

FWIW, I think you did fine. A couple of thoughts though: when that manager made that remark about being sensitive about people's concerns--I wonder what her response would have been had you directly asked her "madam, I am deeply insulted. You already said you understand it is legal and you're ok with me carrying it. Why does that customer deserve special treatment and my concerns, my sensitivities mean squat? Once that customer's concerns had been allayed by your confronting me, why are you treating my like a less desirable customer?"

I will keep this in mind for the next time a customer brings wadded up undies to a manager :yesway:

GFGT said:
    Then when they laid out that veiled threat of calling the police if another complaint is made...oh brother! I think I might have left then and there.

Neither would have changed any minds and I sounds like you represented us well :thumbsup:

I think the veiled threat was an attempt to get their way and make me cover my sidearm. I politely and respectfully refused and made damn well sure to let them know that if this means I need to leave, just say so, and we're walking.

I really was just going to decline their request and see what they wanted to do. If it was that big a deal, they would have send me packing. It seems as if they were reasonable enough since they didn't want me to leave. My wife and I were ready to leave the cart though. I wasn't threatening or being disorderly (obvoiusly, or they would have definitely called the police lol) I was simply declining their request and they seemed to allow it :dunno:

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Hey daddy, I think you handled it very well.

Always wondered if store managers ever received any training on how to handle such situations. Of course they have to know the corporations policy, but are they trained to handle this type of situation? She was probably trying to retain both you and the "misinformed" as customers.

Way to stand up for your ... our ... rights!

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    Sorry to hear that this happened, but it sounds like you handled it great. The problem is, the person that reported you thinks their doing a good thing by turning you in. Isn't that what everyone is being told to do? Lucky she didn't call Big Sis on you! :(

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    So:how did it go at the Hibachi Grill ?

I frequent both them and Meijer in Fort Wayne.

Thanks

Mark

Dinner was fine (hence a lack of a bunched panties thread :D )

Hey daddy, I think you handled it very well.

Always wondered if store managers ever received any training on how to handle such situations. Of course they have to know the corporations policy, but are they trained to handle this type of situation? She was probably trying to retain both you and the "misinformed" as customers.

Way to stand up for your ... our ... rights!

No problem :yesway:

As I mentioned, she seemed to be the non-confrontational type and just wanted to keep us and the crybabies in there shopping.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Nice job, DM. If it was the one on 331, I go there all the time and have never had any comments.

Oh well, again, good job.

Thanks. :yesway:

That was the one. I've carried in there numerous times before. I told "Tim" that my 3 yr old daughter uses my sidearm as a step stool to climb on me when we're rough housing on the floor LOL

Maybe things would have been different if I had my kids with me.. I bet they would have called in the cavalry and taken my kids away for placing them in danger :laugh:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    So next time I'm there, I'll keep an eye out for a fat guy carrying two little guns.:D
    I'll be the skinny, well, almost skinny guy carrying one big gun, a full sized Kimber. Be sure to say hi if I miss ya. I'm in there about once a week and have yet to be bothered. Great job handling the situation.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    So next time I'm there, I'll keep an eye out for a fat guy carrying two little guns.:D
    I'll be the skinny, well, almost skinny guy carrying one big gun, a full sized Kimber. Be sure to say hi if I miss ya. I'm in there about once a week and have yet to be bothered. Great job handling the situation.

:laugh:

I normally only carry my M&P but we were going to go shooting after dinner. Lol

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    "Sir, we are going to have to ask you to cover up your crack, we had a complaint from another customer. We support your right to have a butt crack, BUT we would prefer you cover it up, as to not offend the other customers."

builders-bum-crack-cartoon.png

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    This goes right to the heart of the CC/OC debate. The OP did fine even if I would of done different. I fully support your decision to OC because It's your right. Myself, I would have made an effort to cover it just as a compromise to all parties involved. (that's just me). your choice. I do recognize that if I joined you in OC then it would strengthen your position. It would cause me minor irritations like yours though.

The manager and security people did fine. It's their place/their rules. They were torn between accepting your money and the puss complainers money. They are aware of the issues and knew your rights. I didn't like the threat of calling the police, but someone has to loose. The puss sheeple make up the majority of Meijers customer base and if every single OCer boycotted Meijers it would not even be noticed at the end of the day. There just aren't that many of them. (which is exactly why the the OC advocates are promoting OC, To normalize the behavior and thus make it easier to practice their rights) the manager chose with their pocketbook. and sided with the majority.

The puss complainer was within their rights also. Even if they are ignorant and uneducated, they have a right to be that way. If a person is uncomfortable then they can always complain about it, and that's just what this person did. The more times this happens. the more tired the manager will get of it. One day it will be the sheep that gets the lecture.

The real burden is for the OC crowd to convince people like me that it's an important enough an issue that it's worth the attention it costs to stand up for it. Even then, I am not sure that if everyone who carries a gun did it right on their hip there would be enough people doing it to make an impression on the fearful public. CC makes it difficult to tell for sure, but personally I don't believe that enough of us pack heaters to make it a common sight.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    This goes right to the heart of the CC/OC debate. The OP did fine even if I would of done different. I fully support your decision to OC because It's your right. Myself, I would have made an effort to cover it just as a compromise to all parties involved. (that's just me). your choice. I do recognize that if I joined you in OC then it would strengthen your position. It would cause me minor irritations like yours though.

The manager and security people did fine. It's their place/their rules. They were torn between accepting your money and the puss complainers money. They are aware of the issues and knew your rights. I didn't like the threat of calling the police, but someone has to loose. The puss sheeple make up the majority of Meijers customer base and if every single OCer boycotted Meijers it would not even be noticed at the end of the day. There just aren't that many of them. (which is exactly why the the OC advocates are promoting OC, To normalize the behavior and thus make it easier to practice their rights) the manager chose with their pocketbook. and sided with the majority.

