**WE** know not to talk to the police...do your children?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    What about the situation where you or your husband is hurt to the point of death or incapacitation and to get help for you your child is going to have to talk to an LE officer? Is your teaching going to be black and white or are you going to allow a little gray in there?

thats what family is for. The school has all that contact info and I can hardly see how the police talking to my child is gonna help that situation. I definitely DO NOT want a police officer telling my child mommy and daddy are hurt bad. besides, say the cops cant get ahold of the family, are they really gonna ask a childs permission to take them to a safe place anyways? no.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    thats what family is for. The school has all that contact info and I can hardly see how the police talking to my child is gonna help that situation. I definitely DO NOT want a police officer telling my child mommy and daddy are hurt bad.

I'm not talking about at school with the school notifying your child you are hurt. I'm talking about the child being by themselves and needing help for one or both parents.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What about the situation where you or your husband is hurt to the point of death or incapacitation and to get help for you your child is going to have to talk to an LE officer? Is your teaching going to be black and white or are you going to allow a little gray in there?

Apparently her husband will be sol in such case.

awatarius

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    When Police Interrogate Children | The Freeman | Ideas On Liberty

SCOTUS decision upcoming on "custody" status when being questioned by police in a school environment. Long story short: prosecutors argued the 13y/o boy wasn't "in custody" and no reasonable man would have thought that he was either. (What about a reasonable 13y/o?????) Ergo, there were no violations of any of NC's multiple statutes that were disregarded.

I'll be honest: this increasing intrusion of the nanny state into the schools with the simultaneous empowerment of the police state is a large part of my decision to homeschool. I only hope that I can walk that fine line of teaching my children not to talk to LE without making them (LE) out to be the enemy.

I think this is a great idea!!! May I make a suggestion? I was homeschooled and I loved it. Being in homeschool of course made it apparent that there were other groups of homeschoolers out there, and often networking starts. I noticed very rapidly that in some ways many homeschoolers were socially retarded, or at the very least socially stunted. I was not.. and I wondered why. As I got older I learned the difference. I was heavily into boyscouts, 4H, and my Grandmother worked very hard to get me on the school sports programs and music (since we paid the taxes to the school she made the argument I should have some access). The school agreed and these things gave me the avenue into different forms of social structure that are ESSENTIAL for a growing child. The kids that didn't have that were significantly affected and it still affects many of them today. Just a suggestion from experience!

Thanks,
    Matthew

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I'm not talking about at school with the school notifying your child you are hurt. I'm talking about the child being by themselves and needing help for one or both parents.

mine knows how to dial 911 only for when theres an emergency. I have made sure I didnt teach her police are bad. I just taught her we dont tell strangers, even police, stuff without mommy, daddy, or grandma or grandpa saying its ok. thats just good common sense in my opinion. its not unreasonable to assume that criminals also dress up as police and try to take our children.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    mine knows how to dial 911 only for when theres an emergency. I have made sure I didnt teach her police are bad. I just taught her we dont tell strangers, even police, stuff without mommy, daddy, or grandma or grandpa saying its ok. thats just good common sense in my opinion. its not unreasonable to assume that criminals also dress up as police and try to take our children.

You're going off on a tangent. I'm talking about a gen-u-ine emergency where E5 or Mrs. E5 is incapacitated to the point that little E5 needs to contact the police and tell them that there is something wrong and that you need help. Have you taught your child never to talk to the police without you there so that your child just lets you lay where you are without calling help for you? After all, one should never talk to the police, no matter what.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I dont teach them that police are bad, but just they do not have my kid's best interests in mind all the time as I or my wife would. I do not want some interrogation to lead them to admitting they were someplace that could be taken a wrong way by the wrong person only looking to get their arrest/conviction rate up. And they are out there. Trust me. My wife and I are the only people that will 100% without question or fail have our kid's best interests in mind and I will be dammned if I am not going to be present for anything like that.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    You're going off on a tangent. I'm talking about a gen-u-ine emergency where E5 or Mrs. E5 is incapacitated to the point that little E5 needs to contact the police and tell them that there is something wrong and that you need help. Have you taught your child never to talk to the police without you there so that your child just lets you lay where you are without calling help for you? After all, one should never talk to the police, no matter what.

