• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Looking at a Winchester from the 1890s that has had the tang welded back on after being broken. I'll assume the work was good, but are there issues with mixing modern welding with steel over 100 years old?:dunno:

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I wouldn't worry too much about it on the tang, but if they welded anywhere near the chamber I would recommend having it checked by someone qualified to assess the heat treatment.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If you are going to shoot it I would have a welder look at it. Even have it Magnafluxed to be safe. Why guess. Can it be safely welded, most likely. But is will most certainly need to be stress relieved when it's done.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    ^This^
    From my limited understanding of metallurgy, you're half right OP. It's not so much the 100 year old metal but the conditions it's been in and type of alloy. Things like hitches and plow mounts can have issues with hydrogen cracking from being exposed to the elements. IE weld it, use it, it breaks from the metal coming unzipped right along the weld OR the alloy of the filler metal or added bits being the wrong hardness/brittleness/melleability and not dealing with the shock load of firing the weapon. I wouldn't go at it with my garage welder but maybe the tig at work if I weren't too concerned with the longevity/use. If I wanted it fixed to original or better I'd talk to a gunsmith who does such repairs.

Top Bottom