Weed Killers - What's The Strongest/Most Effective?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So, I've been battling thistles ever since we had a crazy next door neighbor several years ago that would only mow his yard 2 or 3 times per season. I've tried both Roundup 365 and Ortho Ground Clear Year Long and as far as I can tell, they barely hurt their feelings, let alone kill them. Is there something else that is effective on thistles? I know we can't get dioxin (Agent Orange) anymore but I'd like something that potent.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    41 % glyphosate 3oz, plus 1 tablespoon triclopyr plus 1 to 2 teaspoons spreader sticker all mixed up in a 1gal tank sprayer. this mix will kill just about anything including your lawn LOL you can get the chemicals on line at domyown pestcontrol.

Steve
    Thanks! I'm willing to try anything.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The neighbor man would burn thistles with a torch. He would re torch them every time it looked like they were trying to come back. the next year they were gone. He was a Polish immigrant who grew a lot of food using all natural methods. I asked him about weed killer, and he basically said, why do you want poison in the food you eat?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The neighbor man would burn thistles with a torch. He would re torch them every time it looked like they were trying to come back. the next year they were gone. He was a Polish immigrant who grew a lot of food using all natural methods. I asked him about weed killer, and he basically said, why do you want poison in the food you eat?
    I have a small torch, but most of the thistles are in mulched flower beds, so I don't want to set all the mulch on fire. Besides, it would take multiple 1 lb. propane tanks to burn all the thistles I have. I actually got the torch with that in mind. About all it gets used for now is lighting my brush piles.

Reactions: Leo

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well ya know, Agent Orange was the bar you wanted cleared... can't speak to what pets want to eat.

I know it can wipe out scrub bushes pretty well too...most anything
    Well, the bulk of them are out front, away from where pets would go, so it's probably worth a shot.

Top Bottom