• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Good build. I agree, Swenson makes a decent product, heaven help you to fit it though. Its built RIAs that make my heart feel great! I will now bobtail my Taurus after seeing this!

Trigger Pull: The biggest thing I did to my 1911s: Light sear spring, lighter mainspring (about 10 bucks there) then flitz the contact points on all your bearing surfaces inside the gun. That alone drops a "felt" pound. I polished until I could tell color differences between my pupil and my iris when I looked into it. Then lube with a light oil (Rem Oil).

Those RIAs rule though. I may have to pick up their compact one day! Great Build!

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Home smithing is not my cup of tea, but it is your gun and your money and elbow grease, and it looks like you did a good job. :thumbsup:

Have you had any reliability issues at all since the mods?

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    Just got a RIA. I'm completely new to 1911's. Any suggestions for improvement that is easy to do, and where I should get the parts.
    Like grips, mags, etc.
    Thanks.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

Which model? The standard military or the "Tactical" model?

First, go out and shoot 200 rounds through it. Note what you don't like about it. After you've found out what you dislike, report back and I and others will be able to guide you better.

I'm thinking that right off the bat you'd probably want an arched mainspring housing since you're used to the Glock grip angle.

But let's see how it shoots for you, stock. Pay attention to anything that gets in the way of your draw, or anything that abrades, pinches or cuts you.

Josh <><

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    to all the rock island fans: i have a pretty specific set of desired characteristics in mind. I'm trying to find out if I need to custom order a pistol or buy frame, slide, and barrel separately and have a competent smith mate them all up. What I want is a high capacity 1911 with an integral light rail, and a long slide with a match grade 6 inch barrel (and maybe a compensator). I would prefer to have this be a rock island product. I realize there are manufacturers who offer similar packages to this, but I don't know anyone who has any of their products. I've never heard anyone bad mouth rock island on any front, and I also think that they will bring it in for a better price than anyone else. thoughts?

Top Bottom