We defied the wind and slayed smallmouths!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Was finally able to take my niece's boyfriend smallmouth fishing on the Tippy yesterday. Warm temps, but HIGH WINDS!!!!! Boat control can get frustrating with current pushing the boat one way, and variable high speed winds doing the opposite. However, in the area that we fished, I've had real good days in high winds. ;)

When I take someone for the first time, I put myself in 'guide' mode. I want their first trip to be good, so I give them first shot at most spots. :D

Dave's first smally of the day;

DSCN3478Pw.jpg

A little later;

DSCN3481Pw.jpg

After that, he caught his biggest smallmouth ever, a nice 19-20" version

DSCN3482Pw.jpg

I lost one like that on my fifth cast. :xmad:

We were only on the water about 4 hours, and landed about 20 bass, mostly smallies, and a couple spotted bass. It was a good day.

In spite of the wind!

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Awesome! What stretch were you on? I usually fish it north of you in Pulaski/Fulton counties. Didn't get up there for any floats this summer:(. They have been catching a number of muskies on the northern stretches of the tippy for a few years now. A buddy caught a 46" muskie a few years ago while casting a black buzzbait for smallies! Nothing beats river fishing.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Nice. Any topwater?

Not yesterday. I threw it for a little while, but only had one hit. It was a spinnerbait day. :D

However, in the previous three weeks, I had a tremendous amount of topwater action, using a Srike King Rage Shad. Simply the best topwater action I've had on a river. Let alone, during October. But my hit/landing ratio was low. Trouble getting good hook set. I'm guessing the tail is covering up the barb when they hit it. I just found this pic of a different way to rig it I need to try;

411_rage_shad_jig_head_small_copy.jpg

I've been fishing it something like this, without weight;

shad2.jpg

I may also try the Rage Toad. It has split tails that might not interfere with the hook. :D

mmmmm

Awesome! What stretch were you on? I usually fish it north of you in Pulaski/Fulton counties. Didn't get up there for any floats this summer:(. They have been catching a number of muskies on the northern stretches of the tippy for a few years now. A buddy caught a 46" muskie a few years ago while casting a black buzzbait for smallies! Nothing beats river fishing.

We were in Carrol county. :D I've fished the area above Winimac a couple times in the last few years. I hoped to hook a pike, or two, but no luck. Smally action was good, though.

Very nice!

Thanks. Nothing like taking someone fishing, and hooking them up with their biggest Smally!

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    love catching smallies!

Looks like a great day!

Yes, it was.

Born and raised in Winamac, I've got tippy water in my blood!:D The beaver are reaking havoc on the float trips though! Trees down everywhere!

There's been a problem the last few years with fallen trees just north of where the Tippy enters the Wabash.

Nicely done! I had some smallie action last weekend at Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkly. Gotta love the bronzebacks!

Thanks.

nice fish

Thanks.

The Tippy!!:rockwoot:Awesome fish! My favorite kind of fishing - fishing for smallmouth in creeks and rivers. :yesway:

Thanks.

Nice Smallies, congrats :rockwoot:

That last one is a pig! :yesway:

I got this one on the big lake last week pulling a gulp crawdad rig.

IMAG0142.jpg

Nice!

Carroll County? Did your excursion involve an upstream ramp on the Wabash?

Oops! White County. :laugh:

Jacobm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Newton County
    Sure, just when some of us are getting fired up on deer hunting, you guys post pictures of some awesome Bronzebacks. This time of year is so confusing. Too much cool stuff to do and not enough time.

Great job guys.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    Sure, just when some of us are getting fired up on deer hunting, you guys post pictures of some awesome Bronzebacks. This time of year is so confusing. Too much cool stuff to do and not enough time.

Great job guys.

Dont forget the Steelies, Kings and Cohos.

I hear ya though.

Choices, choices.....:dunno:

Top Bottom