We MUST create more laws, there are not enough!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Lets just get to the root of the problem.
    Lets make a law making it illegal to leave your house.
    No speeding, no texting while driving, taking your horse, walking, etc.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    How about a simple solution for this problem: Punish offending drivers for damage actually done. The attempt at outlawing circumstances which may contribute to an accident is largely based on the notion that since some people cannot walk and chew gum at the same time, then walking and chewing gum simultaneously should be illegal. It makes no more sense than outlawing working testicles in the effort to prevent rape, before you consider all the secondary problems and the intrusiveness of such laws. Punish the wrong deed, not the opportunity for it to happen.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    How about a simple solution for this problem: Punish offending drivers for damage actually done. The attempt at outlawing circumstances which may contribute to an accident is largely based on the notion that since some people cannot walk and chew gum at the same time, then walking and chewing gum simultaneously should be illegal. It makes no more sense than outlawing working testicles in the effort to prevent rape, before you consider all the secondary problems and the intrusiveness of such laws. Punish the wrong deed, not the opportunity for it to happen.

EXACTLY! REPPED!

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

I'm glad people are starting to see the parallels here.

The last time I made this argument it was not well received here on INGO.

:ingo:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Can we now all please drop the charade that police do not make laws?

This.

I posted a few months back that the police often lobby for a law, and then say "don't blame us, we just enforce it.". I stated that you can't lobby for a law and then say you had nothing to do with it.

Unclemike said I was just a cop-hater. Lol.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Much as I do not look forward to an SHTF situation, one silver lining in the cloud would be a rapid liquidation of fools.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    This.

I posted a few months back that the police often lobby for a law, and then say "don't blame us, we just enforce it.". I stated that you can't lobby for a law and then say you had nothing to do with it.

Unclemike said I was just a cop-hater. Lol.

Worth repeating.

Take a look at all the cash prisons and police unions threw at "No on prop 19" in California last year. Police are NOT legislatively neutral.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    When I was a military helicopter pilot, I routinely monitored and talked on up to four transceivers while flying and navigating the aircraft; I CAN multitask. Not everyone can, but I agree that we should penalize people for the harm they actually cause, rather than the potential for harm in their actions. We've got too damned many laws anyway; how can people be expected to obey the law when there is so much of it; some of it contradictory with other parts. That's one reason why we shouldn't have professional politicians, a full-time legislature at any governmental level, or anything but a chronically overworked, very weak bureaucracy at any level of government.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland

There is something to be said for this.

In my LEO days state law required that if you were making an emergency run, you had to have your lights and siren activated.

Trouble is, as other LEOs here will affirm, you actually make far MORE emergency runs without lights & siren than with them, so as to not spook suspects, cause them to panic and harm witnesses, etc.

The police administration had enough sense to realize that this was a necessary evil, and if they tried to prohibit it we'd do it anyway out of necessity (one of the tenets of command is to never issue an order that you know the recipient cannot obey). So the rule was, if you want to make emergency runs without lights and siren, it's your decision. But you bear 100% responsibility for insuring that it can be done safely. If you're in an accident, you WILL be charged.

We didn't wreck police cars or damage stuff while making runs in this way. Well, we rarely did, anyway.

I don't see the problem with using this same approach in this case. You don't make it against the law to text...you make it against the law to hurt people or break things while you're texting.

Some people claim they can text and drive. I can't and I know it, so I don't do it. Those people who say they can, let them take the responsibility. If they're right, no harm done. If they're not, they bite the bullet for it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I had some ash from my cigar blow up into my eye. I guess smoking in vehicles should be banned. I spilled some coffee on my lap and distracted myself, outlaw drinking and eating in vehicles. I about ran off the road because a really hot girl was walking down the road, ban hot girls walking down the road. I can make the list longer...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why cannot this just be handled contractually via insurance?

If you are on your cell phone (talking, texting rhino, watching youtube, inter alia) then your rates sky rocket or there is no coverage.

Seems from doing what I do is that people fear the insurance company much more than they fear a ticket from the cops.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Police are NOT legislatively neutral.

I never claimed they were politically neutral but they do not create law. They can lobby for it just as anyone else can, they may be looked at with some expectation of a certain level of experience or expertise on a subject but they do not decide what becomes law.

I'm sure I'm wasting my breath because, at least on INGO, cops are responsible for most everything, but I'll continue to point out that which is wrong whether anyone wants to hear it or not.

Last edited:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I never claimed they were politically neutral but they do not create law. They can lobby for it just as anyone else can, they may be looked at with some expectation of a certain level of experience or expertise on a subject but they do not decide what becomes law.

I'm sure wasting my breath because, at least on INGO, cops are responsible for most everything, but I'll continue to point out that which is wrong whether anyone wants to hear it or not.

I thought truckers were now responsible for everything?

Top Bottom