• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    We had our first meal with only foods we put on our plates with our own hands, Deer loins, corn and green beans with onions.

Shortly after this momentous occasion our daughter was attacked by one of the roosters we have been planning to slaughter but schedules have conflicted with everyone that has promised to help us through our first time doing it. He met his demise about 30 minutes later and we "winged it" on killing and processing our first bird, it took us about 1 hr and 30 minutes to do it the first time ever (hopefully the next three will be much easier and quicker). he is now resting quietly in the fridge, and I am sure our neighbors will enjoy not hearing him at 5:30 am every morning. The rooster has attacked three of the four of us in the last week.

While getting "Rocky" (the rooster) from the coop to off him I discovered our first egg from the hens. We are unsure of how long it has been in the coop though so we are a little unsure of it being any good. We have to find some fake eggs tomorrow so they will lay in the nest boxes and not on the coop floor.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Your avatar made me think of this, as a side note if ya don't already know rooster testicles are nearly the size of human males...fyi only.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Your avatar made me think of this, as a side note if ya don't already know rooster testicles are nearly the size of human males...fyi only.

Wow, that is impressive...

Why did my Av make you think of that?:shady:

BTW, you didn't tell me what time dinner will be served...I have the most delicious recipe for fried chicken ever. Just sayin'.:):

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Not sure what we are doing with it or when we are cooking it yet. It is now skinless, we don't like the skin usually. We also threw away the neck, wings and liver gizzard of this one since it was our first and we were getting directions over the phone, from my father in law who has processed lots of wild turkeys.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Not sure what we are doing with it or when we are cooking it yet. It is now skinless, we don't like the skin usually. We also threw away the neck, wings and liver gizzard of this one since it was our first and we were getting directions over the phone, from my father in law who has processed lots of wild turkeys.

Wait, what?????????

That's like going to the butcher shop, getting a fresh Filet Mignon and peeling the bacon off before you eat it...

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Yeah well I never liked Fillet Mignon either. Grew up on a dairy farm, I knew what they ate before we ate them.

Well done or not at all.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    My papa would be appalled. These are his favorite parts. I think he likes the heart and neck the best.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Well done or not at all.

same here, I'd rather my beef be well cooked before I eat it. I'd rather it not be practically still mooing on my plate.

Oh, I get it...You guys don't like flavor in your beef.:):

If it is a good cut of meat, I want mine borderline mooing.

That being said, I would not be opposed to trying Tyler34's slow-smoked NY strip...Hey Tyler, when are you inviting me over for dinner?:dunno:

:)

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO

Hopefully you saved those parts for making stock broth for soups and flavoring at least. And the giblets for gravy...

Top Bottom