• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tim1911

Marksman
    Rating - 87%
    20   3   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Alright, so here it is. I have a friend who at one time had a medical grade titanium rod placed into his femur. He is telling me this rod is about 13-14" long and hollow, with a total diameter of about a quarter of an inch. He would like this rod made into some type of blade. It doesn't seem like there is much there to work with, but that's why I'm asking you guys. I know titanium is very hard and probably not the easiest to work with. What are your thoughts? Could this be done?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Titanium doesn't make the best blades, some blades are partially made of titanium but the cutting edge is made of steel.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    So he wants a blade sticking out of his leg? What kind of people do you hang out with? lol I would think if you hit something with your leg that had a blade out of it like that it would jar the inside of the leg and would freakin hurt like hell. Maybe Im wrong...

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    So he wants a blade sticking out of his leg? What kind of people do you hang out with? lol I would think if you hit something with your leg that had a blade out of it like that it would jar the inside of the leg and would freakin hurt like hell. Maybe Im wrong...

Now THAT'S funny!:laugh: :lmfao::rofl:

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Now I'm pi$$ed off. Lol. I broke my back in a car accident a few years back and they used titanium rods to support my spine to heal. When they removed them, they told me that I was not allowed to have them. They were considered surgical waste.

Anyway, I love titanium. It's fun to play with and make things out of. I have made a couple titanium knives. Another Ingo member embedded carbide on the cutting edge so that it would hold a descent edge. Still not like steel but they will shave hair of my arm.

Now I wouldn't think there is any way to make a knife out of hollow tube, but surely you could use it for something.

FortWayneGunfighter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2012
    The desert...
    hmmm as for yourself i dont know what kind of tools and experience but im sure you could take it to someone who could do that doesnt seem like alot of metal but i would think you may be able to have it turned into the frame for a custom folding knife? anyways my 2 cents

tsalazar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    NWI
    I don't know anything about making blades...but it sound like a really cool idea. Could you let us know if he goes through with it?//and how it comes out??

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Cross drill some holes in the titanium tube halfway down, thread on an arrow at one end and fins at the other end...that's one deadly arrow, those cross drilled holes will cause the target to bleed out

Top Bottom