Being happy that you achieved 15 mpg on the highway

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Having a car with a radio only capable of receiving the AM band.

My first car (1960 Olds 98) not only had an am radio, but it had tubes, so it took 2 or 3 minutes to warm up before it would start playing. On the upside, it had the "Wonder Bar", which scanned to the next strongest station without touching the dials. Cool thing was, you could also activate it via a switch on the floorboard next to the dimmer switch for the lights (remember dimmer switches on the floor?). I had a lot of fun messing with people by just pointing at the radio and changing stations (they woudn't be paying attention to what my left foot was doing). :)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Pumping the gas pedal to start a car

Flooding the car and it not starting

Setting a manual choke

Two speed windshield wipers

Being happy that you achieved 15 mpg on the highway

All excellent examples.

The last one will continue to be experienced when towing...but probably then only.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    -Getting up early to watch the entire slate of Saturday morning cartoons
    -raiding your dad's playboy stash
    -listening to the radio for hours waiting to record (at least part of) your favorite song
    -look something up in an encyclopedia
    -pay phones
    -Call long distance and talk for 30 seconds so you don't need a second mortgage

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    The triangle windows on cars. The best micro adjustable ventilation system. I miss these.

I don't miss these:

- Programming on punch cards.

- Using a slide rule.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Hauling water from a pond to water the garden. Even when you had a pump, and hose. Kept the kids busy, no loafing allowed. Oh, and doing farm chores before you went to school. And then after again.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    -Getting up early to watch the entire slate of Saturday morning cartoons
    -raiding your dad's playboy stash
    -listening to the radio for hours waiting to record (at least part of) your favorite song
    -look something up in an encyclopedia
    -pay phones
    -Call long distance and talk for 30 seconds so you don't need a second mortgage

And then having the DJ screw it up by talking over the intro or cutting in before the song ended! :xmad:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Some years ago I worked delivering items bought at the store I worked at. A Map Book was king!

Taping songs off broadcast radio. That took some great patience I tell you.

Hoping the Blockbuster had enough new Terminator tape copies so I could still get one.

Rebuilding a car alternator. It was very simple and cheaper than a new ($35) one.

I used to remember dozens of phone numbers. Cell phones have ruined that for me.

I could go on all evening.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Mowing 4 yards for $3 a piece. And not getting paid!

[video=youtube;kaIZWjItReI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaIZWjItReI[/video]

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Do kids cruise anymore? That was huge when I was in high school. Driving up and down Kirkwood, then heading up Walnut, then back down College. We hooted and hollered at folks we saw, jumped in and out of different cars all night long, and occasionally got in a little trouble.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    LPs on the Hi-Fi
    Cigarette machines in the lobbies of restaurants
    Making ice by filling the little trays with water and freezing them
    I still have a couple of dial phones, and yes, you can still use them
    My dad knew a guy that did his tuneups for him, by ear
    The attendant pumping your gas, washing the windows, checking your fluids. I was freaked out in Oregon when I went to a gas station and this crackhead looking derelict approached my car from behind. I found out OR requires a station employee to pump your gas.
    Feeling let down every time a show came on TV and it said "In Color" but it wasn't. I eventually figured out it was because the TV was black & white. Duh.
    Cast iron cookware
    Canning fruits & vegetables

Let my mom loose on a thread like this, she's 91. She goes back to the days of the icebox, buying their chickens live because they were cheaper, going over to the neighbor's to use the party line phone, being able to get anywhere in town on buses and streetcars, manual typewriters and the comptometer... My dad recalled estimating road trips not in miles or hours, but by how many flat tires they would expect to have on the way. His dad owned a print shop, and did the bulk of the work on a linotype. A friend of his had a printshop in Carmel, run by his son now, and they finally retired one of the last linotypes a few years ago.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My first car (1960 Olds 98) not only had an am radio, but it had tubes, so it took 2 or 3 minutes to warm up before it would start playing. On the upside, it had the "Wonder Bar", which scanned to the next strongest station without touching the dials. Cool thing was, you could also activate it via a switch on the floorboard next to the dimmer switch for the lights (remember dimmer switches on the floor?). I had a lot of fun messing with people by just pointing at the radio and changing stations (they woudn't be paying attention to what my left foot was doing). :)

Pushing a button on the floorboard with your foot to dim or brighten your headlights.

Slamming a phone down when you're good and pissed.

Ahem... ;)

Top Bottom