• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    So while looking at various AR builds on the web i discovered that the flat spot makes a puzzle type ar kit that you weld together. It appears well within the limits of my little welder and if not i have the big welders at work. it looks like it is made mostly of 10 gauge mild steel. I figure it will make a fun project so i went ahead and ordered one just now. Will hopefully post updates unless it turns into a complete mess even then i might post updates just for laughs lol.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    quite a few attempts/builds on weapons guild he hangs around there a bit ... most of the guys turned them into useable lowers not all of them have been pretty but that's not the point .... most of the welding ive seen been done by flux-core so a mig should be quite pretty ( i will say a sheet metal ar is kinda cool especially when they have been color blued) i maybe wrong they do it quite a bit on high end lever actions

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I plan on using mig maybe tig if i can use the pulse tig at work but probably just my personal mig. I seen a couple that were color case hardened and thought about doing it to but i guess i better make sure i can get it together before i decide how to finish it.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Tagged for pics as well. I always look at it, then buy a cheap Anderson lower. I go the lazy route... I'd love to see what you end up with!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Tagged for pics. I've been wondering if anyone has cast their own aluminum lower. Seems pretty easy to me.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    went out and got some c25 today. usps says the kit will be delivered on Monday even though its 2 day shipping and its been sitting in Wichita since Wednesday:xmad:. my hobart isnt the best welder on earth but i should be able to make it work. wish i had the tap for the buffer tube but i guess im just going to weld on a castle nut. I may put the buffer tube tower in the 4 jaw and bore the ID to the OD of the castle nut and plug weld it that might work idk:dunno:. also just joined weaponsguild and the first thing i see is a write up on these.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You will like that forum! I've seen some posts about how some have dealt with the buffer threads, I just don't remember the outcome. If you post your build on there I would not be surprised if someone loaned you a tap. They do have a tool loaner program . They have a quality post minimum. It's not hard to do on that forum. So many subjects of interest. including a "other things that shoot" Post some pics and info on your mortars etc.

Please do a thread here on your build!

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    i have been thinking about casting my own 80% (i think casting the fcg pocket would be a pita) I casted bigger things in school so i dont see were it would be too complicated. heck all the bits and pieces of al round stock i have laying around i made from pop cans.

just read the thread about scratch built ar recievers on WG and i am amazed at that dudes talent

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    good news my dad and i just sat down and tore apart my tig welder and fixed it :rockwoot:which is pretty cool since it came messed up so i havent been able to use it yet. dont really know what im doing with tig but given enough time i'll figure it out. I am halfway decent with pulse tig but my machine is a baseline model so i have to start fresh. so i'll probably mig my first one and then order a few more and tig them.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Well set the gopro up to shoot a time lapse off the build however my tig setup interferes with the camera some how so it was all static so 3 hours of work i thought i recorded is really just snow:(

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    ar.jpg well heres the lower as it is now. I also have the buffer tube tower pieces welded together. been an interesting project so far needed some material removed here and there but it coming together.

Top Bottom