• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Letter to the editor in todays Journal & Courrier. Man, how can people be so dense?

Letters to the editor: May 27

and thanks to Chipotle for giving them what they see as a victory. The more companies that give in to PC BS the harder it'll be to get these people just to quietly sit down and shut up.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I think we grow 'em dense everywhere these days. Yep, they do see it as victory, it's too bad.
    But also as gun owners we should NOT be showing up, open carrying AR's, AK's, tactical shotguns etc.
    Open carry of handgun is just fine with me, but it's these guys that want to "prove a point", by showing up with an AR slung across their chest.
    Just my opinion, YMMV.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Although I'm not of the type to carry my AR into a restaurant, if Chipotle want's to deny me my rights, fine. Too many other places to eat for that to bother me one iota. They have a product to sell, and I won't be buying.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I think we grow 'em dense everywhere these days. Yep, they do see it as victory, it's too bad.
    But also as gun owners we should NOT be showing up, open carrying AR's, AK's, tactical shotguns etc.
    Open carry of handgun is just fine with me, but it's these guys that want to "prove a point", by showing up with an AR slung across their chest.
    Just my opinion, YMMV.

We have discussed this one elsewhere, and IIRC, these guys weren't trying to make a political point. They had been attending an event/rally. It was over and they were hungry. They sought and got the permission to bring in their rifles so they could eat. Someone pissed his pants at seeing an evil gun and the whole thing got outta hand.

I'll refrain from mentioning the obvious implications of exercising our rights according the whims of others.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    :popcorn:

Guys like the guy at Walmart in Columbus proves their point...daily, sadly, I'm afraid. Thats the type of Ammo that they used to say that Starbucks needed to ban firearms.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    "...entered a Dallas location brandishing assault weapons..."

Let me make sure i have this right.

A group entered a Dallas eating place with fully automatic, select fire weapons and were brandishing them around?

Why don't I believe this?

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I keep telling that voice in the back of my head that we are not going to lose. After all, this is America, and our rights could never fall. But then I remember all the other rights that have fallen, and I look at the people around me that constitute the modern America and I am deeply saddened. I want the old America back. We all had the right to grow up free, and while we are still technically free, we are not really.

Think of it this way. The dog with the collar on, behind the invisible fence, looks over at the neighbor dog who is on a chain, and believes hes free. While the stray dog looks at them both and KNOWS hes free.

We used to be free, now we all wear collars and are happy to be better than most everyone else. How long until we are on chains as well?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    From a customers perspective, in the world we live in today. How do I know the guy standing around with an AR or AK is not getting ready to "hose" the place?
    You don't know. He very well could be the next "nut" getting ready to carry out an act of violence. Do I agree with a store/shop banning people from open carrying of firearm? No. But I do see their concerns. How about we all behave like we have half a brain. I do not open carry myself, why give your potential opponent the opportunity to see what he may be up against.
    I am not against open carry either. I just think when you have people open carrying long guns it sends the wrong message about all gun owners. The people walking from a rally, could have easily walked back to their vehicle and put their guns away, and then go get something to eat.

paulh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Evansville
    Hey, this isn't like the congress where its' my way or the highway. Compromise works better than in your face crap. You get to ccw plus everyone else in the place is unaware.I agree with 223 gunner. Just use a little common sense. Everybody has rights not just gun owners

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    From a customers perspective, in the world we live in today. How do I know the guy standing around with an AR or AK is not getting ready to "hose" the place?
    You don't know. He very well could be the next "nut" getting ready to carry out an act of violence. Do I agree with a store/shop banning people from open carrying of firearm? No. But I do see their concerns. How about we all behave like we have half a brain. I do not open carry myself, why give your potential opponent the opportunity to see what he may be up against.
    I am not against open carry either. I just think when you have people open carrying long guns it sends the wrong message about all gun owners. The people walking from a rally, could have easily walked back to their vehicle and put their guns away, and then go get something to eat.
    How do you know the guy with a handgun isn't getting ready to hose the place? How do you know the guy with the gun you can't see isn't going ready to hose the place?

The response is reactionary and irrational.

Voting/driving/child bearing/guns.....the list goes on. Just because you can does not mean you should.....or you "Have" to.
    A right doesn't need a reason or justification to be exercised.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    In the comment section is a lengthy comment by one Betty Memmer. She is a real piece of work. She came into my place of business and in a waiting room full of people exclaimed louder than necessary that "If you don't agree with our president, then you're just a RACIST!" Why my boss didn't throw he out right then and there is beyond me.
    She is a 'women's rights' activist and works for planned parenthood and needs to learn to keep her big mouth shut.
    *rant over*

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    My letter to the editor in response:

In response to Julia Chester of West Lafayette, praising MDA for pressuring restaurants into asking - not demanding - customers leave their personal protection choices at home: Disarming citizens was the centerpiece of the History Channel's programming over the long memorial day weekend. If you didn't tune in Julia, you may want to watch more history channel in the future. More to the point, asking customers to leave their protection tools at home will not affect anyone but those who are polite and obey laws and rules already. Had there been even one armed Californian near by the recent tragedy that monster could have been stopped. He could have been stopped while attempting to kill people with his BMW. He could have been stopped when he was slicing up three people with his knife. He could have been stopped when he was breaking a number of laws in attempts to kill people. On the contrary, California's draconian laws against civil rights have worked. Those who may have helped couldn't. Congratulations Shannon Watts - paid mouthpiece for General Electric Healthcare, WellPoint, VoxPop, Monsanto...and now MDA. I feel for restaurants like Chipotle and Starbucks - they just want to sell their product. That's why they made these requests, not demands. They are in the business of selling food and coffee, not making political statements. MDA is dragging them into the political arena. The American people - in contrast to the article - are standing by their rights, not any lobby. The American people in poll after poll want our Government focused on the economy, the war, healthcare - not gun control. It's the American people that have spoken and jerked the chains of congressional employees, not any lobby.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    My letter to the editor in response:

