• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    There is a new shooting range that needs public support to become a reality.
    The Cheek's family (Plainfield Shooting Supply) has purchased and begun development on a state of the art shooting range a few miles west of Greencastle IN. This range will be more of a "Shooting Resort" than just a place to shoot! The plan calls for multiple pistol bays, shotgun area, fishing lake, and rifle ranges out to four or five hundred yards. Basic gun courses will be offered along with defense and sport shooting training available. Woman will be offered the opportunity to receive any degree of schooling they need, taught by woman. As the grounds develop, RV hookups and cabins could be the future.
    The Putnam County Zoning board has refused to grant the proper zoning variance needed to bring this facility to fruition. The Putnam County Board of Commissioners is meeting on or about February 7th. The Board members can overturn the Zoning Boards decision and therefore allow this facility to become a reality.
    Please contact each board member and respectfully encourage them to allow this facility to progress as planned. As gun owners, hunters, and supporters, we need more places to enjoy our sport and tune our skills.
    The Board of Commissioners’ addresses and e-mails

Kristina Warren
    5875 S CR 625 W
    Reelsville, IN 46171

mailto:kristina_m_warren@yahoo.com

Nancy Fogle
    833 Gardenside Dr.
    Greencastle, IN 46135

mailto:nancyfogle@cinergymetro.net

Gene Beck
    7157 N Co Rd 500 E
    Bainbridge, IN 46105

mailto:beckpow@ccrtc.com

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Any idea as to why the Zoning Board is passing on an unfavorable recommendation? I see these a lot and if you can discredit the unfavorable recommendation you'll have the best shot at getting the commissioners to go against the zoning board.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    zoning just means you dont own what you just bought... just a way for a man to use another mans land for free...

these lib commissioners need to be threatened by ILA saying theyll be called out as anti gun...

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    You have A LOT of work to do before the meeting. I might consider tabeling it to another date.
    You have to get your ducks in a row.
    1. Guage the economic impact of the range. number of people from the immediate area. Number of people from outside the area. Average amount spent at the facility. Amount expected to be spent outside the facility in the community.
    2. Surrounding area affected by the facility (good and bad).
    3. You need to contact all surrounding property owners and get them to sign off on it in advance (give them free memberships!).
    4. You need to contact he commission member individually and personally and discuss the project and get them to give you an ok in advance. In this way you can find out the problems and address them before the meeting.
    etc. etc. etc. PM me if you want more advice such as a petition, etc.
    A lot of work to do.

Last edited:

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Also a head's up.
    Here are some issues that are coming up concerning outdoor ranges and clubs.
    1. Sound.
    2. Bullets escaping the range area. Installing a baffle system would help a lot. See the NRA range handbook for designs.
    3. Backstops - EPA is making noise about the accumulation of lead in earthen backstops. Lead leaching into the soil (I am not sure I am buying that but it doesn't matter). Metal backstops to collect bullets and also prevent richotets would help.
    4. Sufficient liability insurance and security of any ammunition and firearms on premises.

You are going to have a tough time if there are any significant population areas within 5 miles of the proposed facility unless you can insure no bullets are going to escape the area.

I love the project as described. Sounds awesome. I hope that you can overcome the issues that is why I am posting this advice. It's a long shot but see if you can get the DNR involved and maybe you can get some of the Robertson/Pittman grant money from the NRA to help with development costs.

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Isn't the core issue the requirement for a zoning variance? My understanding is that the property is not currently zoned to allow a public range.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    When a person seeks a variance they go before the Zoning Board. The Zoning Board makes either a favorable or an unfavorable recommendation to the Board of Commissioners. Then the person goes before the Board of Commissioners and the Commissioners vote on whether or not to grant the variance.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I just went through this whole process with the city of south bend. I did all the contacts before hand. Some members of the board of zoning appeals also sit on the common councel. Although the property was zoned GI general industrial the building commiss. wanted me to get a special use variance so the use could not be challanged later.
    The request sailed through the board of zoning appeals with a unanimous favorable vote. Several members even spent 45 minutes after the meeting discussing the project with me. Two months later it went before the common council committee and passed with a unanimous favorable vote and then before the common council that night also with a unanimous favorable vote.
    I met with each one before hand and all neighbors, etc. etc. The members even brought my information packets with them to the meetings.

All I am saying is the meeting is not the place to debate any issues. Those need to be addressed before the meeting with each individual member and the neighbors. Each member may have a different concern.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I know here in Morgan County they petition 2 properties deep from the property being rezoned...ie the next property on the boundry and then the next property too.

Well, good luck. I will try and do my part to help out Bob & Deb and hopefully to get a facility like this in Indiana. Being out of the County, I will let them know how much revenue this could bring to them.... taxes, food, gas purchased etc.....

Last time I talked to Bob about it, the NRA reps were in town and visiting the site... that was a few months ago IIRC?

