• ...and so much more!
  • klaykillah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    New York
    Howdy Folks,
    I own a Weatherby SA-08 12 gage with the synthetic stock. I bought it new in March of this year and have been shooting skeet and trap weekly, every Wednesday two rounds of Skeet and a round of Trap. So, 75 shells every week, after each session I swab the barrel, lightly oil the reciever and wait for Wednesday to roll around again.
    Today, some guy joined my Skeet round and right off the bat started dissing my piece. He called it a low end kids gun!
    I have an after market Skeet Choke tube and I am shooting 11 to 15 out of 24 on the Skeet range and with the factory Full Choke I'm tagging 17 to 20 on the Trap range.
    My question is this,
    Should I be concerned about the amount of use I'm givinig my Weatherby? Like I said 75 rounds a week of 3 1/4 dram 1oz. #8 shot Estate brand ammo.
    Thanks.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Sounds like a "brand snob" to me.

Some folks will diss anything that they don't personally own.
    No rhyme or reason, just snobs.

Weatherby is a fine shotgun, and I have one of the SA-08's you speak of. I don't do clays, so I really don't know that end of it, but I'd hardly call the Weatherby name "low-end".

Maybe he's jealous.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I shoot an older Weatherby field grade O/U. It's not as fancy as a lot of the other guys shoot but it is very serviceable. Just lacks engraving and carving. I haven't had the pleasure of shooting a Weatherby SA-08 but it gets great reviews and should provide you with good service. Just keep practicing 'till you can out shoot the equipment snobs. I've seen them in every shooting sport.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    don't worry about that asshat, as far as use goes, I'm going to shoot my guns until they finally break, fix them if possible and repeat. Most firearms will last a lifetime with proper care.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The best thing you can do is practise untill you consistently beat him with your "kids gun " and then rub his nose in it.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    My youngest son and I used to shoot a lot of skeet. He either used a youth model 870 or my .410 o/u Citori. He shamed a lot of the swinging ****'s with their high end guns. The kid was 9 or 10 at the time.

It ain't the gun so much as the practice. It's always a good tradeoff: more ammo vs more engraving.

As to 'wear' on your long gun, cowboy shooters are using Winchester 97's made back in the early part of the 20th Century and putting thousands of rounds per year through them.

You ain't gonna hurt your gun.

klaykillah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    New York
    Thanks for the help! Before March I haven't shot in almost 30 years. One of the guys I've been shooting with has taken me under his wing and really has helped me alot, so much so that last Wednesday I went 4 for 4 on stations 1, 6 and 7 and 2 for 2 on station 8! Like y'all said "Practice is the key"

Last edited:

dean2182

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    New Albany
    Don't judge a shooter by the gun he carries. Ive seen shooters with $20,000 guns that
    shoot 10 out of 25 & dusty old men with old model 12's out shoot everybody. just enjoy

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    That is a fine firearm and should last a very long time with proper care. I shoot a Mossberg 500 at the Trap range and do quite well. I love my gun.

As far as Mr. Snob ass is concerned, forget him. Anyone that criticizes another's shotgun is revealing his own insecurity.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I used to clean up on the old retired Generals and Colonels shooting $25,000 Kreighoffs and Perazzis at the Davis-Monthan Air Base skeet range in Tucson. They weren't too happy that a young SSgt with a $200 Wal-Mart Remington 870 with a 18" IC choked slug barrel (rifle sights) was running 25,50,75,100 straight! It ain't the gun, it's the shooter!!!

Top Bottom