• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Personally, it is more about continued use than just round count. I put at least a few boxes of ammo through anything before I trust it to carry. Then, it keeps getting range time, a box or two at a time.

So, I could see a BRAND NEW carry gun having only a few hundred rounds. But, if it has been carried for a year or more, it should be higher. If it is your old standby, it should have a few thousand.

Trusting that anything will work after minimal testing, two, three, more years down the road, with no reloading, no cleaning, no cycling, seems, odd...... to me. Besides the fact that one should have at least a LITTLE practice with what they carry.

My Dad called me a couple months back and said that his little pocket gun jammed. He decided to shoot it out in the woods behind his house. He asked if I would take a look at it and clean it for him. I took the pistol apart and there was lint everywhere and it was all rusted up. I asked him when was the last time he cleaned it and he said, after the range that time we all went. I said, so you've carried it in your pocket for 4 years without cleaning or shooting it? Yep. Had had all of a box of ammo in it in that time... :ugh:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    way back when I was a wee little nard....(I was 21)...I owned 3 handguns, one was a ruger p-85 (yes 85, not 89 or 95), a gp100 with a old school red dot scope, and a 357 mag desert eagle, I had sent the ruger back to fix the "ruger curse" (you know, every gun ruger designs has to be recalled for a free safety upgrade). there was no way I could carry the gp100, didn't have a holster.....so that left the de with the magnum research branded uncle mikes vertical shoulder holster (with the desert eagle logo embroidered on it)

my sister was at Vincennes university and called home (this was back in about 91) and was sick, mom was at work, dad was sleeping, so I drove up to get her (from Evansville) with a 357 mag desert eagle in a shoulder holster, and back then I was a little smaller than I am now, I was 5'9" and 165 pounds, I bet I looked like I had a tumor the size of a small elephant, and by the time I got back home, my left shoulder felt like it was about 3 inches lower than my right shoulder!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have a S&W 629 with a 5-inch barrel. Not exactly "weird", but I don't carry it very often, so when I do I am much more aware of it than when carrying my EDC. About the only time I ever carry it is when I am deer hunting. The 629 is very noticeably bigger and bulkier than my EDC, a commander size 1911.

Jkwrangler70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2016
    Lafayette
    the coolest CCW weapon that I've ever seen was a Bruger & Thommett USW. It's essentially a Kriss SDP Sphinx with a wire side folding stock. Technically it's an SBR but the guy said he carried it daily. With the stock folded, it's not much larger than a standard full size handgun. He carried it in a OWB drop-thigh holster

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a S&W 629 with a 5-inch barrel. Not exactly "weird", but I don't carry it very often, so when I do I am much more aware of it than when carrying my EDC. About the only time I ever carry it is when I am deer hunting. The 629 is very noticeably bigger and bulkier than my EDC, a commander size 1911.

That's a Henry Bowman carry gun, sir!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    way back when I was a wee little nard....(I was 21)...I owned 3 handguns, one was a ruger p-85 (yes 85, not 89 or 95), a gp100 with a old school red dot scope, and a 357 mag desert eagle, I had sent the ruger back to fix the "ruger curse" (you know, every gun ruger designs has to be recalled for a free safety upgrade). there was no way I could carry the gp100, didn't have a holster.....so that left the de with the magnum research branded uncle mikes vertical shoulder holster (with the desert eagle logo embroidered on it)

my sister was at Vincennes university and called home (this was back in about 91) and was sick, mom was at work, dad was sleeping, so I drove up to get her (from Evansville) with a 357 mag desert eagle in a shoulder holster, and back then I was a little smaller than I am now, I was 5'9" and 165 pounds, I bet I looked like I had a tumor the size of a small elephant, and by the time I got back home, my left shoulder felt like it was about 3 inches lower than my right shoulder!

Winner!!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    He was the protagonist in the classic novel, Unintended Consequences, by John Ross (out of print now).

I wonder if the character in the novel was based on the real-life Henry Bowman, one of the Tuskegee Airmen, true bad ass:

Mr. Bowman served with the 99th and 100th Fighter Squadrons, which became part of the famed 332d Fighting Group, flying P-40's and P-51's in North Africa and in Italy. The Tuskegee airmen provided cover for bombers on missions over widespread targets in Europe.

His son said Mr. Bowman had picked up the nickname Jesse -- as in Jesse James -- in Italy for his role in an episode the Tuskegee airmen called the Great Train Robbery.

The foray was of the type known in the military as a midnight requisition. Resentful that wing tanks, used to increase the range of fighter planes by holding extra fuel, were going to units of white airmen, the Tuskegee airmen decided to take matters into their own hands. Mr. Bowman and a comrade led a convoy of trucks and jeeps to hold up a supply train at gunpoint. With the Great Train Robbery, the shortage of tanks in their unit ended.

Henry Bowman, 74, Fighter Pilot Who Broke Referee Color Barrier - NYTimes.com

Top Bottom