• Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I collect fossils, mostly trilobites:

2007-7446-trilobites.jpg

That's really cool...How does one go about unearthing something like that without breaking the tentacles/spikes on its back?

(BTW, pictures of your collection are necessary.;))

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    First of all, I'm terrified of fish, so all this fishy talk has me a little freaked out.

But if we're talking about expensive hobbies, I play the clarinet. Not a cheap $200 plastic one. My clarinet is worth about $2000 but needs an overhaul at $450. I'm hoping for a brand new one someday, but I've fallen in love with a couple in the $3000 - $4000 range. And it's almost as expensive to feed as my guns. $20 for a box of reeds, which I'm lucky if I get 2-3 good ones out of. A reed when I'm playing hard-core might last a week. And oil, cork grease, sheet music, etc. But I absolutely love it. I wish I had more opportunities to play, but, alas, my day job takes away 50ish play hours away from me each week. ;)

I also direct the handbell choir at my church and am very involved in my local community theatre. Yes, I'm a true music geek. I'm okay with that. :D

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    R/C rock crawling. got second in the state last year. right now rock crawling is one of the fastest growing r/c genres.
    r/c cars in genral
    plastic models(planes, tanks, cars, any thing of the sort)
    over 700 books and over 2000 magazines
    my father collects and restores garden tractors. has about 45. ranging from 1948 to about 1980. i help him alot with it.
    any thing Zippo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I used to fire model rockets as a kid.
    Then 9/11 made it almost impossible to find rocket engines because *gasp, shock* they have propellant in them....

So now I have several display models of Estes rockets.

Cbarnett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Earth
    I build custom smokers. Usually add themes like baseball, football, beer; I made one look like a Case/International tractor.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I collect fossils, mostly trilobites:

Waldron area???? Brookville area???

If you're planning a day collecting trip any time this spring or summer... I'd dearly love to tag along!

I've not found any fully articulated Trilobites. Several heads and pygidiums, and maybe 1 that's all balled up. Nothing at ALL like what you have.

Also have sever rather nice Brachiopds and Bryozoa... But just about everyone that collects fossils has those.

Picked up some nice silicized Crinoid calyxes around Lake Monroe when I was a kid. Have a base-ball sized silicized tabulate coral head, too, that I found in Bloomington.

And a few nice impressions/casts of what I believe to be a Lypocodium-genus tree that I found just north of Tell City.

So...I guess you could say that one of my oddball hobbies is collecting fossils? :dunno:

-J-

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    That's really cool...How does one go about unearthing something like that without breaking the tentacles/spikes on its back?

(BTW, pictures of your collection are necessary.;))

I don't know a lot about prepping the fossils, but I do know it depends on the media that the fossil is in. Techniques I've seen are sand-blasting, abrasion (uses a pen like an engraver) and chemically dissolving the media.

You can see on the one in the picture, that the two large "horns" are broken and reattached.

I'll snap some pictures later this week. I've got a few cool ones.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Waldron area???? Brookville area???

If you're planning a day collecting trip any time this spring or summer... I'd dearly love to tag along!

I've not found any fully articulated Trilobites. Several heads and pygidiums, and maybe 1 that's all balled up. Nothing at ALL like what you have.

Also have sever rather nice Brachiopds and Bryozoa... But just about everyone that collects fossils has those.

Picked up some nice silicized Crinoid calyxes around Lake Monroe when I was a kid. Have a base-ball sized silicized tabulate coral head, too, that I found in Bloomington.

And a few nice impressions/casts of what I believe to be a Lypocodium-genus tree that I found just north of Tell City.

So...I guess you could say that one of my oddball hobbies is collecting fossils? :dunno:

-J-

Most of mine were purchased. I like the Asaphus family that come mostly from Russia, they all look pretty much the same, but over time they evolved eye-stalks:

aspdoub.jpg

pertri.jpg

My other favorite are flexicalymenes. They are not the wildest looking ones out there, but they come from this area, Ohio and right around Franklin, IN. One of the things that make the so good is that the media they're in is limestone, so the fossils come out nice and clean. The pic one below is from Ohio, the ones from Franklin are gray.

caly1.jpg

If I ever find a good place locally, I'll certainly give you a heads up.

One good source is www.indiana9fossils.com.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Most of mine were purchased. I like the Asaphus family that come mostly from Russia, they all look pretty much the same, but over time they evolved eye-stalks:

My other favorite are flexicalymenes. They are not the wildest looking ones out there, but they come from this area, Ohio and right around Franklin, IN. One of the things that make the so good is that the media they're in is limestone, so the fossils come out nice and clean. The pic one below is from Ohio, the ones from Franklin are gray.

If I ever find a good place locally, I'll certainly give you a heads up.

One good source is www.indiana9fossils.com.

Dang!

You had my hopes up that YOU'D collected the ones you have pictured!

And yeah, the Flat Rock River area between "Franklin" and over towards Shelbyville is supposed to be some prime Trilobite hunting grounds. Ironically enough, it's the Waldron Shale formation.

It's the Liberty Formation that's out towards Brookville.

-J-

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    +1 for Tyler and 360!

I aquascape as well. It annoys my family as I focus more on the plants than the fish. Don't have any pics at the moment. Maybe we could start an INGO clippings swap. :)

360, why are you bubbling o2 into a planted tank, breaking the surface tension and releasing that precious co2? :)

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Tried helicopter, I made the mistake of starting with electric on those everyone told me if I would have started with gas i would still be flying them, guess I'll stick to fixed wing.

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Tried helicopter, I made the mistake of starting with electric on those everyone told me if I would have started with gas i would still be flying them, guess I'll stick to fixed wing.

I don't think it's the fact that electrics are harder to fly than a nitro bird, it's the fact that most people go out and start on electrics that are smaller than the average nitro and harder to control due to their smaller size. If you were to start on a Trex 600 it would be easier than a 450 or smaller. Quite expensive though when you crash. :xmad:

I really enjoyed :rolleyes: the $50 repairs every weekend trying to learn to fly my 450.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    +1 for Tyler and 360!

I aquascape as well. It annoys my family as I focus more on the plants than the fish. Don't have any pics at the moment. Maybe we could start an INGO clippings swap. :)

360, why are you bubbling o2 into a planted tank, breaking the surface tension and releasing that precious co2? :)

big +1 for you! I really enjoy aquascaping. I used to do bonsai but I find this the underwater version of it and it really is far more artistic and open ended. I'm just starting a new small low tech scape with a really neat piece of driftwood for my hardscape, now I really need some dwarf riccia to complete my vision.

Top Bottom