In response to Julia Chester of West Lafayette, praising MDA for pressuring restaurants into asking - not demanding - customers leave their personal protection choices at home: Disarming citizens was the centerpiece of the History Channel's programming over the long memorial day weekend. If you didn't tune in Julia, you may want to watch more history channel in the future. More to the point, asking customers to leave their protection tools at home will not affect anyone but those who are polite and obey laws and rules already. Had there been even one armed Californian near by the recent tragedy that monster could have been stopped. He could have been stopped while attempting to kill people with his BMW. He could have been stopped when he was slicing up three people with his knife. He could have been stopped when he was breaking a number of laws in attempts to kill people. On the contrary, California's draconian laws against civil rights have worked. Those who may have helped couldn't. Congratulations Shannon Watts - paid mouthpiece for General Electric Healthcare, WellPoint, VoxPop, Monsanto...and now MDA. I feel for restaurants like Chipotle and Starbucks - they just want to sell their product. That's why they made these requests, not demands. They are in the business of selling food and coffee, not making political statements. MDA is dragging them into the political arena. The American people - in contrast to the article - are standing by their rights, not any lobby. The American people in poll after poll want our Government focused on the economy, the war, healthcare - not gun control. It's the American people that have spoken and jerked the chains of congressional employees, not any lobby.

+1 sir. Well said.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    My response:

I am always fascinated by the language used by the "caring" and "compassionate" anti-gun lobby. They call people exercising their fundamental freedoms "extremists" and "fools" and (like Betty Memmer) inevitably throw in a penis reference (what is it with anti-gun people and their fascination with genitalia?).

And as usual, Julia's MDA missive is filled with misinformation. There are no states where guns may be purchased from a dealer without a background check. None. Zero. Nada. And yes, that applies to gun shows too. The only time that a gun can be purchased without a background check is when sales occur between individuals, and even then the seller has certain responsibilities under the law.

Also, dear Julia, business have no duty to protect their patrons against people exercising their rights. For that matter, they have no duty to protect their patrons against illegal activity. Even the police (despite slogans such as "To Protect and Serve") do not have that duty; their job is to enforce the law. Care to guess who is responsible for your safety? You are, Julia.

Oh and by the way, Chipoltle banned nothing. They simply requested that customers refrain from open carry. Wow, quite a feather in the cap of "Liberal Mothers Demand Action But Will Settle for an Appeasing Press Release." (.org) I'm glad that it makes you feel better but those are simply empty words from a company attempting to make a controversy go away.

Nothing has changed. I and others like me will continue to exercise our Constitutionally guaranteed freedoms as we deem appropriate. We will protect ourselves, our family, and our community as safe and responsible gun owners. And the anti-gun lobby will continue to portray us as gun-totin' extremists. And so it goes...

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    My response:

I am always fascinated by the language used by the "caring" and "compassionate" anti-gun lobby. They call people exercising their fundamental freedoms "extremists" and "fools" and (like Betty Memmer) inevitably throw in a penis reference (what is it with anti-gun people and their fascination with genitalia?).

And as usual, Julia's MDA missive is filled with misinformation. There are no states where guns may be purchased from a dealer without a background check. None. Zero. Nada. And yes, that applies to gun shows too. The only time that a gun can be purchased without a background check is when sales occur between individuals, and even then the seller has certain responsibilities under the law.

Also, dear Julia, business have no duty to protect their patrons against people exercising their rights. For that matter, they have no duty to protect their patrons against illegal activity. Even the police (despite slogans such as "To Protect and Serve") do not have that duty; their job is to enforce the law. Care to guess who is responsible for your safety? You are, Julia.

Oh and by the way, Chipoltle banned nothing. They simply requested that customers refrain from open carry. Wow, quite a feather in the cap of "Liberal Mothers Demand Action But Will Settle for an Appeasing Press Release." (.org) I'm glad that it makes you feel better but those are simply empty words from a company attempting to make a controversy go away.

Nothing has changed. I and others like me will continue to exercise our Constitutionally guaranteed freedoms as we deem appropriate. We will protect ourselves, our family, and our community as safe and responsible gun owners. And the anti-gun lobby will continue to portray us as gun-totin' extremists. And so it goes...

So much common sense. Think they'll publish? LOL. Thanks Brother. +1

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    How do you know the guy with a handgun isn't getting ready to hose the place? How do you know the guy with the gun you can't see isn't going ready to hose the place?

The response is reactionary and irrational.

I don't know. If I walk into a store, see a bunch of strangers with rifles at the ready, and choose to leave, I would consider that good situational awareness.

Maybe they're not up to any mischief, but I'm not interested in sticking around to find out. And I'm definitely not going to expose my family to that risk, for the sake of proving I'm not "irrational" or "reactionary".

My response:

Good response. The posts by Memmer and Urcuioli were predictable. She always tosses in a penis reference, and he's just as nasty as the dickens if you dare disagree with him. He must be a swell prof...

An example of his towering intellect:
    P.U. · Top Commenter · Lafayette, IndianaJohn Becker Hey, nitwit...There WERE armed personnel on the base.
    Reply · Like · Edited · 17 hours ago

Last edited:
    Top Bottom