The puss complainer was within their rights also. Even if they are ignorant and uneducated, they have a right to be that way. If a person is uncomfortable then they can always complain about it, and that's just what this person did. The more times this happens. the more tired the manager will get of it. One day it will be the sheep that gets the lecture.

The real burden is for the OC crowd to convince people like me that it's an important enough an issue that it's worth the attention it costs to stand up for it. Even then, I am not sure that if everyone who carries a gun did it right on their hip there would be enough people doing it to make an impression on the fearful public. CC makes it difficult to tell for sure, but personally I don't believe that enough of us pack heaters to make it a common sight.

You know, quite honestly, I can respect your position (on the compromise.)

All that aside, I (personally) believe in non compromise. She mentioned that others before me have complied (maybe you were one of them :) ) but that's just not me. I will not cover something that I'm not ashamed of :)

All that (and the OC/CC debate aside).. I believe your post is spot on :yesway:

It really DOES get to the heart of the debate. We don't need to hash out sides, but we DO need to remain vigilant, polite and respectful and maybe (just maybe) open the minds of the sheep one at a time.

Maybe I'll stop in after a couple days and have a sit down with the manager and see if we can have a friendly conversation about how to best handle these situations in the future (maybe SHE will compromise ? :dunno: ).. if not, then I can safely say that I tried. :)

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    My wife and I went on a dinner date at Hibachi Grill (kind of a buffet.. really good food BTW).. then we had to stop at Meijer and pick up some things before returning home.

We were moseying (is that a word?) around with pull-ups, water bottles, and an air freshener in our cart. We ended up in the kitchen appliance section (pressure cookers ? :laugh: ) to look at a 'small' or 'personal size' blender or smoothie maker for the fat guy (me :): )

This really cool guy walks up and offers a handshake and says "Hi, I'm Tim Stevens. How are you this evening ?"

me: I'm just fine. How about yourself ?

Tim: I'm doing really well, thanks.

me: <puzzled look>.. soo... can I help you with something ?

Tim: I'm a security officer with Meijer loss prevention. Are you a police officer?

me: No, why ? <another puzzled look> (I have my FS M&P 9mm on my hip and my Kel-Tec P-11 at 7 o'clock)

The manager comes around the other corner.. now we're cornered...

Manager lady: We had a customer complain about a man with a gun walking around the store. We understand it's your right to carry your guns and we certainly don't mind, but we'd like you to cover it up. (she wasn't being a douche about it)

My wife: So.. if he was a cop, it would be OK ? Why is it ok for one man to carry a gun openly but not for my husband ? Just because one guy is a cop shouldn't matter.

Tim: Well, we don't know if the cop's badge is real or not. Besides, cops are allowed to carry places that normal citizens just can't. I carry as well and it's just the way that it is. (he wasn't being a jerk either)

Me to manager lady: So, when the concerned patron mentioned their concern, did you take the opportunity to explain that you will go talk to the MWAG and as long as he's licensed to carry, he's not doing anything illegal ?

Manager lady: No we didn't. We have to be sensitive to other people's feelings. You know, with what happened in CT and Boston and all.

me to manager: I'm not reponsible for other people's feelings, they are. If it's fear of the unknown, maybe we should embrace that opportunity and explain that it's legal, and allowed and if something were to transpire while I'm in the store, at least I'd be able to help out and protect us all.

Manager : well, we'd just like you to cover it up is all. We're not asking you to leave, we want you to stay and shop. Would you mind ?

Me to manager: I do mind. I'm really sorry, and I understand what you're saying, but I refuse to cover something that I'm not ashamed of. If my shopping in your store is conditional upon covering my legally carried firearm, I'll happily leave and spend my money elsewhere with no problems. Again, not trying to be a jerk, I understand what you're saying but I do not want to cover my sidearm. I will leave though if this is unacceptable, just so we're clear.

Tim: Look man, I get what you're saying, and we support your right to carry. We both encourage it and certainly don't have a problem with it, but we would prefer that you cover it up. I mean, we've asked other folks to cover theirs and they have no problem with it. Whaddya say ?

Me: I still say that I refuse to cover something I'm not ashamed of and again, just to be clear, I totally understand what you're saying and if I need to leave, just say so and I'm happy to. No worries :)

Manager lady: well, we'll let it go but if I get another complaint...

Tim: yeah, if we get another complaint then we'll have to call the police.

Me: The police ? <puzzled>.. what for? I've not broken any laws, and I already made myself clear that if I need to leave, simply say the word and I will do so without incident or complaint :)

Someone pulled manager away at this point and I had a great discussion with Tim about guns and other patrons and the like. I even showed him a video of my 10 yr old shooting my M&P (on my phone) and things were great.

My wife was upset about their 'favoritism' (if I was a cop or not) and ranted about it all night :laugh:

They didn't want me to leave, they really wanted me to stay, they made that point clear. It's almost like each time I proposed leaving to avoid a conflict, they were like "no, pull up a chair and hang out"...

Just wanted to share this with ATM :D
    Wives are like that. Always ranting about something. You can't live with 'em.............

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    daddymikey,

You handled the situation very well. I probably would have got PO'd and left. In the end things turned out well, sharing videos with the guy. Gotta love it. Hopefully because of the positive encounter with you he will handle the next situation a little differently and be a more concerned with people's rights than with people's feelings. The more people are willing to publicly exercise their 2nd Amendment rights, the more quickly we will stop all the political correctness. After all, its more a modern-day form of discrimination, there is nothing "correct" about it. :yesway::yesway:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom