Weapon type for dedicated home protection?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • qb1sho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    McCordsville, IN
    I am definitely and amateur when it comes to firearms and would like to get opinions from others more experienced than me. I am definitely going to take some classes this spring/summer/fall but until then, I am looking to do some research and get some feedback. I have shot many weapons but am not an expert with them by any stretch! I have never been in a "protect" situation with a firearm so that may help when you answer this question as stress would obviously be a factor.

I am looking to get a dedicated home protection weapon and was wondering what the best option would be for this. Would I be looking for a long gun of some type or a hand gun? I have 2 small children so I would want something that I could keep ready for action but not easy to just pick up and fire. Obviously keeping a lock on a home defense weapon would defeat the purpose as who would have time to find the key to unlock it and get it ready to fire.

This bring up another good question. Where would you keep this weapon? Under a mattress?:dunno: Somewhere easy enough to get to (if you know where it is) but not sitting by the front door? Suggestions?

I am struggling with these questions when trying to find the best gun for this unfortunate occasion.

Thanks for your opinions!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You've done opened up a big ol' slimy can of worms, OP! :-)

You'll have half the folks advocating a handgun (thus can begin the caliber wars...)

Half the folks advocating a shotgun (thus can begin caliber wars)

And yet another half of people advocating a rifle (so yet more caliber wars can be had)

Yet know what? They can ALL be quite effective when you understand the pros and cons of each.

Weapon security, too, will open up for tons of comments. With kids around (My daughter turns 1 on Wednesday) it really is a whole other ball game. I'm figuring that one out for myself right now, actually.

My opinion on the HD weapon: What matters most is that A) you have SOMETHING, and that B) you know it's pros and cons.

Oh, yeah, and get some training!

-J-

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Well said Indy_guy_77

Another to think of ,with kids around or with Neighbors close by ,

Somthing big enuff to take out a Bad Guy , But not so big it Over penetrates and goes through walls , No need to shoot the kids or the Neighbors .

As indy said Education and training is key

Good Luck

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would say the best is whatever you will use often and train with. Some may say a shotgun is the best, but it's only a club if you don't practice to the point of becoming comfortable with it and relatively proficient. A .22 that you can use when under stress is better than a shotgun that you can't recall the location of the safety.

savage308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    Well there are many good options for a home defense weapon.

Shotgun Pro's: Massive fear factor, great stopping power, loaded with the right shot (#4) it will lose it terminal velocity quickly after striking your target or if you miss it will slow down significantly after traveling through two layers of drywall. Les likely to injure another person in another room or the next house over. Cons: big and not the best option for tight areas.

AR platform Pro's: Can be smaller than shotgun, decent in tight areas, and the 5.56 round has good stopping power. put multiple rounds on target quickly. Loaded with a hollow point or frangible round it will break apart pretty good and limits the effect of a miss. You can put a sick amount of add-ons on the gun to help with aiming and lighting up/blinding your target. Cons: loaded with an fmj or steal core it may travel to the next house and strike a bystander if you miss the target.

Now we get to the big debate, revolver vs auto loader, and what caliber.
    I am a big fan of revolvers simply becasue of the saying they always go bang and iff not just pull the trigger again to get to the next round. I have auto loaders and can honestly say I have never had a jam. So take it for what it is worth. But in a stressful situation you want to be able to have the simplest option available. Your brain will be in overload and the less you have to think about the better off you will be. Auto loaders carry more rounds so that is a bonus, reloading is quicker with an auto also. Unless you really practice with a speedd loader for a revolver you will be quicker with an auto. Plus with auto's the generally have a rail you can mount a light to.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I normally have a handgun with me most of the time at home but also have a Remington 870 Police gun near the bed and a Colt Carbine within reach of that. I call it my 3 tiers of defense. There are many factors to consider when trying to decide what would work best for you. Some things you might want to think about would be type of dwelling you live in, location of family members, proximity of neighbors, response time of police/help, etc, etc. Once you consider those factors you can start to narrow your choice of weapons down. Whatever you decide on though make sure you train with it and become proficient in it's use. Have a defense plan for different scenarios at home and try to be vigilant at all times. :twocents:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I think Indy_Guy gave you very good advice. Your best self-defense firearm is going to be the one you are intimately familiar with and 100% capable of operating because you've trained with it for long hours in all kinds of conditions. But reality sometimes intrudes on your ability to put that kind of time and money into such things so I'm going to be bold and state that even though it is my least favorite type of weapon, a shotgun, of appropriate gauge, preferably pump cycled, is the most effective home defense weapon for the average homeowner. It is menacing, it is intuitive to aim, the sound of pumping the action is unmistakeable to an intruder, practice ammunition is relatively inexpensive, and there are less things to remember under stress when bringing it into action. There are many aftermarket options for securing shotguns at your bedside, but I agree that if I had kids I'd be concerned about the best way to keep any HD firearm ready for use, but safe.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I personally have a 1911 .45 that i place on my night stand at night. or on the end table next to my couch while im watching TV. When Im not home, it lives in its box put away from eye sight. (once i get my LTCH it will stay with me when i leave)

