• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The weird things I hear of people carry are things that are untested.

"Up for sale is this pistol. I've only got 50 rounds through it. Carried it for a year with no issues".

If you haven't USED your carry gun and have 100% faith that it'll work every single trigger pull - that's weird. May as well carry it as a magic talisman vs. a tool that, you know, may need to be relied upon to save your life.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I once saw a picture on Reddit taken in a gun shop out west somewhere the guy in the pic had a super cheap looking drop leg holster poorly attached to his leg with what looked like a 1911 one slight sneeze from falling out.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    An Titanium snub .44 Special S&W 296 like this...(Kicked like a mule)

SW296.jpg

And just for giggles one time I carried a Miroku Sharps Derringer...

picture%20670.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Lwright

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the really cool responses, guys. The weirdest have seen were both derringers. One is a 32 black powder single shot that my uncle sometimes carries and the other is a 22 short single shot derringer that a buddy of mine carries. Both do seem to be very bad ideas.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The weird things I hear of people carry are things that are untested.

"Up for sale is this pistol. I've only got 50 rounds through it. Carried it for a year with no issues".

If you haven't USED your carry gun and have 100% faith that it'll work every single trigger pull - that's weird. May as well carry it as a magic talisman vs. a tool that, you know, may need to be relied upon to save your life.

Yep, exactly what I call it. If you haven't run hundreds to thousands of rounds through it to know it's reliable, you must subscribe to the magical talisman theory of carry. I say the same for anyone who carries without a round in the chamber, or who has never practiced their draw from the holster they're carrying their firearm in.

I once saw a picture on Reddit taken in a gun shop out west somewhere the guy in the pic had a super cheap looking drop leg holster poorly attached to his leg with what looked like a 1911 one slight sneeze from falling out.

I was open carrying in Kroger a couple years back. Had a 1911 that I was carrying in a Galco Combat Master, nice and tight on my gun belt. I come around the corner of an aisle and there's an overweight guy who looks like he's in his early 20's, wearing a huge metal something or another in a floppy nylon holster attached to a floppy belt that looked loose. As the guy started walking towards me the gun looked like it was flopping around on his hip. As I got closer, my feelings must have shown on my face because he just glared at me and stomped on by... :ugh:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Is that a 4 barrel?

Yes sir...Wife "liberated" it for her derringer collection...Along with a High Standard model 101 Derringer....Miroku started making them in 1967 and then 1968 GCA came out and........

Then they were gone....They are a well made copy of the Sharps Derringer......I shot it at the farm one time....Not a tack driver....:)

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Sometimes I break out the Para P14 and carry it in a shoulder holster with 2 extra mags on the opposite side. Kind of the size of a Desert Eagle but with a whole box of ammo on hand.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I saw a guy carrying one of the mini 22 revolvers snapped into a western style belt buckle.

Better than nothing? Yeah, I suppose..... I know I wouldn't want to find out!

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    EDC is a HK P7M8, that's kinda rare/odd.

Sometimes I break out the Para P14 and carry it in a shoulder holster with 2 extra mags on the opposite side. Kind of the size of a Desert Eagle but with a whole box of ammo on hand.

Not that big, just a chubby 5" 1911. (I also have one and also carry it on occasion when concealment is a non-issue;)). promag makes 20 round mags, in case you've been hiding under a rock, and they still work better than my factory mag.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Once upon a time back in the Dark Ages I would be caught traveling with a Luger or a 1907 Savage on days I decided I was bored with the usual 1911.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    EDC is a HK P7M8, that's kinda rare/odd.

Not that big, just a chubby 5" 1911. (I also have one and also carry it on occasion when concealment is a non-issue;)). promag makes 20 round mags, in case you've been hiding under a rock, and they still work better than my factory mag.

LOL, that's like a box and a half of ammo...

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Iver Johnson top break 5 shot .32 S&W short “don’t need a big gun just have to have one on ya” whatever!
    Guy is an idiot in more ways than just EDC choice.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    For the folks above questioning those who don't put 1,000 rounds through a carry gun:

What is your logic on this? 100 flawless rounds might be a fluke? 500 flawless might be a fluke? How do you decide when enough is enough? Is it 500 for some brands but 1,000 for others? If you buy spare magazines, how many rounds does the magazine need to prove itself? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, just curious about your parameters for judgment.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For the folks above questioning those who don't put 1,000 rounds through a carry gun:

What is your logic on this? 100 flawless rounds might be a fluke? 500 flawless might be a fluke? How do you decide when enough is enough? Is it 500 for some brands but 1,000 for others? If you buy spare magazines, how many rounds does the magazine need to prove itself? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, just curious about your parameters for judgment.

I think it depends on the make and model of the gun. If it's a Glock or a metal-framed Sig, a few hundred rounds total and a few magfuls of carry ammo is enough to vette. A 1911? I'd want several hundred rounds of carry ammo using all of my carry magazines with 100% function through it before I'd carry it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I think it depends on the make and model of the gun. If it's a Glock or a metal-framed Sig, a few hundred rounds total and a few magfuls of carry ammo is enough to vette. A 1911? I'd want several hundred rounds of carry ammo using all of my carry magazines with 100% function through it before I'd carry it.

Each person has to set their own criteria, but that sounds reasonable. For myself, 500 flawless rounds would be the minimum I'd be comfortable with. If you're trusting your life to this tool, what makes you think 50 rounds is enough? I've had guns choke in the first 50 rounds and guns that had issues after a couple of hundred. If get ~500 rounds through a gun with no problem, I feel pretty confident. I also look at this question another way. If the gun is your EDC, you should be putting rounds through it on a a periodic basis, during training, at the range, or both. A gun that has been carried that only has 50 rounds through it means you haven't practiced with it enough. Now, it may be a new gun that you ran 50 rounds through, carried it a couple of days and decided you didn't like it. I get that. A lot of times I've seen though, people post up a gun they've carried for quite a while with that few rounds through it, which doesn't make sense to me. Again, everyone has their own comfort level and criteria.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Ruger LCP. It felt good in my hand in the store.
    It carried nice and out of sight.
    When I finally got to the range.
    After a couple of shots. The trigger felt like I was pulling on a knife blade.
    Also when I was doing quick draw practice and dry fire.
    The trigger would not unlock several times.
    Then I also realized. The trigger guard was so small.
    You could not be wearing gloves and draw and fire.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Personally, it is more about continued use than just round count. I put at least a few boxes of ammo through anything before I trust it to carry. Then, it keeps getting range time, a box or two at a time.

So, I could see a BRAND NEW carry gun having only a few hundred rounds. But, if it has been carried for a year or more, it should be higher. If it is your old standby, it should have a few thousand.

Trusting that anything will work after minimal testing, two, three, more years down the road, with no reloading, no cleaning, no cycling, seems, odd...... to me. Besides the fact that one should have at least a LITTLE practice with what they carry.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Personally, it is more about continued use than just round count. I put at least a few boxes of ammo through anything before I trust it to carry. Then, it keeps getting range time, a box or two at a time.

So, I could see a BRAND NEW carry gun having only a few hundred rounds. But, if it has been carried for a year or more, it should be higher. If it is your old standby, it should have a few thousand.

Trusting that anything will work after minimal testing, two, three, more years down the road, with no reloading, no cleaning, no cycling, seems, odd...... to me. Besides the fact that one should have at least a LITTLE practice with what they carry.

No disagreement. My response was a minimum before I would carry a gun. Continuing to carry it is a related but different question.

Top Bottom