Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I work out of a home office, so my policy allows all workers to carry. :D

This is the wall next to my desk:
    046199105fef94c6a5340c2caf59cd67_zps61e951bb.jpg

that is awesome... however I'd like to point out that your border clashes terribly with your AK! :D

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I carry every day at work. I try my best to conceal but I move around so much, lifting, etc. I'm sure it's been seen, and it's such a small office I'm sure word spread quickly. I asked the owner if he'd received any complaints about it, and he said, "No, and at this point I really don't give a sh*t if they do." It's prompted several others to look into getting their carry licenses. Pretty awesome place to be.

so umm does your company need any IT folk? :)

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    I'm fortunate, where I work carry is OK. In my part of the business, 6 of us work together(men) , four of us carry. Bringing a gun to work is no big deal.The girls in the office, I know at least one carries. It's in downtown Indy, and with what is going on there, a gun is your best friend.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Thank you God !

I love working in an Armored Truck ! LOL !!

The company has my serial number and if I am disarmed because of a felonious assault, they will replace it.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    We aren't allowed to even have metal butter knives at work. Doesn't stop me from having a pocket knife. If they want to search me some day fine, fire me, I don't give a damn. I'm not going to go on a rampage and stab 100 people in the office, if they think I am they are nuts and I don't want to work for them.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Its all about work place safety and they dont want you to get hurt right? Or is it a liability for them if you carry a gun and thats why your not suppossed to have one. Where i work its the same way. I here that the owner of the company has armed body guards with him at all time and we the employees just had to watch a work place violence video where they tell us to hide under a desk if a gunman comes in and starts shooting. What a joke right. Like others have said is your job worth your life? No.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Sad fact, it's a sign of the times...

Late '80s early '90s the small machine shops that I worked in allowed us to lock up our pistols in our tool boxes, safer than in our vehicles in a bad area. We locked the boxes and never had a problem.

A large co. that I worked for afterwards had a policy similar to the OP and was HQ'd in Chicago so you can imagine .... Now I work for a British owned Co. and I'm sure it chaffes them terribly that they had to amend their policy to allow weapons in our vehicles per IN state law.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Gotta be real careful about citing IN 34-28-7-2.

It goes on to say:
    (b) Subsection (a) does not prohibit the adoption or enforcement of an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition:
    (1) in or on school property, in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function, or on a school bus in violation of IC 20-33-8-16 or IC 35-47-9-2;
    (2) on the property of:
    (A) a child caring institution;
    (B) an emergency shelter care child caring institution;
    (C) a private secure facility;
    (D) a group home;
    (E) an emergency shelter care group home; or
    (F) a child care center;
    in violation of 465 IAC 2-9-80, 465 IAC 2-10-79, 465 IAC 2-11-80, 465 IAC 2-12-78, 465 IAC 2-13-77, or 470 IAC 3-4.7-19;
    (3) on the property of a penal facility (as defined in IC 35-31.5-2-232);
    (4) in violation of federal law;
    (5) in or on property belonging to an approved postsecondary educational institution (as defined in IC 21-7-13-6(b));
    (6) on the property of a domestic violence shelter;
    (7) at a person's residence;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (8) on the property of a person that is:
    (A) subject to the United States Department of Homeland Security's Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards issued April 9, 2007; and
    (B) licensed by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission under Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations;
    (9) on property owned by:
    (A) a public utility (as defined in IC 8-1-2-1) that generates and transmits electric power; or
    (B) a department of public utilities created under IC 8-1-11.1; or
    (10) in the employee's personal vehicle if the employee, including a contract employee, is a direct support professional who:
    (A) works directly with individuals with developmental disabilities to assist the individuals to become integrated into the individuals' community or least restrictive environment; and
    (B) uses the employee's personal vehicle while transporting an individual with developmental disabilities.

2C - a private secure facility. This will get you in trouble. Work at a place with a security guard and a fence and you've got no legal ground to stand on. Work at a hospital or medical imaging facility? Chances are they are licensed under title 10 by the USNRC.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Normal corporate liability. My company handbook just says no weapons. Vague for a reason and that is liability and accountability. OP buy yourself a small safe for your car. I would put together a small emergency bag for the car. Carry a TSA approved knife for opening boxes and such. Invest in a good SureFire flashlight and practice good situational awareness.

If I drive my personal truck to work I have a pistol locked in a small safe. If I drive the company truck I do not have a gun with me. I have stopped at the gun store while driving the company truck and have even taken customers sporting clays shooting. Not a big deal and most would agree not what is being referenced by the no weapons policy. All of us even carry knives, customers get knives as gifts. Knives are tools in this sense not weapons.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I worked for the sporting arms division of Americase while in Texas. We had no problem with firearms. A large portion of our business was custom made high end cases for unique and very expensive firearms. I did a lot of the design work for custom firearm cases. We often joked that if a couple guys with machine guns walked into the office one of us would simply pick up a tape measure and a design pad and another would pick up an order and pricing book. My next job was teaching evening classes at a local Junior College. We were not even permitted to have letter openers with a pointed end. Big contrast.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    I really love where I work. I carry, along with numerous other people. We have "show-and-tell" numerous times thruout the year when someone else purchases something neat. I have carried in the Kentucky Capitol building, the Capitol annex where the legislators offices are located. I have carried into the Governors residence, and in his private office. We have no restrictions on carrying at work at all. Oh and I am NOT involved in any form of law enforcement, just a lowly network engineer.

Gunner

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'm glad I don't work for a company any more! When I worked the company I worked for had HR come around to each department and inform us that "carrying firearms on company property was not allowed. We were allowed to have a gun in our vehicle." Didn't stop me from carrying a Colt Officers .45 ACP in an ankle holster. I could always have found another job but another life in this world, no way! Sometime after I retired they installed electric locks on each departments doors and installed a set of trap doors at the main entrance. Today all of the department doors are open as it was a pain in the but for people to get around in the office.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My employer has a fairly terrible weapons policy as well.

The Company prohibits all persons who enter Company property from carrying a handgun, firearm, knife, or other prohibited weapon of any kind regardless of whether the person is licensed to carry the weapon or not.

The only exception to this policy will be law enforcement officers, security guards or other persons who have received written consent from the most senior member of Human Resources to carry a weapon on the property.

And from the section on workplace violence:
    Examples of prohibited conduct.....
    <snip>
    Being in possession, on company property, including but not limited to parking lots, of any kind of firearm, weapon, or explosive device or substance, .....

So, they are in violation of Indiana's "parking lot law". I've mentioned it, but no one really cares (corp headquarters is in DC). Thus far neither they nor I have chosen to make a bigger issue of it.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    At-will-employment...

Remember what the unemployment line looks like when decide to stick up for your rights and values. It's ****ty, but they have you by the balls. My work is the same way.

But hey, they can't do crap about you having one in your car and that is better than nothing. Keep it in your car and keep your mouth shut.

Call the attorney general's office they can help you.

Top Bottom