At night, i lock the door that is at the top of my stairs so if some one wants up stairs the breaking the door will wake me up and I will know its 'go time'

during the day, my couch faces the front door so if it opens I can grab my gun and go from there.

YMMW, my house is set up in a great way for home defense, lots of choke points for my advantage. I find that wielding a hand gun is much easier than wielding a shotgun or rifle. Granted i don't have any kids running around my house so i don't have to worry about it as much. but instead of leaving the gun on a table during the day perhaps keep it on your hip. Also, as many may agree on here, Its never too early to teach gun safety.

Cheers

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I agree with Indy Guy. Depending on who you ask you will get a different answer....because there are some many good options...like Que. said get what you will train with. As far as the safety piece with kids...as quick access safe like "gunvanult" and a handgun could be a good option for you that still allows you to get to gun fairly quick but its still secured. I personally prefer it to be sitting there 100% ready to go but I also don't have children. Its important that whatever you pick to look at ammo options as well. You want to get a load that's least likely to punch through a walk into the kids room. Good luck with your decision.

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    I had this same dilemma a few months back.

After listening to other INGOers and doing my own homework, I decided a handgun would be best for me. A shotgun is great if you have a hallway to protect, but what if you awake in the middle of the night and hear something in the other room? A shotgun can be grabbed as you go around a corner as it sticks out quite a bit. A handgun can be kept close to your body and will be easier to "clear" your house and ensure the safety of your loved ones.

I have kids as well. I have a shotgun, but it's too difficult to get it out of the closet, load it with the shells that are kept out of reach from the kids, etc. in a hurry.

I ended up getting a S&W SW40VE for my protection. Got it for $285 new at the FW Gun Show. I keep it on me at all times. Anyone can carry a firearm, but you MUST shoot it and get familiar with it. Training is always a big help also and shouldn't be overlooked. Obviously I couldn't afford the gun I really wanted, but I'll be saving money for that....

The main thing is that you have a means to protect the ones you love. Have a plan for a home intrusion and go over this plan and practice it with your family. Also be aware of what areas of the house you want to refrain from shooting at if rounds would happen to penetrate a wall.

qb1sho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    McCordsville, IN
    Thank you all so much for your thoughts! I definitely want to do this the right way! I really hope it never comes down to having to use it, but I want to keep my familt safe at all costs!

It looks like selecting the right type of weapon for ME is important. Something that I can buy, afford to practice with, and be comfortable shooting. Almost to the point of habit leaving less room for error when under stress.

After selecting the weapon I am most comfortable with, training and practice would be most beneficial and have the greatest upside.

Now when deciding on a weapon type (rifle, shotgun, handgun), I definitely want to choose something that I feel comfortable with leaving at my home when my children and wife are there when I am not. Something I dont think they can pick up and fire with ease. Definitely nothing in the chamber as hoping they cant figure out the safety IMO would not be safe enough. However, I dont think my under 5 year old girls would be able to pull back the slide on a semi-auto handgun due to the strength it takes. When they physically are able to pull back the slide, then it might be time to take them to the range to practice with me! I have always taught my oldest not to touch the weapons I do have but we also teach them other things they ignore! My youngest is just now crawling so I have a few more years there! I have no problem teaching the gun safety...but even with that, peace of mind is worth a bunch.

This is probably the most difficult decision I have made regarding weapons! If it is just for me to carry/use, I think...if I get this, and dont like it...I will just get another! I know I am slways safe with weapons and know hoe to handle them, but they are always with me OR locked up where safety isnt an issue!

