• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I try to stay on top of weather forecasts, and warnings usually don't go unheeded. This last Sunday caught me a bit behind the curve, and I was doing the S&P Shuffle to double check the items. As I checked the lanterns, and flashlights, found a couple with flat batteries. Changed and up to specs,

I remembered that my son had transported my last 2 cases of bottled water back to his room on campus 2 weeks ago. We were without. Rather than face the EF wind factors starting to build, I did a quick gather, and found that over the years, I own 7 Army style canteens/ with covers. Quick washed, rinsed, rinsed, and filled to capacity. Not quite as much as I usually keep, but in a power failure scenario, will keep three for 24hrs. We also have canned goods, gas grill, coolers, and basic sleeping bags/ gear, if temps plummet with no heat.

Cell phones charged, removed all potential backyard missles, and readied loose chairs in the garage. The sky was turning into a swirling mess of clouds, the low and dark kind. Wifey says" Oh, I have a haircut in 45 minutes". My answer was to reschedule, no luck. Before she left, I tossed my BOB pack in the truck, said call me, and she made the appointment.

Storms land, extreme wind, rain, power tripped on and off 4 times. At 12:30 pm, it now looke like 9:00 pm. Dark. After about a full hour and a half, it slows down to a crawl, and see the sun shining. Wifey calls, she stayed at the hairdressers place and had brought my Alice pack in. They surveyed my gear, and used the crank radio as she lost power for over 5 hours. My BOB has the 10 C's often discussed, and they snacked on my choc chip breakfast bars.
    Hairdresser wants to build up a similar set up, Wifey is helping by explaining the 10 C's.

No serious damage here at all, and besides the batteries, water, and breakfast bars, all went prepped. New prepper with the hairdresser, and going ASAP to restock the used items. Good to double check your gear. Almost too late this time.

Add on: The above was previously written before receiving a "Code Red" alert on my cell phone( N/C service frpm TWC, pretty informative). Since we had kicked up to condition Orange, also had battle stations manned and ready. I keep a couple of web pistol belts with canteens and med pouches, and one with flap holster, mag pouch, and Kabar knife on standby. From my view, there is no law enforcement on scene till after the facts.

While in the house, turned on a scanner, and it was non stop with fire tones, and sheriff dispatches about downed power lines. Obviously the worst hit would preclude the fastest required responders. What about the rest, and who would be around if you are on the minor damage list? That's right, time to sink or swim!
    This translates to impaired travel for all.

If the "bug out" would occur, where do you go? Considered the "crawlspace hide", but feared a collapse and being buried by debris. Truly dicey!

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    It is never fun to get up to ready in a hurry. Unfortunately I had to drive through the storm front on I-65 just south of Seymour. It was dicey for a few minutes but I got through.

You did well sir. Review and revise plan and you'll be good to go.

Top Bottom