• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    After 5 months of red tape and waiting around, we finally moved. Bought a house in Morgan County. What a drive to get to anything. But, I think it will be cool eventually.

Jason

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Congratulations!! I grew up in southern Johnson county and spent a LOT of time in morgan county. Being far away from everything means you'll take fewer trips. It all works out in the end. ;)

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    We're hoping that it does mean fewer trips. Also eating out much less. We had a real problem with that while living in Greenwood. The place we live now has a resteraunt. Maybe 2 or 3. None are chains and we haven't tried any of them yet. There is also one car repair place. I think I'll be meeting that place on Monday. :-(

Jason

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    problems

The first problem was short sale purchase. Then, we had a problem with our mortgage broker. The first one we started with quit. He was in Greenwood. the one that took over was in Valpo. He had to have us resign all the paperwork 4 different times. He had a management company hire an appraiser. The appraiser was from noblesville. He said he would do the job. A week went by and we hear he won't do it unless he gets more money cause of the drive. So, we give him another $150 on top of the $460 we already gave him. He was to do an appraisal "as is". He didn't do that. He made the appraisal conditional on some jobs being done. His comparables were also way out of wack. Not close to the size of the house. Not the same age. Much different land size.
    One of the jobs he wanted fixed were gutters straightened. He didn't say which ones. We had already planned on replacing them once we moved in. He also said "some windows" needed reglazed. He never said which ones. So, we had to wait for him to go back down to the house to be more specific. We waited another week. We find out a week later that he had been on vacation without telling anyone. We had taken the week off work so we could start moving as soon as possible. Wasted week of vacation.

Finally we hear back from him. We then do the jobs that needed done according to him. We spent $1600 doing repairs to a house we don't own. Then we wait some more for him to go back and inspect our work. And we wait. And wait. He says he will go. Then says he won't go until he gets another $125. We pay and he goes. So $735 total for an appraisal that was supposed to be done "as is".

Then we wait for the bank. And for our mortgage broker. And more on the bank. After over 5 months from the day the bank accepted our offer we are finally moving in.

Jason

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Wow! Sounds like this guy was a real dandy. We have our mortgage through Home Bank because we wanted to support the most locally operated and managed bank in the area. They are extremely easy to work with and gave us a really good rate. If you ever do a refi, I would recommend them.

Welcome to Morgan Co!

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    We don't have a range :-( We only have 2 acres. But I mowed it yesterday and it took most of the day. So many leaves to pick up. Pine needles too. There are some sections in the back of the property I haven't even been to yet. It sure is dark out there at night.

Jason

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    chicken

I saw the Sgt. Peppers Chicken last night on my way to long john silvers. The lights were on but it didn't look like anyone was around. This morning I had to take my truck to the shop for some work. I just put my bike in the back and rode home. Didn't see another person anywhere at about 8:15am. Seemed very strange to not see anyone out and about.

Jason

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Speaking of which, anybody have any rental property out in the country around brown, bartholomew, jackson, or Johnson counties?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The first problem was short sale purchase. Then, we had a problem with our mortgage broker. The first one we started with quit. He was in Greenwood. the one that took over was in Valpo. He had to have us resign all the paperwork 4 different times. He had a management company hire an appraiser. The appraiser was from noblesville. He said he would do the job. A week went by and we hear he won't do it unless he gets more money cause of the drive. So, we give him another $150 on top of the $460 we already gave him. He was to do an appraisal "as is". He didn't do that. He made the appraisal conditional on some jobs being done. His comparables were also way out of wack. Not close to the size of the house. Not the same age. Much different land size.
    One of the jobs he wanted fixed were gutters straightened. He didn't say which ones. We had already planned on replacing them once we moved in. He also said "some windows" needed reglazed. He never said which ones. So, we had to wait for him to go back down to the house to be more specific. We waited another week. We find out a week later that he had been on vacation without telling anyone. We had taken the week off work so we could start moving as soon as possible. Wasted week of vacation.

Finally we hear back from him. We then do the jobs that needed done according to him. We spent $1600 doing repairs to a house we don't own. Then we wait some more for him to go back and inspect our work. And we wait. And wait. He says he will go. Then says he won't go until he gets another $125. We pay and he goes. So $735 total for an appraisal that was supposed to be done "as is".

Then we wait for the bank. And for our mortgage broker. And more on the bank. After over 5 months from the day the bank accepted our offer we are finally moving in.

Jason

You should have used a local bank or mortgage company. Some Mortgage Brokers can actually be worse scum of the earth than bankruptcy lawyers you see on late night TV.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    yeah I agree. the guy we started with was great. But he quit and we were transferred to this guy up in the region. If we had known what we know now we would have gotten someone else as soon as we could. He was terrible. The gov't took something that was broken and then broke it even worse.

Jason

Top Bottom