Again, I thank you all for your input and look forward to reading more opinions! I definitely dont want to start a this vs. that arguement because I truely do think this is an opinion! With that being said, I think that when you listen to people opinions and recommendations, it does help to come to an educated decision based on your needs. :D

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Personally, I keep a handgun beside me 24/7 with a spare mag close by. Enough to get me to my safe if need be. A shotgun would what I would grab next if it came to it.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Thank you all so much for your thoughts! I definitely want to do this the right way! I really hope it never comes down to having to use it, but I want to keep my familt safe at all costs!

It looks like selecting the right type of weapon for ME is important. Something that I can buy, afford to practice with, and be comfortable shooting. Almost to the point of habit leaving less room for error when under stress.

After selecting the weapon I am most comfortable with, training and practice would be most beneficial and have the greatest upside.

Now when deciding on a weapon type (rifle, shotgun, handgun), I definitely want to choose something that I feel comfortable with leaving at my home when my children and wife are there when I am not. Something I dont think they can pick up and fire with ease. Definitely nothing in the chamber as hoping they cant figure out the safety IMO would not be safe enough. However, I dont think my under 5 year old girls would be able to pull back the slide on a semi-auto handgun due to the strength it takes. When they physically are able to pull back the slide, then it might be time to take them to the range to practice with me! I have always taught my oldest not to touch the weapons I do have but we also teach them other things they ignore! My youngest is just now crawling so I have a few more years there! I have no problem teaching the gun safety...but even with that, peace of mind is worth a bunch.

This is probably the most difficult decision I have made regarding weapons! If it is just for me to carry/use, I think...if I get this, and dont like it...I will just get another! I know I am slways safe with weapons and know hoe to handle them, but they are always with me OR locked up where safety isnt an issue!

Again, I thank you all for your input and look forward to reading more opinions! I definitely dont want to start a this vs. that arguement because I truely do think this is an opinion! With that being said, I think that when you listen to people opinions and recommendations, it does help to come to an educated decision based on your needs. :D

Why not get your LTCH and keep it with you?

Scratcher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    In a house
    I have a Remy 870 (18' barrel) loaded and hidden in the basement. One loaded handgun (Wifes Colt 32)hidden in the den, and a 20 guage shotgun and Sig 2022 hidden in the bedroom but within easy reach. I also carry my Sig 226 constantly.

I spend a lot of my daytime in my room in the basement so If I hear anything upstairs that isn't normal I have the Remy with my sidearm as backup to go upstairs with. My wife knows where all the guns are so she can get to any one of 3 upstairs and knows that I will be on my way up with a primary and secondary backup weapon.

qb1sho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    McCordsville, IN
    Why not get your LTCH and keep it with you?

I did just get my LTCH so I do have this ability. I am not actively carrying yet because I do feel I need to practice and train more before putting the public at risk. I feel if I carry right now with the little amount of education and practive I have, I would probably make a bad situation worse! I am just looking for an option to keep bedside or in a hidden spot as others have mentioned. My wife is all for taking some training classes with me but doesnt want to carry. A weapon I could leave at home (something we both would be proficient with) would also give her the ability to grab it if needed when I am not home.
    Although, her with a gun and mad at me is a scary thought! :ar15:

qb1sho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    McCordsville, IN
    suppressed ar15.

It is a dream of mine to own a suppressed AR15! I read through the process for making this happen and it is a little intimidating to say the least!

Bring up another quesiton I had (wow....hijacking my own thread!)! I was looking at the Colt 6921 and was wondering if those were legal to own in Indiana (without any special paperwork)? I beleive it has the 14.5" barrel and think I remember reading there are limitations on the length of the barrel in some states?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    With young kids I really suggest getting a lock box or lock of some type. Hoping the kid can't figure out/is not strong enough to chamber a round is pretty dicey. Remember, it's not just your kids either, but any neighbor kid, family kid or random street urchin that happens to be in the house.

I read too many horror stories about some kid showing his cousin dad's gun that dad keeps under the mattress. When your kids get old enough, teach them firearm use and safety.

That said, if I were in your situation, I would strongly consider a defensive handgun and gun vault.

Top Bottom