• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Indy
    When you have a channel devoted to weather you have to sensationalize it to make it more interesting. Like naming winter storms and saying things like "200 million people will be affected by winter storm Erica."

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hey Churchmouse. What was it like before we had tv weathermen and you pretty much had to wake up, look outside and make an educated guess based on the season?

This heat index crap is out of control. Even the race track canceled our race this Saturday because of the "dangerous extreme heat". Well crap its not like we are racing 500 miles...we freakin drag race I mean we are only in the car for a short period of time what's the problem. So now I will find something else to do this weekend and go race nect week if it's not too hot...in late July lol

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think maybe more people working office jobs and going home to AC all night has made many more susceptible to weather fluctuations
    Dad was miserable last Saturday by noon and it was only lime 85* at the time. I wasn't even sweating hard yet

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think maybe more people working office jobs and going home to AC all night has made many more susceptible to weather fluctuations
    Dad was miserable last Saturday by noon and it was only lime 85* at the time. I wasn't even sweating hard yet

I work in an office, but also work from home a lot. Pretty much from late April/early May thru late October/early November I'm out on the deck. If it's hot I have fans. If it's chilly, I have a table top propane heater. Of course the house is air conditioned (and heated), and it feels good when I go in, but if I can be outside, I'm outside.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Where are you getting your weather? TV? Google still tells me the temp when I ask. Also I think I'd prefer to know what it feels like than the actual temp, wind chill is a *****.
    The wife had it on in the background and I noticed that the reported temperatures were higher than what I'd seen from my phone. Then I realized that they were using the head index for their listed high temperatures.

They give both and it is helpful and informative. It's been reported this way as long as I can remember, including in my grade school days when the scare was global cooling. My job often has me outside for long periods in dress clothes. I appreciate the additional information.
    Yes, they've always given both, but always showed the ambient as the high and now temp. This is also used for record keeping but now that they are showing the heat index as the high temp people will compare to previous years and think that it's suddenly gotten hotter.

"Feels like" temps are nonsense.

Fabricated concepts so that TV stations can sensationalize EVERYTHING including standard summer weather.

Give me the expected temp and dew point. I'll take it from there.
    :+1:

I am old and can still remember the actual temperature being over 100* several times right here in Indiana. So the 90's don't seem as outlandish as it seems to be for people on TV.
    :+1:

I assume you feel the same way about windchill? Just give you the temperature and wind speed?
    Yep. Again, by not using the ambient temp as the low point in reports the average person will simply think that the weather is colder than previous years. All makes for good ratings and a push for "global climate change" though.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    After about 85F it's just hot. Hot feels the same whether it's 89 or 100. Wear a hat, drink some water, enjoy the outdoors.

If the weather was really dangerous, wouldn't all kinds of animals be dropping dead?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    After about 85F it's just hot. Hot feels the same whether it's 89 or 100. Wear a hat, drink some water, enjoy the outdoors.

If the weather was really dangerous, wouldn't all kinds of animals be dropping dead?

Well they do live in it 24/7 whereas we as a country continue to get fatter and lazier so it will affect the human animal more, at least in this overweight country. In spite of my extra 30 I'd still rather be outside in it; I may be napping on the deck but hey, I'm outside!:rockwoot:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    These are the same people who changed the "wind chill index" so that the cold didn't seem so cold.

Love the heat, can lay out with a beer in hand and the radio blasting. Try that in January. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Ok, I am sure some will. :D :D :D :D

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    These are the same people who changed the "wind chill index" so that the cold didn't seem so cold.

Love the heat, can lay out with a beer in hand and the radio blasting. Try that in January. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Ok, I am sure some will. :D :D :D :D

It's called ice fishing.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    In summer, it's hot. In winter, it's cold. If cloudy in summer, it may rain. If cloudy in winter, it may snow.

We never had air conditioning until I was a teen, and then it was only in one room. We had a fan, we were hot, it was expected......we did not whine.

Top Bottom