no tangent here. im just trying to describe things. im not trying to argue here.

yes I have taught her how to ask for help. im wont teach my child to be a mindless robot who only speaks when her parents allow her too. I want her to be a free thinker. also not that it would ever happen, but what IF she needed help from a parent? I wouldnt want her to not get help. :twocents:

in reality there is only so much detail I can get into with her now because of her age. so I just have made it simple as I know how. She is NOT afraid of the police. I have friends who are police officers and she loves them and knows that they protect us from the bad guys :), but she also knows daddy does that too;)

when she goes to school she also will be told to make sure I or my wife is called if she is in trouble in the office. I dont need some school administrator talking to or scolding my kid without me there. if she did wrong, she will face the music, but Im the parent and will take responsibility for it.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    So....Kids should be allowed to steal? Let's forget about the rights of your neighbors who had things stolen from them, your kids and their freedom from having to answer for the things that they've done wrong are more important.

All that being said, I realize that the majority of parents on this site are better parents than what I must deal with in my job. Also, I realize that an effective parent is a better preventative than putting a juvenile in the criminal justice system. I just know of a lot of parents of 20 year olds that would rather get their kids out of trouble than make them act like adults.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I have instructed my children to not to make statements to LEOs or school officials with out me or their mother present and if we are not available ask for a lawyer. Being respectful is a must, and exchanging pleasantries is fine.

After Ingunguy daughter's troubles I included school officials.

The phrase "I don't consent to searches" is being drilled into them lately.

MAJB Retired

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Several years ago, I had a Honda CT70 stolen from my yard in Hancock County. I reported the theft to the County Sheriff and my insurance company (wouldn't pay because it wasn't used to maintain the property). Anyway, I bought it a couple years earlier for 150, so not to much of a deal (just pissed me off). But, a month later it was involved in a traffic accident on Washington Street, in Marion County. I didn't get notified until a month after that, and it ended up costing me a month's storage. Plus, when I called the Marion County Sheriff's office, they were they least helpful, rudest folds I had ever dealt with. Thank god I don't live in Marion County!
    :rockwoot:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Several years ago, I had a Honda CT70 stolen from my yard in Hancock County. I reported the theft to the County Sheriff and my insurance company (wouldn't pay because it wasn't used to maintain the property). Anyway, I bought it a couple years earlier for 150, so not to much of a deal (just pissed me off). But, a month later it was involved in a traffic accident on Washington Street, in Marion County. I didn't get notified until a month after that, and it ended up costing me a month's storage. Plus, when I called the Marion County Sheriff's office, they were they least helpful, rudest folds I had ever dealt with. Thank god I don't live in Marion County!
    :rockwoot:

Law Enforcement agencies collusion with towing and storage companies is a very big scam!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Well, I wasn't. But I think you knew that and are just stirring the pot.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Well, I wasn't. But I think you knew that and are just stirring the pot.

No, actually I wasn't. You said no matter what the situation your children would never be allowed to talk to LE. I asked the "what if" question about an emergency where your child must to talk to a member of LE in order to get help for you. I was interested in your answer, but obviously you aren't willing to have an adult conversation about it, so you accuse me of stirring the pot. I've got better things to do so I'm taking my spoon and going home.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

No, actually I wasn't. You said no matter what the situation your children would never be allowed to talk to LE. I asked the "what if" question about an emergency where your child must to talk to a member of LE in order to get help for you. I was interested in your answer, but obviously you aren't willing to have an adult conversation about it, so you accuse me of stirring the pot. I've got better things to do so I'm taking my spoon and going home.

That's how I took it as well.

88GT has made some excellent points, but I think your question was more than valid.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I can see it though. Some people don't want their kids talking to the police... Personally...I taught mine not to talk to lawyers.

Until they invented this...

images

:):

Just kidding... ;)

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    well if they called 911 they most likely wouldnt even be talking to a cop. :dunno:

Top Bottom