YukYuPhat

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    There is a new shooting range that needs public support to become a reality.
    The Cheek's family (Plainfield Shooting Supply) has purchased and begun development on a state of the art shooting range a few miles west of Greencastle IN. This range will be more of a "Shooting Resort" than just a place to shoot! The plan calls for multiple pistol bays, shotgun area, fishing lake, and rifle ranges out to four or five hundred yards. Basic gun courses will be offered along with defense and sport shooting training available. Woman will be offered the opportunity to receive any degree of schooling they need, taught by woman. As the grounds develop, RV hookups and cabins could be the future.
    The Putnam County Zoning board has refused to grant the proper zoning variance needed to bring this facility to fruition. The Putnam County Board of Commissioners is meeting on or about February 7th. The Board members can overturn the Zoning Boards decision and therefore allow this facility to become a reality.
    Please contact each board member and respectfully encourage them to allow this facility to progress as planned. As gun owners, hunters, and supporters, we need more places to enjoy our sport and tune our skills.
    The Board of Commissioners’ addresses and e-mails

Kristina Warren
    5875 S CR 625 W
    Reelsville, IN 46171

mailto:kristina_m_warren@yahoo.com

Nancy Fogle
    833 Gardenside Dr.
    Greencastle, IN 46135

mailto:nancyfogle@cinergymetro.net

Gene Beck
    7157 N Co Rd 500 E
    Bainbridge, IN 46105

mailto:beckpow@ccrtc.com

I just moved to Greencastle and would love to help, hands on if needed.

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Hey guys. Thanks for the input but this isn't a last minute proposition. Attorneys, NRA, water testing, sound testing, Army range experts.The homework has been done. What's needed is people contacting the county board.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I think I was the first to send a letter from your post. I cited the necessity of economic growth and job creation.

It would be helpful if you answered the question, however, as to why the variance was denied? I think several people have asked.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Hey guys. Thanks for the input but this isn't a last minute proposition. Attorneys, NRA, water testing, sound testing, Army range experts.The homework has been done. What's needed is people contacting the county board.

Has someone sat down face to face with each of your commissioners? Better yet has someone sat down face to face with someone that each commissioner will listen to?

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Again, this isn't ME! I have no dog in the fight other than wanting this range to exist. I'm only trying to get the word out.
    With all due respect to those who offer suggestions, this isn't the time to question what has or hasn't been done. Everything done to this point has been done professionally at great expense to the Cheek family. What this needs is PUBLIC SUPPORT! Please write the letters.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Again, this isn't ME! I have no dog in the fight other than wanting this range to exist. I'm only trying to get the word out.
    With all due respect to those who offer suggestions, this isn't the time to question what has or hasn't been done. Everything done to this point has been done professionally at great expense to the Cheek family. What this needs is PUBLIC SUPPORT! Please write the letters.

I guess since informations is not forthcoming, I should have waited before writing a letter of support. You have considerable resources here. Just because someone has had things done professionally does not necessarily meant that they were done correctly.

You asked for help but refuse to provide any information. For instance, were they denied because they are convicted felons? Is the range next door to an elementary school? I guess that I should not have written a letter without verifying these things.

Fortunately, my letter only stressed the ability of this type of endeavor to bring jobs and money to the community.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    If the members of the zoning board buy into any of the public hysteria being spouted in the local newspaper comment boards, this is doomed. As I understand it, the land is zoned agricultural and it's OUT THERE. In order to run a business, they either need a variance or a zoning change to "Commercial"

Concerns about water quality, stray bullets, noise pollution, and upsetting prize hogs have been voiced. Several quotes have been given, including one by a former IPD officer that were along the lines of "this isn't the wild west - if i wanted to hear gunfire I would've stayed in Indianapolis". I can't find the article right now - but it's out there.

Nevermind the fact that the Cheeks are in no way prohibited from shooting firearms on the property and either currently live or intend to move to the property. With Deb being such a competitive shooter I would be surprised if she's out there running guns several hours a day.

This is a case of NIMBY to the extreme.

Last edited:

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    I guess since informations is not forthcoming, I should have waited before writing a letter of support. You have considerable resources here. Just because someone has had things done professionally does not necessarily meant that they were done correctly.

You asked for help but refuse to provide any information. For instance, were they denied because they are convicted felons? Is the range next door to an elementary school? I guess that I should not have written a letter without verifying these things.

Fortunately, my letter only stressed the ability of this type of endeavor to bring jobs and money to the community.

OK. I didn't start this because I'm intimately familiar with every detail of the negotiations. I am not refusing to offer information and I won't supply erroneous information.
    What I do know is I have supplied enough information that anyone reading through my initial post, and the responses I have made to questions, would realize who the folks developing this plan are and the efforts they have extended to do this properly. That being said, I think it's safe to assume that the owners of a twenty or so year old, successful gun shop here in Indiana are not felons. I would also assume they are smart enough not to buy property next to a school, or in downtown Greencastle , to develop a shooting range. I do know that getting NRA approval for a propose range is not an easy thing to do. The NRA is very picky about giving any shooting facility their approval. I do know plans are in place to protect the water shed from lead contamination. I do know extensive sound testing has been done. I do believe the U.S. Army has approved, and assisted in the planning of this facility, because the National Guard is considering using it! I do know that anyone interested in a place to shoot can, and should, check the facts if they are afraid of doing so on my word alone. I do know that I'm done with it. I'll write the board members and hope enough shooting enthusiasts do the same. All I want is another place to shoot.
    Thanks to all those that want to see the shooting community grow.
    Regards

Top Bottom