• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Now guess why we have a miniature horse.

"but the horse is free Dad!"

...and it was.

But then there is the stable I had to build, the horse trailer I bought (it's not that miniature), the pasture i fenced, the vet bills, the farrier.... I have thousands into that little sh.........manure​ machine.

But hey, this morning before work I planted 2 apple trees using composted manure (which I could have picked up for a few bucks a bag), so there's that.

Trust me, I feel your pain already and we've only got one horse which has never stepped foot onto the property. 2300+ feet of driven posts & no climb fence, five gates, two new 10'x18' stalls I built from the ground up, several tons of gravel I've spread and I'm currently residing the barn. I'm halfway done and I did manage to get $33 for the 1100lbs of siding I dropped off to the recycler although loading it on the trailer Monday put me down for two days and I'm still not recovered.

Oh yeah, and all of this on top of the fact that my mortgage payment doubled when I bought this place last August.

But.....I'm not complaining. I've never been more content.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Trust me, I feel your pain already and we've only got one horse which has never stepped foot onto the property. 2300+ feet of driven posts & no climb fence, five gates, two new 10'x18' stalls I built from the ground up, several tons of gravel I've spread and I'm currently residing the barn. I'm halfway done and I did manage to get $33 for the 1100lbs of siding I dropped off to the recycler although loading it on the trailer Monday put me down for two days and I'm still not recovered.

Oh yeah, and all of this on top of the fact that my mortgage payment doubled when I bought this place last August.

But.....I'm not complaining. I've never been more content.
    This is exactly how I feel about things. Horses, goats, land... There is never a lack of something that needs to be done, and I love it. I never imagined that not only would I be living out here but loving it when I was younger. Now I would never go back.

I only wish I wasn't working full time on top of it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I get it. It's worth it.

...but I think i got royally jobbed on the mini horse...but then there's the smiles (not mine...I'm faking it)

Hough-Made.png

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thought I'd post an update as the fight with milkweed continues. I've made progress by spraying the pastures and side pasture with GrazoNext twice this year and I've been able to eliminate about 80% of the milkweed. At this point I think I'm going to have to go out and kill them individually. Rubber glove under a cotton glove and a small bucket of roundup. I think I'll clip the end off the top leaf of each plant when I have wiped it so I won't waste time doing the same one twice. Hopefully that'll wipe it out, for now. I've got about an acre or so on the NE corner of my place which I used to compost manure. It's got a ton of milkweed in it and lots of monarch butterflies so I don't want to wipe it out completely. I reckon it'll be a constant fight to keep it contained to that area but worth it to protect the monarchs.

Top Bottom