We might be able to hunt with supressors soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Wandering off the property happens. I've done it a few times over the years. I crossed a fence line 15 feet to retrieve game and got a stern talking to over it. This makes the same a crime if I had a can.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Wandering off the property happens. I've done it a few times over the years. I crossed a fence line 15 feet to retrieve game and got a stern talking to over it. This makes the same a crime if I had a can.

I was always made to believe that you needed permission to cross on to private property to retrieve game. Otherwise, it is trespassing.

Suppressed coyote whacking could be a lot of fun.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    I was always made to believe that you needed permission to cross on to private property to retrieve game. Otherwise, it is trespassing.

Suppressed coyote whacking could be a lot of fun.

I was told by the owner of the property I was hunting that it was ok to do so. The neighboring property had a new owner he didn't know about and I got the brunt of the new neighbors' anger. I've been on properties that don't have boundary markers anywhere. I've always been more careful in that situation.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Still can't hunt deer with suppressors though. Oh well, it is a start

I don't believe that's true, it's just another charge if you are doing something illegal while hunting and possessing a surpressor. Such as shooting a deer with your 9mm surpressed, or loan your buddy your surpressor to hunt, that kind of thing.

DIGEST OF SB0243 (Updated January 25, 2012 1:17 pm - DI 106)
    Silencers when hunting. Repeals the law that prohibits the possession or use of a silencer while in the act of hunting. Provides that a person who takes or possesses a deer or wild turkey: (1) unlawfully; (2) by illegal methods; or (3) with illegal devices; while using or possessing a silencer commits a Class C misdemeanor.

Last edited:

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I don't believe that's true, it's just another charge if you are doing something illegal while hunting and possessing a surpressor.

Silencers when hunting. Repeals the law that prohibits the possession or use of a silencer while in the act of hunting. Provides that a person who takes or possesses a deer or wild turkey: (1) unlawfully; (2) by illegal methods; or (3) with illegal devices; while using or possessing a silencer commits a Class C misdemeanor.

I have heard both sides. If I'm not mistaken I believe either gamez or combat45 said it would still be illegal for deer, I could be wrong on who said it but I thought it was one of them. The way it reads it definitely sounds like its good to go as long as long as your doing nothing else illegal.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I was told by the owner of the property I was hunting that it was ok to do so. The neighboring property had a new owner he didn't know about and I got the brunt of the new neighbors' anger. I've been on properties that don't have boundary markers anywhere. I've always been more careful in that situation.

So you took the word of one property owner that is was ok to go on another person's property? Not trying to be too harsh here, but what were you thinking? You crossed a fence that clearly separated two properties, not a case of getting lost. In my opinion you got what you deserved. Just be glad you were allowed to retrieve your game and not reported for trespassing.

ETA: Btw, dupe thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/192082-suppressors_for_hunting_in_indiana.html

Last edited:

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I have heard both sides. If I'm not mistaken I believe either gamez or combat45 said it would still be illegal for deer, I could be wrong on who said it but I thought it was one of them. The way it reads it definitely sounds like its good to go as long as long as your doing nothing else illegal.

Well it make sense because deer and turkey are the two animals that have specific cartriges for hunting in Indiana, that's why they would be singled out.

Don't hunt deer with your 9 or 45acp just because you don't think they can hear you!

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    I don't believe that's true, it's just another charge if you are doing something illegal while hunting and possessing a surpressor. Such as shooting a deer with your 9mm surpressed, or loan your buddy your surpressor to hunt, that kind of thing.

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. :yesway:

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Hunting deer or turkey legally will be legal with a suppressor. Poaching deer or turkey with a suppressor will be a high misdemeanor or felony.

BTW, it passed second reading today and is headed to the House.

Last edited:

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    So you took the word of one property owner that is was ok to go on another person's property? Not trying to be too harsh here, but what were you thinking? You crossed a fence that clearly separated two properties, not a case of getting lost. In my opinion you got what you deserved. Just be glad you were allowed to retrieve your game and not reported for trespassing.

ETA: Btw, dupe thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/192082-suppressors_for_hunting_in_indiana.html

It was 18 years ago, and yes, I was a naive kid back then.

I didn't see the thread, must have missed it.

Top Bottom