• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Like the guys are saying, it really does depend on the purpose of having the light. However, if you are looking for a light for defense purposes etc. While there are a lot of options out there I would say check out Elzetta and Surefire. Those are my two brands of choice. Both have a little higher price than some brands but they are also great quality.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I second Surefire. Olight is great if you're on a tight budget.

Still trying to figure out scope + light. Why? If you tell me you have a laser, foregrip, and a bipod, I will reach through this screen and slap you.

bloodman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    in your nightmares
    I second Surefire. Olight is great if you're on a tight budget.

Still trying to figure out scope + light. Why? If you tell me you have a laser, foregrip, and a bipod, I will reach through this screen and slap you.

this setup is for protection at night while camping. the camp site is not in IN. and is off the beaten trail. As for the light + scope I was wondering with a good light will I be able to see the cross hairs of the scope, and no foregrip no bipod and no laser.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    At that range it will barely matter if you can see the crosshairs well. Especially if you have a front site post. You will need an illuminated reticle to best accomplish what you are talking about. Don't count out irons and a light, but a red dot is still your best option here I'd say.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    At night it'll depend on what the target is wearing. Bright colors and you'll be able to see the cross hairs. Dark colors and even the best lights won't show the cross hairs at 50+ yards. An illuminated reticle would help but at 25-50 yards, why use a scope?

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I'll also jump on the bandwagon to say go with a red dot. Much faster for anything that sneaks up on the campsite. As far as lights, you can go wrong with Streamlight, Surefire, or Inforce. I have the Inforce WML on my carbine.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Surefire Fury with a Magpul mount. Works well at 500 lumens and won't rip your wallet off your ass. Get it thru BCM as the Fury is on sale for $93.

Bob

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I love my Inforce WMLx on the Magpul Scout Mount. Great setup if you have a Magpul handguard. If not, there are offset light mounts for rails or keymod handguards that accommodate the WMLx. It is bright and has great throw, especially for it's price point.

I realize that you weren't asking opinions on your optics, but I'm gonna go ahead and jump on the bandwagon in case you're a new shooter. If you aren't, ignore me, you know why you chose what you did. If the rifle is primarily for the use you described in post #6, I'm also going to advise getting a red dot sight. If it's a multi-use gun, run whatever you feel you need.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I just picked up one of the new versions of the Streamlight Polytac LED HP lights. It's a completely different quality than my previous version, non-HP, LED Polytacs. It feels and works like a much better light, has 275 lumens (130 previously), has different modes (with the ability to set one output or set to cycle) and is a good thrower with enough light to do up close work without being overbearing.

The best part is they only run $40 and fit in a 1" mount. I run an IWC SMC mount on one rifle and will probably be running an Olight offset mount on the shotgun.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    i have a klarus xt11 that i mount on my ar and sometimes just squeeze it with my forward hand when i have to run out and pop a raccoon. I have never had a problem seeing the crosshairs at night within 75-100 yards on a 3-9

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Kind of topic but still about vision in the dark... anyone have experience with the low powered night vision flip up magnifiers that you'd use with something like a vortex strikefire? I've seen some of them for not much more then many flashlights.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Strearmlight TLR works well and does not break the bank. Ditch the scope for red dot or save money but using irons only.

Are you talking about the primarily pistol-mounted light (tlr-1)? I saw a guy from another agency running one on an AR, and I started to laugh, and then I was like "hey, why wouldn't that work?"

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Are you talking about the primarily pistol-mounted light (tlr-1)? I saw a guy from another agency running one on an AR, and I started to laugh, and then I was like "hey, why wouldn't that work?"

People use the TLR all the time on their rifles and shotguns. It fits well on a handgun, but also works just as well on a long gun.

Top Bottom