• DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Originally Posted by*DeadeyeChrista'sdad*

OH, MY. GOSH. Using old incomplete microfiche files to build medium and large power transformer frames at Westinghouse in Muncie.

The microfiche the Air Force had for identifying aircraft parts was actually better than the CD-ROM product that replaced it. There were three-dimensional drawings in the fiche

Westinghouse had bought out GE's Large Power Transformer Division. Those that we made in Muncie came from their Sharon, PA plant. For the record, I believe those were the best and most robust transformers ever built. The combination of efficiency and reliability is unmatched.

As with so many things at Westinghouse, though, the microfiche room was a mess. Management didn't seem to understand the importance of keeping the files secure and organized, and so many of the employees figured the place was going to close soon anyway, and just didn't care. It sucked.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Get asked "Regular or unleaded?"

Come home from playing in the woods ALL DAY long and have your mom ask where you've been all day as part of conversation not concern.

Run from the cops when your party in the woods gets busted.

Have a paper route and HOPE to end up with $100 accumulated by the end of the year.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Get asked "Regular or unleaded?"...

Pulling into the gas station and saying, "fill 'er up."
    Having the attendant pump your gas, check your oil, AND wash your windshield.
    Paying in cash and having the attendant make change with one of those little metal things on his belt.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We was fancy.:yesway:

Had a box on top of the TV to do that...

images

(Kicking the ground with my big toe) I still use one, on the stereo antenna on the barn. Of course as soon as I get the 30 ft tower up I'll be doing that in the house for the t.v. as well.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    We was fancy.:yesway:

Had a box on top of the TV to do that...

images

I remember going up on the roof with my dad when he installed one of those. I thought it was the coolest bit of technology. Remote control antenna!

I also remember when he put the ladder against the edge of the roof and put his foot on the bottom rung, the cat ran right past him up the ladder, turned around and looked back down like "What's taking you so long?" Cats haven't changed much.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Milk delivered to your house and put in a milk box on the front porch.
    Today the vet has the same insulated box on their porch for lab samples to be picked up after hours. I foolishly made a joke to the 20 year old receptionist about the milk box. She looked at me like I was from Mars, or like I was 100 years old.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Pulling into the gas station and saying, "fill 'er up."
    Having the attendant pump your gas, check your oil, AND wash your windshield.
    Paying in cash and having the attendant make change with one of those little metal things on his belt.
    Never been to New Jersey or Oregon? :dunno:

Actually, I was glad that Bulgaria had attendants since I had no clue...

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    Today the vet has the same insulated box on their porch for lab samples to be picked up after hours. I foolishly made a joke to the 20 year old receptionist about the milk box. She looked at me like I was from Mars, or like I was 100 years old.
    Our milkman actually came in the house and put it in the "icebox" (refrigerator, the kind with 8" x 8" freezer).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

And you took the paper/foil "cap" off the glass jug, and dug out the "fat plug" before you could pour it.

ETA: And I don't think it's PC to call it "Homo Milk" anymore... :):

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Geez, I thought I was old.

In my memory, milk always came from a store, though I remember 1 gallon waxed cardboard cartons before plastic jugs.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Geez, I thought I was old.

In my memory, milk always came from a store, though I remember 1 gallon waxed cardboard cartons before plastic jugs.

You know, I'm surprised there hasn't been a push to go back to those cartons. At least they were biodegradable if not recyclable.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Around the same time period as glass jugs of milk being delivered, I remember the Culligan man walking in our house (he had a key apparently), and yelling "Culligan Man" when he delivered the salt tank (?) each month (I think).

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I have to admit, there are a lot of things mentioned in this thread that I didn't realize were gone.
    I'm in that season of life where you wake up and it's 10 years later.
    When Hough mentioned waxed cardboard milk containers I genuinely thought to myself 'oh yeah, I haven't seen those in a while, when did that happen?'

Top Bottom