Well it's official. I just cut the cable.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Congratulations! I cut the cable several years ago and have been totally fine with it.

Two of the most amusing things I have noticed are:

1: Not watching a single episode of a series until something interesting has finished it's run, binge watching the whole series.
    2: I have a good friend who is a sports fan. When he comes over and there is a sportsball game, he gets pretty fidgety because I have no way to watch it. I like to play sports, but watching strangers play sports bores the **** out of me.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    so.... you "cut cable" by cancelling your antenna-based reception and will replace it with an antenna. Heehee.

Sure, I'll take a coke, do you have pepsi? :):

but seriously, if you want that channelmaster DVR+ it's yours free of charge.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Took a Raspberry Pi and built a KODI server on it...the Pi 3B has built in Wifi, and I have super cheap DSL...between the Kodi, Netflix, and Amazon...there is not much we can't see if we want to see it.

I've been wanting to do the Raspberry Pi thing. Did you buy it already assembled or did you build it? I've seen them on ebay preloaded with Kodi and with a wireless keyboard for about $80-90.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    What do you all do for internet service?

We have DSL through the phone company. I "negotiated" for an hour with them and got my bill down to $56 (after taxes) for internet and phone with unlimited long distance. I'm a good negotiater :):

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Man I wish.......My spouse would loose it.....:):

I have the same issue. DirecTV bill is cheaper than a divorce, and for that matter having to spend a ton of time talking to her ;-)

I personally could do without TV.

I do however call in each year and negotiate a discount for pretty much all my discretionary utilities (internet, DirecTV, etc).

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    What do you all do for internet service?

No internet here... we just use our cell phones to surf the web around the house. If we absolutely have to do something that requires internet we have a gym membership and they have free WiFi at our gym, or go to Starbucks or McDonald's and break out the lap top. We've got unlimited data on our phones too so we have been known to use them as a HotSpot too.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We will be scaling back, but my wife would murder me if we lost all her channels. She has switched to Netflix and Amazon for a lot of shows, so I can likely drop to the next lower package.

That said, the TV part of my cable bill is not all that bad. I need fast/reliable Internet and s second phone line for work, and work pays for it. A couple hundred bucks a year for my wife's sanity (and my safety) is a small price to pay!

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I find myself to be more productive when we don't have any way to watch tv....we cut the cord a long time ago, but still have streaming tv service....at least we are saving $50-60 a month now.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    We haven't had cable or satellite since July 2012. Wife got pregnant within a month, so we didn't really save any money. Have a Roku, still need to put up an antenna.

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    I still have high speed internet.

Who is your provider? I've been thinking of cutting cable, but I'm also reading that AT/T and Comcast are now smart to the cord cutters and charging based on usage for those who stream content. They are capping usage charging a lot for overages. Curious if you have run into that.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Who is your provider? I've been thinking of cutting cable, but I'm also reading that AT/T and Comcast are now smart to the cord cutters and charging based on usage for those who stream content. They are capping usage charging a lot for overages. Curious if you have run into that.

I have century link. It's the only high speed internet provider in my little town. Unless I want to go with one of the bandwidth satellite companies.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

Newwave Communication...Having had their 50Mbps rated internet, it lags a lot for the speed you pay for.

...switched to comcast and haven't looked back.

Top Bottom