We need a universal background check.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Are you a registered dealer or sell at gun shows? If not, then a UBC wouldn't apply to you.

Lol. Who told you that?

You really don't know what UBC means, and what has been previously proposed and in some cases passed into law. That is obvious. Here's a hint, and try really hard to get this... the "U" stands for "UNIVERSAL".

And I have sold at gun shows, which is no different than selling across the street from the gun show, or in a WalMart parking lot, or in my living room.

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    If you can't prevent guns from getting into jail, stricter rules on the law-abiding can't help.

[video=youtube_share;4jsz0Y96MII]http://youtu.be/4jsz0Y96MII[/video]

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Lol. Who told you that?

You really don't know what UBC means, and what has been previously proposed and in some cases passed into law. That is obvious. Here's a hint, and try really hard to get this... the "U" stands for "UNIVERSAL".

And I have sold at gun shows, which is no different than selling across the street from the gun show, or in a WalMart parking lot, or in my living room.

Even if the "90% of gun owners support UBC" were true it's meaningless when people don't even understand what it is.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    That's not the way any of these proposed and current state laws have been written.
    Maybe he's getting UBC confused with that last round of do-nothing executive orders that promised to crack down on unlicensed dealers?

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    UBC's are just another feel-good "solution" to the "problem" of "illegal guns" (yes, a little heavy on the quotes there). As with the existing array of firearms laws, they only work if people are willing to obey them.

Adding to the current slew of laws will do nothing. It is already illegal to transfer a firearm to a prohibited person under existing laws. I doubt that Hector Homeboy or Joe Mope the redneck is going to worry about yet one more crime he commits when informally providing a firearm to his criminal buddy.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The only real problem I see with the current system is that people who have been psychotic and under mental health care all their lives are protected by HIPPA and still pass a NICS background check. If a 50+ year old has been drawing disability for mental health issues and living with his mother for his entire adult life, there should be some flags raised somewhere.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I can't believe everyone is giving Dave such a hard time. You are always so mean to him. No matter what he says you all jump on him and tell him he is wrong.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    The only real problem I see with the current system is that people who have been psychotic and under mental health care all their lives are protected by HIPPA and still pass a NICS background check. If a 50+ year old has been drawing disability for mental health issues and living with his mother for his entire adult life, there should be some flags raised somewhere.

I'm late to the party here, since work has sent me to the thriving metropolis of Des Moines, Iowa, but Indiana is one of the states where mental health orders are reported to NICS. However, they have to be the qualifying mental health orders, so a regular commitment (either up to 90 days, or indefinite) counts, but not the short-term commitment for assessment (e.g. emergency detention). The NICS Improvements Amendment Acts were "adopted" by Indiana, making us one of the reporting states. This was as a response to the Virginia Tech shooter, who should have been a prohibited person, but his involuntary commitment was not reported to NICS.

Top Bottom